FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects and Final Cut fight for control of video output

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jwedit
After Effects and Final Cut fight for control of video output
on Jan 7, 2007 at 6:04:24 pm

Hello all. Whenever I set my After Effects to use my Kona output for preview it seems to lock up both programs when i have final cut open as well. It seems that until I quit one of the programs they fight for control over the Kona 2. I am on OSX 10.30 and using a Kona 2 with the latest drivers. Any ideas, other than quitting or shutting off the output on After Effects.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: After Effects and Final Cut fight for control of video output
on Jan 7, 2007 at 6:15:15 pm

[jwedit] "Hello all. Whenever I set my After Effects to use my Kona output for preview it seems to lock up both programs when i have final cut open as well. It seems that until I quit one of the programs they fight for control over the Kona 2. I am on OSX 10.30 and using a Kona 2 with the latest drivers. Any ideas, other than quitting or shutting off the output on After Effects."

This is correct. You don't want both programs open and active at the same time because this can cause crashes. One thing that can work is to hide the program you're not using. When you're done with the program you're using, hide it, wait a few seconds, then bring forward the other app. Use this pattern and you can get both apps to work, you just need to give the Kona a few seconds to reset itself before you go to the other app.

If you simply have them both open at the same time and just switch back and forth, you're going to crash your system.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

jwedit
on Jan 7, 2007 at 6:32:44 pm

Walter, Thanks a lot. That should fix it. Just the answer I was looking for.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 7, 2007 at 6:39:49 pm

[jwedit] "Walter, Thanks a lot. That should fix it. Just the answer I was looking for."

Just be aware, that method is not foolproof. You still may crash even using the hide method.

The best way to work is still to quit one app, then launch the other.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jan 7, 2007 at 9:39:31 pm

While Walter's method works well, what I tend to do is tap the finder in between switching apps. The latest version of the Kona drivers seems to be even better when switching. I use the apple-tab method to switch apps. If I'm in FCP and need to switch to AE with both open, I apple-tab to the finder, then apple-tab to AE, then repeat the process again to go back to FCP (apple-tab to finder, then apple-tab to FCP). I have never (that I can remember) have had a crash from either AE or FCP using this method. And with the latest version of FCP, the Kona card seems to get way less confused than it used to. There are times when I will quit FCP and AE was the last app open and so AE is on as soon as I quit FCP. Lately, the Kona card is able to keep up just fine. I am on 10.4.8 operating system, not 10.3 (or 10.30 like you said). Perhaps there's a difference there.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Jan 8, 2007 at 12:56:58 pm

This is the exact method I do as well with equal results. Just a quick Command-Tab to Finder between apps really seems to bode well with the system. If I had to quit one app to work in the other, I'd be screwed!

Marco Solorio  |  OneRiver Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]