FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 audio popping

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Wilson
Kona 3 audio popping
on Jan 5, 2007 at 10:32:12 pm

I've been begrudgingly puting up with the Kona3 audio crud on playback but now that I'm screening for distributors and the like I want to throw the thing out the window. Anyone ever find a work-around for this?

Don Wilson
AmericanaMediaInc.com
MississippiSon.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Kona 3 audio popping
on Jan 5, 2007 at 11:28:33 pm

Hi Don -
I have become an expert at Kona 3 popping and crackling. It's really simple and really simple to create this problem (for those of you reading this with a Kona 3). Simply go into the Kona Control Panel, select the Control Tab, and change the reference from REF VIDEO to FREE RUN. Hear the popping noise ? If you are in Ref Video, yank out your black referenece. Either of these will cause the Kona 3 to start popping and crackling.

This is the bottom line. You must have an good quality black generator locking both your VTR and your Kona 3 Reference input. Both should be on Ref Video. If you are using a Horita BSG-50, you MUST have a 75 ohm BNC terminator on the Kona 3 reference input loop (or it will not work). If the crackling still persists, reboot your computer, and it should go away.

The Kona 3 is VERY sensitive to refernce video, and if it is unhappy, it will start to pop and crackle. I run into this issue ALL the time on different systems. This existed on the Kona 2 as well.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Don Wilson
on Jan 6, 2007 at 12:37:37 am

Bob,

You rock! Will change to ref in. Rudy advised to run on freerun. I have a multi-frame rate NTSC ref generator which works well for typical SD stuff. I don't have tri-level but since the Horita you mention isn't, I assume it will work for DVCProHD since the audio is simple 48k stuff. Let me know if any of this supposition is wrong.

Thanks for the input!

Don

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 6, 2007 at 1:26:26 am

Don -
please tell me the exact make and model # of the sync gen you have. You DO NOT need any special tri level sync gen for this application. Rudy has told you to go into free run to avoid any potential problems with bad cables, or a bad black gen. If you have a modern RS170A analog color black generator (not some old piece of junk), you should be able to GENLOCK your AJA Kona and VTR to the EXACT SAME BLACK SOURCE, and not get the crackle noise. I can assure you that even in a working system, properly wired, when you toggle between free run and Ref Video, and monitor the audio out of the Kona, you will hear the "snap crackle pop" - it happens in every system. Once the Kona locks, the pops go away.

Please let me know exactly what sync gen or black gen you have. (I am going out to dinner now, so I will respond later).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Don Wilson
on Jan 6, 2007 at 4:55:38 am

Hope dinner was good.....one of my favorite things!

Have a Sigma series 2000. Was stupid to say it did multi-frame rates. Meant to say it does 30fps and 29.97, was once used for a telecine bay long since pillaged. Seems to do the trick. Noticed it will start to crud up but corrects itself. Thanks B for the tip....just made too much sense.

All the best,

Don Wilson
AmericanaMediaInc.com
MississippiSon.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 6, 2007 at 6:27:25 pm

Hi Don -
I am guessing that you have a Sigma SS2100 chassis with a Sigma BSG-21
Color black generator. This product was a fixed frame rate (29.97) and never
was switchable from 29.97 to 30 fps. I do not recall Sigma EVER making a multi format sync gen - from the TSG470, to the old CSG-365 series.

Either way, the BSG-21 is a fine color black generator, and should lock up your AJA product and VTR just fine. Just always make sure to have BOTH the AJA and VTR locked to the SAME black reference, and you should be fine. Forget FREE RUN - go to REF VIDEO, and your crackle will be gone.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]