FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDSDI output problems

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
morgster
HDSDI output problems
on Jan 21, 2007 at 9:22:32 pm

I am trying to output 1080i DVCPROHD footage thru my Kona LH card via HDSDI from Final Cut Pro to a Panasonic 1200a deck. I know this is a simple process via firewire, which I have no problems doing. As I understand it, because the DVCPROHD codec is an 8 bit codec and as the deck records that, I should be able to output it via HDSDI to the deck as well.

Basically when I open my 'edit to tape' window I have deck control and video is actually being output to the deck no problems... I know this because I can crash record to the deck via HDSDI no probs... the problems comes when I want to perform a frame accurate 'edit to tape'. I open the 'edit to tape' window and when I drag an drop my timeline into assemble edit, nothing happens. Basically insert edit/assemble edit/preview are not being highlighted by FCP... they are preventing me from playing out from tape. It is weird as I have no problems outputting via firewire, the assemble edit function works well. It is almost as if FCP is preventing me from outputting via HDSDI (in assemble mode anyway). The reason I want to do this is I am setting my suite up for online and want to be able to record uncompressed 8 bit HD to tape. Do I have to capture in the 8 bit uncompressed codec to output to the deck? If that is the case then shouldn't I not be able to crash record to the deck?

Can anyone help me out?

Cheers,

Morgster

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: HDSDI output problems
on Jan 21, 2007 at 11:02:41 pm

The 1200A does not perform assemble edits using rs-422 and as you have found it does a little bit with firewire, but it's hard to get it accurate.

It's not the Kona, it's not FCP, it's the deck. You can crash record to the deck, just be sure to put the deck in HD SDI mode.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

morgster
on Jan 21, 2007 at 11:51:37 pm

Jeremy,

Thanks for the response... that's what I thought. I can crash record no problems. Can you tell me which panasonic deck I need to output to? Does the new 1400a output via HDSDI assemble edit? I have been able to output to a sony HDCAM deck no probs.

Thanks for the help,

Morgster

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jan 22, 2007 at 1:08:53 am

Yes, the 1400 does and does it well. If you can find one, it is much easier to use and choosing which in/out you want is now the push of button on the front panel instead of digging through menus. It's a really nice deck and what the 1200 should have been long ago... It also supports 1080p24A which is cool.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 22, 2007 at 12:33:19 am

[morgster] "the problems comes when I want to perform a frame accurate 'edit to tape'. I open the 'edit to tape' window and when I drag an drop my timeline into assemble edit, nothing happens"

1200A does not support RS-422 during Edit to Tape. RS-422 only works for playback, don't ask me why, this is how Panasonic designed it.

If you want to edit to tape via HD-SDI, use the AJA Kona Easy Setup for the DVCPro HD format you're editing with. Then go into Device Settings and change that to DVCPro HD Firewire instead of RS-422. The 1200A has an offset when editing to tape so you need to do a lot of trial and error to get it to accurately lay off your master to tape.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

morgster
on Jan 23, 2007 at 2:41:19 am

'if you want to edit to tape via HD-SDI, use the AJA Kona Easy Setup for the DVCPro HD format you're editing with. Then go into Device Settings and change that to DVCPro HD Firewire instead of RS-422. The 1200A has an offset when editing to tape so you need to do a lot of trial and error to get it to accurately lay off your master to tape'

Thanks for your help... I would never have figured that out... I tried it today at the office and after a bit of guess and test to get the offset right, it worked great. Thanks again.

Morgster

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]