FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV Downconverion

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon D
HDV Downconverion
on Jan 3, 2007 at 5:50:21 pm

I am just about to on-line a music DVD mixing DigiBeta and HDV. The only thing I am not sure about is exactly how to downconvert the Pal HDV footage to 625i 25 10 bit using the Kona 3 Card. The maual is slightly confusing on this issue.

I obviously set the Primary Format to 1080i25, but what do I do then?

I assume I set the Capture preset to Kona 3: 625 25 10bit , which is what I want to downconvert to to match the Digi footage. I realise that I will need the AJA HD10AVA to convert the component signal to HDSDI for the Kona Card.

What do I do next? I do not have any decks to play with at the moment, so need a written description if that is possible?

I have the Digibeta Deck for only 2 Days, and I need to try and get things right pretty much straight away.

A brief workflow description would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Simon

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: HDV Downconverion
on Jan 3, 2007 at 6:43:29 pm

See this thread, but use the video formats that are applicable to your edit.

Jeremy

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=98&postid=8...

Return to posts index

Simon D
on Jan 3, 2007 at 9:16:46 pm

Jeremy

Thanks for that. I understand the process of feeding the signal to a Digi Deck, but initially I want to downconvert into FCP Capture, and not capture to Digibeta straight away.

How do I do that?

Thanks

Simon

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jan 3, 2007 at 9:43:04 pm

Got ya. Your assumptions are correct. Get yourself the AVA converter and use firewire for deck control. You will have to put the deck in dv mode in order for FCP to pick up TC (don't worry the analog component outputs will remain in HD). You should then choose an SD easy setup in FCP (sounds like you want to use Uncompressed 10 bit PAL) and the Kona card will 'automagically' down convert the material to SD. The only trick is that after you select the easy setup and open the log and capture window, you will have to manually change the device control from rs-422 to DV PAL in the device control pulldown menu. No big deal.

Sorry about the mix up on that earlier post.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Simon D
on Jan 3, 2007 at 11:23:47 pm

Jeremy

That is exactly what I needed to know. Genius!

Thank God this forum exists, and is visited by such Gurus as your goodself.

Many thanks

Simon

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Jan 4, 2007 at 12:13:57 am

Hi Simon,

In addition to Jeremy's comments, you will need to also set the KONA Control Panel to down-convert the incoming HD signal. Go to the "Format" tab, and on the given SDI input, set the Primary format as your destination SD format (such as 525i or 625i). The Secondary would be your native incoming HD format (1080i, etc.).

Of course, please contact us if you need additional information or assistance.

Thank you,

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Simon D
on Jan 4, 2007 at 12:00:31 pm

Thankyou for your support.

I have a quick question with regards to your reply.

I am indeed wanting to downconvert from 1080i to 625i and I now understand that changing the primary format to 625 will automatically downconvert; but why do I need to set the secondary format to my native 1080i?

Many thanks

Simon

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jan 4, 2007 at 5:59:42 pm

[Simon D] " but why do I need to set the secondary format to my native 1080i"

That's telling the Koan card what format the native material is in, setting the primary as SD is telling the Kona where the frame buffer needs to be. Sometimes I have to tell the Kona the secondary format, sometimes I don't.

Return to posts index

eric
Re: HDV Downconversion
by
on Jan 4, 2007 at 2:12:01 pm

I

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: HDV Downconversion
on Jan 4, 2007 at 6:02:03 pm

[eric] "But in this project I can only get a still frame from HDV-timelines when I

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]