FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bob Zelin - more patch panels...

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chemix
Bob Zelin - more patch panels...
on Jan 8, 2007 at 1:59:32 pm

After reading the great info on an earlier thread regarding an easy and affordable RS-422 patch panel, I was wondering if you could come up with a similar explanation for a audio-video patch panel based on something like the MILESTEK 50-26019 connector panel, routing SD & HD component video+audio to and from: two decks (UVW 1800P & DSR 45P), a KONA2 card, a BMD Decklink SP card and a SONY Z1 camera (used as a "third deck" until the release of the HVR 1500...)

Is that at all possible?
It would great to be able to build my own video patch, along with the RS-422 you already explained.

Thanks a lot in advance

BUNKER studio
"edit in paradise"

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Bob Zelin - more patch panels...
on Jan 8, 2007 at 11:32:13 pm

this is beyond the scope of the AJA Kona forum, but I will give you a quick overview. You can't build a "cheapo" audio and video HD patching system. Milestek (a great company) sells AVP Video patch bays, which are about $630 each. You will realize that when you start adding all the analog composite, component, SDI and HD-SDI stuff from all of your VTR's, AJA products, etc., you will start eating up an entire patch bay of video jacks. There is no way around this. I personally only use Canare 242U-DVJAW
video patch bays, which you can get a http://www.markertek.com for $499 each. You will need about 6 Video patch cords for this patch bay (about $15.25 each). Model CC-1074N. For audio bays, the CHEAPEST thing on the market, which works quite well is the very inexpensive Berhinger PX-3000 audio patch bay. I get these from B+H Photo, or http://www.americanmusical.com. Plenty of people sell these on the web. They are $49.95 each. It uses standard 1/4" stereo phone plugs, so you don't need to solder. The correct way to use any 1/4" patch panel that uses "plug in" cords is to use these in a rack or rack box, that has a lacing bar on it, so you can cable tie the 1/4" plugs to the lacing bar, so they don't get yanked out.

So, for $550, plus patch cords, and cables, you have yourself a little system. If you dont' put these items in a rack or rack box, you will have yourself one hell of a mess.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

chemix
on Jan 9, 2007 at 9:51:09 am

Thank you veeeeeeeeery much for your information and suggestions Mr. Zelin, I sure appreciate it.

I'm gonna research all those references and such, and will come up with a schematic drawing that I'd like for you to have a look at. Is there an email address I can post to you at?

BUNKER studio
"edit in paradise"

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 9, 2007 at 1:23:34 pm

maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

todd sali
on Jan 10, 2007 at 7:11:35 am

I'd love to see the schematic when you get it figured out, if you don't mind posting it or email it to me - thesandbox@comcast.net. I'd love to do something similar.

Cheers,
Todd

Todd Sali
TheSandbox

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]