FORUMS: list search recent posts

flagged frames on outputto DVCPro HD?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cmlundy
flagged frames on outputto DVCPro HD?
on Jan 23, 2007 at 2:08:35 pm

If I output a 720p 23.98 sequence from FCP thru Kona 3 does it create flagged frames that can be written to tape on the Panasonic 1700 DVCPro HD deck? My understanding is it would if I output via firewire because that's what we do on the Avid side. Our workflow is that we are usually given P2 footage that was shot 24pN so it is already 23.98. We just import and string up a sequence so we can make a new "master" tape for eventual editing. So we want to have a DVCPro HD tape that has 24 over 60 with flagged frames. Is there a specific setup of the deck and/or the Kona control panel that will get this pattern into the User Bits on the tape? I know about the RP-188 check box when inputing thru the Kona but wasn't sure if that coupled with turning on User Bits on the deck would give the correct result. Also, wouldn't the deck need to get External TC and User Bits to see something from the computer? Usually when outputing the deck is doing an Assemble edit and regen is set to internal. Any thoughts on this process?

Much appreciated.

-Chris Lundy
[PostWorks] New York

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: flagged frames on outputto DVCPro HD?
on Jan 23, 2007 at 5:42:14 pm

The user-bits should be on in the deck and you should be sending Rp188 to the deck already. As a test, you can lay off a few seconds and then try and recapture @ 23.98 and see if you get any redundant frames in the capture. It should work perfectly.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 25, 2007 at 3:19:27 pm

[cmlundy] "If I output a 720p 23.98 sequence from FCP thru Kona 3 does it create flagged frames that can be written to tape on the Panasonic 1700 DVCPro HD deck?"

No FCP cannot do this, however you can output that 720p24 with flags from Kona TV or AJA's VTR exchange to the 1700 deck over HDSDI

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

cmlundy
on Jan 25, 2007 at 10:50:32 pm

How is it that it should work within VTR XChange and not Final Cut? Is it not just a setting in the Control Panel or something? How would you set up this output, what deck settings allow the creation of the flagged frames in the User Bits?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 26, 2007 at 2:36:16 pm

[cmlundy] "How is it that it should work within VTR XChange and not Final Cut? "

FCP does not have the ability to send or receive TC info over HDSDI.

"s it not just a setting in the Control Panel or something? How would you set up this output, what deck settings allow the creation of the flagged frames in the User Bits?"

It works on the card just not from FCP. The Control Panel does not have a setting for this, and the UB setting on the panny decks is on by default for video over HDSDI

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

cmlundy
on Jan 29, 2007 at 5:41:28 pm

Gary,
I gave this a shot via Kona TV and VTR Xchange. VTR Xchange doesn't let you play the files out. DVCPro HD clips at 23.98 or 59.94 load up with the note "Incompatible format for recording". It doesn't seem possible to use said clips in VTR Xchange because there are no playback output setting as exists in FCP or Kona TV. Am I missing something?

I can, however, load the clips in Kona TV. But I'm not sure the TC looks right. The 23.98 clip has timecode that jumps several frame numbers at a time. I assume it may be okay once it hits the tape but who knows? The 59.94 clip has slightly different timecode than when I look at the same clip inside of FCP. There must be issues with the TC from the P2 counting 60 frames and not 30, even though when layed to tape it will count 30. How would a tape output from Kona TV ever refer back to the 60 TC on the P2 clip?

Lastly, does the QT Timecode box need to be checked in the Kona Control Panel for this HD-SDI embedded TC to work?

Thanks.
chris lundy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 29, 2007 at 6:40:24 pm

[cmlundy] "I can, however, load the clips in Kona TV. But I'm not sure the TC looks right. The 23.98 clip has timecode that jumps several frame numbers at a time."

this is normal for video from tape as the TC is set to 59.94 (P2) / 29.97 (tape) so holes in the TC would be normal - when you remove frames the TC base does not change --Unless you are working with 720p24PN footage from the HVX. Then the TC is based on 24 fps

"Lastly, does the QT Timecode box need to be checked in the Kona Control Panel for this HD-SDI embedded TC to work"
NO that is for window burns.

VTR exchange is for Capture only
Kona TV is the Playout app.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]