FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Sonnet Raid w/ 750 Gig drives

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Wild
OT: Sonnet Raid w/ 750 Gig drives
on Jan 17, 2007 at 7:28:15 pm

Has anyone tested the new 750Gig drives (Seagate, in particular) in a Sonnet Fusion 500P array? (Using Kona LHe and Final Cut)

I'm trying to do a multicamera edit with 5 streams of uncompressed 8 bit footage. I did a minute long, 5 stream test and FCP seemed to do just fine with the Sonnet I have now (5x500gig drives), but am wondering if I may have trouble when they're more full. I'll be pushing it with the amount of footage (probably around 25 hours total) on the existing 2.2TB raid I have now, so I may get the 750Gigs x 5.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Kevin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: OT: Sonnet Raid w/ 750 Gig drives
on Jan 17, 2007 at 8:06:31 pm

[Kevin Wild] "Has anyone tested the new 750Gig drives (Seagate, in particular) in a Sonnet Fusion 500P array? (Using Kona LHe and Final Cut)"

I'm pretty sure those are the units used in the CalDigit Duo 1.5TB SATA unit which I reviewed for the Cow and we had zero issues with them in the 5 weeks we ran it here. We're now running the 3.75TB CalDigit S2VR HD which I believe has 5 of those drives in there and it's running very solid about a month now.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

ronnyron
on Jan 18, 2007 at 12:13:01 am

Just curious...not to start a new thread, but, Walter, how are you running the Caldigit? JBOD, Performance, or Protected?
My real question is: Is there any protection in Performance mode?

Caldigit needs a forum here!

Great product, I'm running two of them now. Any thoughts or plans to review the FirewireVR? Recently moved to P2 and I'm looking for archive solutions.

Thanks
Ron

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 18, 2007 at 12:32:15 am

[ronnyron] "Just curious...not to start a new thread, but, Walter, how are you running the Caldigit? JBOD, Performance, or Protected?
My real question is: Is there any protection in Performance mode?"

JBOD with a 2TB Lacie Biggest Disk as a backup device.

[ronnyron] "Any thoughts or plans to review the FirewireVR?"

Not yet, but I did review the S2VR Duo which should be up shortly.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 18, 2007 at 10:05:51 am

[ronnyron] "Any thoughts or plans to review the FirewireVR? Recently moved to P2 and I'm looking for archive solutions."

This unit is PERFECT for P2 archiving. The drive modules are removable so all you need is this one chassis. And when you order new modules from CalDigit they send you an archive box that both drives fit into, there are spaces on the box that you can write and note the contents, and the box fits on a VHS shelf. A very elegant solution to the way that I archived P2, which was to use an external firewire case, order bare drives and swap them out. This is the same solution, but more elegant and organized. I like it.

And like Walter and Bob, I too am a CalDigit convert, and am testing two of their S2VR Duo units for review. Since Walter and Bob are doing it for the cow, I am doing it for my blog...and word of mouth. I will be editing DVCPRO HD footage on a feature length documentary for the History Channel.

So far, I love the drives and cannot wait to buy the D2VR HD unit.

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

ronnyron
on Jan 18, 2007 at 5:48:33 pm

Thanks for the info Shane. I thought I would have to buy a ton of LaCie D2's....but its good to hear this works.
(Sorry to change the subject on this thread...again, its time for a CalDigit forum!-- great product)

Ron

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jan 18, 2007 at 6:00:45 pm

[Shane Ross] "This unit is PERFECT for P2 archiving. The drive modules are removable so all you need is this one chassis. And when you order new modules from CalDigit they send you an archive box that both drives fit into, there are spaces on the box that you can write and note the contents, and the box fits on a VHS shelf. A very elegant solution to the way that I archived P2, which was to use an external firewire case, order bare drives and swap them out. This is the same solution, but more elegant and organized. I like it."

This is a really really cool solution BUT let me give you one word of warning. Any hard drive that sits on a shelf for any extended period of time WILL die. Hard drives have to be run every once in a while in order for them to survive. This is the reason we hear that firewire drives die all of the time. People use them as backup devices and plug them back into their systems a year from now, and the drive will no mount and/or sometime won't spin up.

I still believe that Blu-Ray is the perfect solution to this issue of backing up media. But alas... Blu-Ray technology is still a little bit behind. Dual layer Blu-Ray doesn't exist on the market just yet, but I'm sure it will make its debut at NAB this year. A 50 gig laser disc is much more reliable for backup than any hard drive on the market.

Don't get me wrong... I use firewire drives everyday, but only as a temporary form of storage. As for P2, dual layer DVDs can hold up to 8 gig of media, which is about one 8 gig P2 card or two 4 gig P2 cards.

Just a little something to keep in mind....

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 18, 2007 at 3:19:58 am

All drive performance decreases as they get full. The Seagate 7200.10 drives work just fine.
If you want to insure that you don't get stuck with the -308 suffix Seagate drives, that have SSC (and dont' work), buy from Ron at Maxx Digital (714) 374 4944, who only sells the -305 suffix drives (with SSC
disabled). You can monitor your drive performance on a regular basis with AJA Kona System Test.

And to answer your question - YES, the 750 Gig drives work just fine and dandy in this exact application.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Jan 18, 2007 at 4:42:33 pm

Thanks, Bob. Do you mind elaborating on the difference between -308 suffix and non? I have 2 Sonnet setups with 5-500Gig Seagates in them. We had one go down once, but besides that they work great (editing SD uncompressed and DVCProHD). I did a search and didn't find anything on this -308 thing.

Thanks.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Jeremy Newmark
on Jan 18, 2007 at 11:36:00 pm

Wayne makes a very important point about archiving with hard drives. They will die and are not built to sit on a shelf. Shelved drives are not a good solution for archiving. You may want to look into LTO tape or SDLT tape, which have a shelf life of 30 years. Especially if you are talking about long term archiving of P2 media specifically, Quantum is doing some very cool things with SDLT at the moment. They have built in a file system and made it MXF aware, which means that you can access the meta data on the MXF files. You can even access clips and only pull sub-clips by timecode from these tapes. SDLT tapes currently have a capacity of 300GB, but will have 800GB tapes by NAB. No I do not work for or represent Quantum, SDLT or LTO technologies, I've just been looking into various viable archiving solutions for video.

best regards,

jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]