FORUMS: list search recent posts

yet another storage question...Bob Z?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Murray
yet another storage question...Bob Z?
on Jan 11, 2007 at 2:38:30 am

Been reading up on storage and need to upgrade to something with more than the 2TB I have now.

Are you still primarily using the Sonnet 500P enclosures for your installs? If so, do you have a favorite hard drive, either 500 or 750 Gigabytes? I'm still also considering the Caldigit products but the Sonnet seems to have a pretty big price advantage, especially since I plan to go with 2 enclosures and 10 drives.

Thanks in advance for any tips, from Bob or anyone else who cares to weigh in.

Joe Murray

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: yet another storage question...Bob Z?
on Jan 11, 2007 at 3:09:50 am

CalDigit works and it works extremely well here. We're now running the S2VR HD and looking forward to some new products coming from them soon. I would never build my own array when there are people building rock solid units with good support behind them.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Jan 11, 2007 at 2:56:36 pm

I agree with you when it comes to protected RAID storage, but with RAID 0 I figure I'm relying on the reliability of the drives I buy anyway since one failure means a total loss of data. Also I've built several RAIDs myself over the years, including SCSI RAIDs and they've been reliable. SATA makes the job even easier.

Joe

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 11, 2007 at 3:44:21 am

Give Maxx Digital a call at (714) 374 4944, and ask Ron for their aggressive pricing on both products. You will be surprised at the pricing compared to most mail order places. Both are excellent. I am not sure of what your application is. If you want do do standard def or DVCProHD, both will work. If you want to buy 10 drives, both will work. If you want to only buy 5 drives, and do uncompressed HD - there is only one choice - the CalDigit.

I don't want to go into any stories here, but depending on what month this is, and what revision is released, Hitachi, Seagate and Western Digital (the 3 manufacurers of SATA II drives) all have their own horror stories - or success stories. And just to add to your confusion, Hitachi promises to release the 1TB drives this month - that means 5 Terabytes in a single 5 drive chassis !!!!!!!! Will this cause problems ? Who the hell knows (I hate new stuff, there are always issues). The point is - the world is changing VERY FAST. One thing for sure - I would never buy SCSI drives ever again.

Also remember, these products are RAID 0 or RAID 1 - NOT RAID 3 or RAID 5. Highpoint and ATTO offer SAS/SATA RAID 5 cards, but these products currently do not support the amazing port multipler chassis (like the Cal Digit and Sonnet), and the reliability of SATA has been pretty incredible so far.

Let us know what you decide.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: yet another storage question...Bob Z? (ATTO)
on Jan 11, 2007 at 3:52:58 am

I am copying this right off of the Cow press releases today. This is on the new ATTO SAS card - it is a piss poor confusing press release, on their amazing new storage host card, that controls EIGHT SATA II drives, and offers RAID 5 protection. It's going to be a lot more than the Sonnet or Cal Digit by the time you get done, but it will give you an idea of how fast the storage world is moving, and what we can expect from everyone soon (meaning true RAID protection, like in the "older" SCSI arrays).

bob Zelin

With the introduction of the ExpressSAS product line, ATTO becomes the first manufacturer to deliver the affordable performance of Serial Attached SCSI RAID technology to the Macintosh platform. Designed to take full advantage of the high-speed PCI Express I/O architecture of Apple

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Jan 11, 2007 at 2:54:41 pm

Thanks for the information Bob. I think I'm going to have to go with 10 drives and possibly the Caldigit rack product. The 1 Tb drives sound cool but I try to stay with stuff that's been on the market at least 6 months so will stay with 500s or 750s. I may try to move to RAID 3 or 5 when we go to shared storage next year but for now I have a workflow that protects my project files pretty well, and only media that can be recaptured or rerendered is stored on the RAID 0.

So...I can understand the difficulty of picking one drive out of all the options out there, but if you were building a Sonnet 500P RAID today, what would you buy? Or do you just throw suction darts at the list on the newegg website and then hit the buy button? ;-)

Joe

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 11, 2007 at 11:21:51 pm

Joe -
I usually stick with Seagate or Hitachi - they work just fine.

Just remember this - there are guys out there still using AVID Meridian systems, and Media 100 systems, and still making money. With that said, no matter what you choose, it will be outdated by the end of this year - so just jump in - it's not as expensive as it used to be.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Jan 11, 2007 at 11:31:22 pm

I ordered the Caldigit S2VR 3.75 TB unit from Ron today. Thanks for the introduction to MaxxDigital and Ron. I may still build a Sonnet RAID 1 setup for protected project backup space but right now I just need more space and I need to plug it in and turn it on and start working. Sounds like the Caldigit is the ticket.

Joe

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 12, 2007 at 1:52:35 am

Cal Digit, and Maxx Digital have one thing in commone with AJA - SUPPORT, SUPPORT and SUPPORT. They all understand what so many companies don't understand - we are in busines, and we need to KEEP WORKING when things break.

I am sure that you will be very happy - and if your not - write back RIGHT HERE.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

ronnyron
on Jan 11, 2007 at 4:26:30 am

Get a CalDigit! I just added another unit to replace a Huge and 2 Medeas.
If you go to their website, they now have a rackmount unit -- HD444. I believe it replaced their Pro unit.

So far so good. Looking forward to the FirewireVR units. The hot-swap hard drives would be a nice addition for both editing and archiving...especially since moving to P2 technology. The fact that I can store hard drives on a shelf, and mount them when needed, is intriguing. CalDigit is definitely making moves.

Ron

Return to posts index

Hector
on Jan 11, 2007 at 5:41:46 am

I was brave (or silly) enough to build my own raid... and so far so good :)

Picked up the Sonnet Tempo X4P card at Amazon $287.38, the Fusion 500p at thenerds.net $424.82, and 5 x MXT 7H500F0 500GB SATA Maxtor drives $129 each (xmas special). So all in total about
$1400 smackeroos for 2.5 terabytes.

Have a few projects in the can with this config, and all is well so far. However, I do have a raid question.... what should my block size setting be at for this raid (using mac os x raid)? I am currently at 256k, it runs good but I have read online that some folks are at 128......is there any difference ?

Best of luck

Hector
Power Mac G5
dual 2.5 GHz, 8 GB ram
osX 10.4.8, FCP 5.1.2
Kona 2
Sonnet Tempo SATA X4P
Fusion 500p
5 x MXT 7H500F0 500GB SATA II

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved