FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ref video gen

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Brooks
Ref video gen
on Jan 7, 2007 at 2:09:20 pm

Engineering opinion please: "A friend of mine" is using a portable Videotek color bar generator, running on its AC adaptor, as a ref video source for a FCP/Kona LHe system. Is this an adequate source of reference video? Would a Horita BG-50 offer any improvement to the operation of the system? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Ref video gen
on Jan 7, 2007 at 3:03:16 pm

Videotek (now owned by Harris Broadcast) makes fine products. A videotek sync generator is a more desirable product than the Horita BSG-50, however I am unfamiliar with this "portable" product. The point here is that you just can't hookup one output of the Videotek to the Kona, and you are done. You must have enough outputs to feed at least the Kona, AND the VTR REF VIDEO IN that you are using, so they are both locked to the same reference. If you have a Kona K, K3 or KL box, you can loop thru the Reference In to accomplish this, if you only have one output on your generator.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 7, 2007 at 3:47:43 pm

Tom -
NEVER use a Horita BG-50 - it's the BSG-50. The BG-50 is not a sync generator, and will generate nothing if you purchase this as a stand alone unit. It is designed to create 6 blacks from any composite input source - but unless you feed it something (like a camera output) it does NOTHING, so NEVER buy this product.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Jan 7, 2007 at 6:35:01 pm

Bob,
I mistakenly mentioned the BG-50 instead of the BGS-50--thanks for catching that important point. What we have right now is nothing more than a small, portable, Videotek color bar generator. It's usually used to set up monitors or for various testing in remote multicamera shoots. It's battery powered, but has a wall wart that I'm using to keep it powered continuously. I have pressed it into service as a ref video source for the FCP system. The video (color bars) goes from the gen to the Beta, looping to the Kona. The system seems to work, but I'm suspicious of the jury rig. Am I on thin ice with this thing? Thanks.
-Tom

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Jan 7, 2007 at 6:37:10 pm

Sorry, that post was supposed to say BSG-50.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 7, 2007 at 8:24:27 pm

Without looking at a scope, its impossible to tell what is going on with your Videotek. The Horita uses a "wall wart" as well. Videotek is an excellent manufacturer. If you are not having any "crackle" issues, and you are in REF IN (not free run), and you don't see any flashing BLUE stop lights on your Sony VTR, then you are probably ok.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Jan 14, 2007 at 4:39:59 pm

Just wanted that assurance for now. It does seem to work fine. I've posted about a mystery jitter we were having and this was one thing to check. The jitter (for lack of a better term--vertical jumping of the picture is what it looked like) was fixed when I upgraded to V3.3 on my Kona LHe drivers. So, all is well. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]