FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XL2 24pa capture and edit setup in Final Cut Pro using Kona2

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Sommerfeld
Canon XL2 24pa capture and edit setup in Final Cut Pro using Kona2
on Jan 18, 2007 at 6:17:45 pm

Hi fellas,
I'm setting up to cut a project in Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 that was shot with the Canon XL-2 in 24pa (advanced) mode. I'm running a Kona2 and want to upconvert the footage to DVCProHD 720p and edit in that format at 24fps.
My question is: what should my project setup settings be for this process? I'm confused about the required settings for the Kona Control Panel and the Final Cut Pro Capture and Sequence settings. I've dicked around for many hours trying to set up the capture and edit correctly but to no avail.
Many thanks,
Simon.

Simon Sommefeld
Redwood City CA

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Canon XL2 24pa capture and edit setup in Final Cut Pro using Kona2
on Jan 18, 2007 at 6:26:35 pm

I think it's impossible to do with a Kona 2 or any capture card for FCP. I am not sure there's a card that will strip the advanced pulldown then upconvert to 720p24.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Simon Sommerfeld
on Jan 18, 2007 at 6:50:39 pm

Thanks for your reply, Jeremy.

So, I guess my options are to edit it at 30 in DVCProHD or at 24 on a DV25 timeline?
What about 1080p? Is it possible to bring the footage in at that? There are sony psf settings for 1080 at 24 which I experimented with but of course that didn't work. I could stripe a RAID that can handle the data rate.

In a general sense, I'm still confused about the relatioship between the Kona Contol Panel settings and FCP project capture/project settings. Specifically, how to set the Kona Primary Format and Secondary Format relative to FCP settings.

Best,
Simon.

Simon Sommefeld
Redwood City CA

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jan 18, 2007 at 7:37:17 pm

The problem is, is that you have that advanced pulldown which was designed to edit @ 24 so the pulldown is a little different (less pleasing to the eye, but easier to get to 23.98) than regular 3:2 pulldown. If you capture the up-converted footage with the advanced pulldown in tact, the resulting captures might look weird. I'd call AJA and see what they say, but every time I've called and asked about capturing and removing advanced pulldown, it never seems to make the 'to do' list. Perhaps it's not an easy thing to implement.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 18, 2007 at 8:29:42 pm

[JeremyG] "I think it's impossible to do with a Kona 2 or any capture card for FCP. I am not sure there's a card that will strip the advanced pulldown then upconvert to 720p24."

Correct it takes a lot of horsepower to convert to progressive from an interlaced source in real time.
you could capture at 1080i60 DVCPROHD then use CT to remove the pulldown to achieve your 108023.98Psf.

Do not USE "Capture Now" for this you will need to log every clip so the cadence is correct then Batch digitize.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jan 18, 2007 at 8:34:47 pm

Would that work with advanced pulldown Gary?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 19, 2007 at 1:04:22 am

[JeremyG] "Would that work with advanced pulldown Gary?"

Sure does Jeremy
Since the 3.1 version of CT you have had the ability to remove advanced pulldown from HD Sources

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jan 19, 2007 at 2:28:26 am

Even if the material originates on DV, is upconverted through the Kona, and then going to Cinema Tools? Really? Wow. Cool!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Simon Sommerfeld
on Jan 18, 2007 at 8:48:53 pm

Thanks Jeremy and Gary for your help,

I'll call AJA and ask them for workflow suggestions and also use Gary's suggestion and remove the pulldown with CT. Thanks for the batch capture tip.
Speaking of horsepower, I'm running an original G5 dual 2.0. Just hoping it can handle the 1080i 60.

Best,
Simon.

Simon Sommefeld
Redwood City CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]