FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 SDI to high quality DVD burner

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
michael pierre
Kona 3 SDI to high quality DVD burner
on Jan 19, 2007 at 2:30:36 am

Is there a way to go from SDI on my KONA 3 to some kind of high quality production grade DVD burner.
I absolutely can't stand encoding anymore. It's to slow and I never have liked the results.

Does anyone know if a high quality DVD burner with SDI I/O exists? or are there any other options available?

aaaarggghh.

thank you!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Kona 3 SDI to high quality DVD burner
on Jan 19, 2007 at 2:34:41 am

Go Composite plus RCA audio out of your K3-Box or get an AJA Io LA and go Component or S-Video from that to your DVD Recorder. We do both here.

But keep in mind, no DVD Recorder I've seen is as good a quality as something like Compressor or BitVice.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

ken hon
on Jan 19, 2007 at 2:48:04 am

The only professional DVD recorder I know of is the Pioneer LVX and it has optional SDI boards. It costs about 5k, not sure what the boards cost. I think it does a good job of encoding but I've never seen one. You would then have to rip your mpeg file off the disk and bring it into DVD SP, it's not too hard.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/top/product/0,,2076_310070063,0...

The other way is to get an encoding board and put it in another computer. We have an old ZAPEX SDI encoding board that is great, we just dump straight from the Kona Card to the Zapex, encode on a PC and move it to the Mac on a firewire drive. I think Digital Rapids makes some nice cards for PC's that don't cost too much. I'm not sure there is anything around for Macs anymore, maybe someone else knows.

Return to posts index

dkearnes
on Jan 19, 2007 at 4:56:00 am

We use 2 of the Pioneer units and they are great! You can record to one or both dvd drives and/or the hard drive at the same time. 99% of the time we are making a one off for approval or a t/c burn for screening. You can do authoring, chapters etc by connecting a keyboard and mouse. With the bit rate set right, the DVDs look very good. Great units and very well made. We have both of ours on our router, One gets SDI and AES audio, and the other gets composite video/stereo audio. We mostly use the composite unit to catch air checks of our shows for clients off of Direct TV or Dish Network. The SDI unit gets Digibeta masters or playouts directly from an edit suite. The disks play well in most computers and DVD players. We had a few clients with a older DVD player that had some playback issues and we just upgraded those units and things work great now.

Living On Tulsa Time!

Return to posts index

michael pierre
on Jan 19, 2007 at 7:45:19 pm

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it! I'm gonna have to get my hands on one of these pioneers.
would you say the quality surpasses software compression to DVD?
How does it stand up to say a big budget hollywood film DVD?

thank you,
Michael

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jan 19, 2007 at 9:13:44 pm

I think you'd be better off with bitvice. The pioneers are not cheap, and the menus look horrible and rather difficult to setup. It's been a while since I used one, but the encoding was proprietary and it you can't just rip the DVDs and demux like normal and expect to use that in DVDSP. Perhaps that has changed in the past few years.

[michael pierre] "How does it stand up to say a big budget hollywood film DVD?"

Not even close.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 19, 2007 at 10:43:50 pm

Michael -
you want, what everyone wants. They want to hit the play button on their edit system, send the video into a box (the DVD recorder box, the HD-DVD recorder box), and just make a quick super quality DVD, that can play back anywhere.

WELL, it doesn't exist. The Pioneer, as has been described here, is the best of the bunch, but the only way you are going to make a "Hollywood quality" DVD is by using an authoring system and products like compressor. If you "just don't have the time to screw with this" - you can purchase an Optibase MPEG 2 encoder card, that will MPEG encode your video to MPEG 2 format in real time, but you still have to get this signal onto a DVD-R.

"Don't they just make something - AT ANY COST - that you can just hit a button and do it" -

NO.
Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

dkearnes
on Jan 19, 2007 at 11:57:26 pm

Michael,
I think "Hollywood Quality" is rather a subjective thing. If you are making a DVD that doesn't require authoring and can be made from a D1 video signal, the quality of the Pioneer is good. The longer the program the more you have to crank on the compression (as is the case with any method).

If you would like to see a sample of your work, contact me and I'll run something for you so you can see the quality for yourself. It may or may not be for you. It sounded like you were looking to save a little time on some DVDs and you can with this unit.

We also duplicate the disks we make with the Pioneer with two of our DVD duplicators. No problems there.

If sending me something to put on DVD doesn't sound good to you, we demoed a unit from Pioneer before we bought our first one. Perhaps you could set up a demo in your facility.

Let me know!

David Kearnes

dkearnes@winnercomm.com
dkearnes@mac.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 20, 2007 at 1:08:21 am

When I want to make a great looking DVD with menus for final distribution, I use DVD Studio Pro.

BUT, when I need to send a DVD of the show to the network or the producer for notes, I output from my Kona LH to a Panasonic DVD Recorder that cost me $165. Quality is good, which is all I need.

Oh...but I have the LH. Yeah, get the K-Box for the Kona 3 and you will have composite outs...

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

ronnyron
on Jan 20, 2007 at 4:46:41 pm

I use the DMR-ES35VS from Panasonic. Great unit for quick window/client dubs.
For final delivery, nothing beats DVDSP. Its that extra "wow" factor clients like. These units don't generate award winning menus, and the ones that do are a pain in the a** to setup.

Ron

RIOT Productions
G5, Kona LH, Atto UL4D, FCP5, QT 7.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]