FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Kona LHe card

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Davison
New Kona LHe card
on Jan 12, 2007 at 7:18:08 pm

Just got new intel quad core and put Kona LHe in it - All working - ish l(Im coming over from Blackmagic) The HDSDI out put is very sluggish and stuttery. Ive tried referencing my BB generator(analogure) my HDCam Deck (1080i) and freerun and Ive had a good play with the control panel but I cant get a decent playback - Im sure its something simple thats been discussed here before but Im not sure how to describe the problem so searching is difficult.

It plays Fine on the FCP monitor - just the SDI output!

Return to posts index

christopherk
Re: New Kona LHe card
on Jan 12, 2007 at 7:54:59 pm

I'm assuming this is a MacPro? Did you run the Expansion Slot Utility?
The Configuration Expansion Slot Utility is located on your Mac Pro at: /System/Library/CoreServices/

Run that and use the 2nd option on the list.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 13, 2007 at 12:06:58 am

Hi Sean -
you said that you get "good play with the control panel", but are getting stuttering playback from the SDI output. PLEASE tell me EXACTLY what drive storage array you are using to record this HD signal, and what resolution you are working at. Becuase if you are recording a HD-SDI 1080i uncompressed signal, and have
a Firewire drive - it aint' gonna work, buddy. If you go to your Kona Utilities folder, and select the AJA Kona System Test, you can determine the speed of your drives, and report back this info, and I will tell you what you can and cannot do with your system.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

chrispy
on Jan 13, 2007 at 2:55:25 am

Check the Expansion Slot Utility which is in the Systems/CoreServices folder. Make sure the slot where you have installed the Kona LHe card is not set to x1. It must be set to x4 minimum.

I recently had an issue as well and it turned out that the slot was set to x1 and it could not play out a HD-SDI signal properly even though it was DVCProHD. It was ok to play out SD but there weren't enough juice at x1 to play out HD.

-chrispy

Return to posts index

Sean Davison
on Jan 13, 2007 at 1:10:06 pm

Thanks guys - Bob - its a Huge raid with atto celerity (latest drivers) Im getting speeds of 148 read but the Timeline is DVCproHD so no bandwidth issues here. I didnt know about the PCI utility I'll tcheck it out on Monday.

When it works I look forward to trying to get Final Touch to run on it!!!!!! :-)
(that should keep me busy!)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 13, 2007 at 4:33:16 pm

If you are getting 148mb/sec (that's slow for a HUGE array !) - it's just fine for DVCProHD. The other guys are probably right. Open the Expansion Slot Utility, and make sure that you are not in a x1 slot. Slot 3 is very safe for the Kona LHe card.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Sean Davison
on Jan 14, 2007 at 4:33:09 pm

THANKS GUYS - YOU WERE ALL RIGHT AS ALWAYS!!

Rocking speeds - the Kona seems much more of a pro card than mu other 2 BM's? Talks TV language!
Even Final Touch seems to be behaving itself!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]