FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona TV - Varicam Quicktime to HDCam Tape

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lars Bunch
Kona TV - Varicam Quicktime to HDCam Tape
on Jan 11, 2007 at 11:13:37 pm

Hi,

I have a lot of material that was shot on Varicam and I need to get it onto HDCam tape. My work flow for the moment is to upres it in FCP in an 1080 timeline which takes hours and hours of rendering.

But it looks like I could use Kona TV program to take in a Varicam shot and use the Kona 2 card to upres it on the fly, outputting directly to the HDCam deck. (I can't test this theory right now because we're too cheap to have an HDCam deck or even monitor in house) When I rent the deck, I want to make the most use of the time I have it so I'd like any suggestions anyone feels inclined to provide.

Is this possible or will the upres quality suffer? Will the program actually output a 1080p HD-SDI signal to the Kona's outputs from a 720p Varicam Quicktime file upresing it in the hardware? (The frame rate will stay the same)

I can render the upres over the weekend and have it ready to go for output, but I'd prefer a more elegant (and faster) solution.

Dual 2Gig G5 w/ 3Gig Ram
Mac 10.4.8
FCP 5.0.2 (I think)
Kona 2 (most recent software)

Any help would be... well... most helpful...

Thanks,

Lars

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Kona TV - Varicam Quicktime to HDCam Tape
on Jan 12, 2007 at 2:37:15 am

720p to 1080i Cross-Convert is only performed by the Kona 3 and it works brilliantly. We just converted almost 20 hours of 720p/30 material to 1080i/60 for a documentary episode. It looks flat out amazing.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]