FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LH and Pany plasma monitor settings???

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Roth Weiss
Kona LH and Pany plasma monitor settings???
on Dec 29, 2006 at 10:33:42 pm

I just installed a new Kona LH and a new 42" Pany TH-PH9UK plasma monitor, and I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment with cable routing and such, so, I could really use a little help from anyone who has configured a similar setup.

Specifically, can anyone share the proper settings on Pany plasmas, including color setup, screensaver, etc? And, without adjusting a thing from the default settings my Kona LH seems to be looking pretty darned good right out of the box, but, are there any adjustments I should be thinking about?

THNX,
DRW

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Kona LH and Pany plasma monitor settings???
on Dec 29, 2006 at 10:51:17 pm

don't touch it. Plug your analog Y Pb Pr out of your Kona LH into your
TH-PH9UK, and go to work. The factory defaults have been pretty good out of the box - this includes the BT-LH LCD series as well.

SEE - this ain't like the old tube CRT monitors, that required setup and calibration all the time.

This "what - no setup, it must suck" - is the same stupid mentality of the old video shader guys, that went nuts when white balance was invented. They cursed these cameras, no differently than linear editors cursed the AVID when it came out. Soon CRT's will be gone (JVC just announced this is the end of their CRT monitor as well) - so to the die-hard "I will die before I on line a job on a LCD or Plasma display" - I guess you'll be dead pretty soon.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 30, 2006 at 2:29:07 am

Yo Ho Bob,

Okay, the only things I changed were:

1) switched the monitor from Vivid to Normal
2) turned down the sharpness from +4 to 0

And, the fact is, thge Kona defaults are perfect and the monitor appears to more accurate (and certainly a heck of lot sharper - even for SD) than my Sony broadcast monitor in essentially every category. I had envisioned keeping the broadcast monitor as a reference, but now I'll probably sell the aging dinosaur. I never thought I'd be saying that, but...

I could still use some help setting up the screensaver to avoid burn-in, as Panasonic's manuals are quite cryptic for those of us speaking English. Do you know the settings for that???

THNX for your help,
DRW

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 30, 2006 at 2:50:42 am

I know that the Panny manuals are a pain in the ass, and cryptic. And no, I unfortunatly don't remember the screensaver menu settings.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

uncompressed
on Dec 30, 2006 at 11:07:10 am

to set up the screensaver, just hit the remote's "set up". really easy.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 30, 2006 at 8:08:18 pm

[uncompressed] "to set up the screensaver, just hit the remote's "set up". really easy."

No, its a bit more difficult than that. There are time settings, and other settings that are not adequately explained in the manual.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 30, 2006 at 1:43:30 pm

[Bob Zelin] "on't touch it. Plug your analog Y Pb Pr out of your Kona LH into your
TH-PH9UK, and go to work. The factory defaults have been pretty good out of the box - this includes the BT-LH LCD series as well. "

I disagree- the presets on my 42' Plasma and 32' LCD units both arrived in Dynamic Color mode - so it was constantly trying to "improve" my color and density settings on playback.

I always set my external displays to the STANDARD setting. then send it some color bars to adjust to.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 30, 2006 at 1:52:52 pm

[gary adcock] "[Bob Zelin] "on't touch it. Plug your analog Y Pb Pr out of your Kona LH into your
TH-PH9UK, and go to work. The factory defaults have been pretty good out of the box - this includes the BT-LH LCD series as well. "

I disagree- the presets on my 42' Plasma and 32' LCD units both arrived in Dynamic Color mode - so it was constantly trying to "improve" my color and density settings on playback."

I have to agree with Gary on this one. At least with my 8 series plasma, I found it too red and had to make adjustments to better match the Sony PVM. We have not hung the 42" 9 series plasma that we just got so we'll see if it's different.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 30, 2006 at 8:06:07 pm

[walter biscardi] "I found it too red and had to make adjustments to better match the Sony PVM."

Walter,

My new monitor appears to have perfect flesh tones right out of the box, and the whites and blacks are as good as anything I've seen. Let me know what you think when you're got yours up and running.

Meanwhile, I'm having a hard time trying to understand the Panasonic paradyme for its screensaver. There are two entries for setting screensaver time parameters, but they are not intuitive at all, and so the function seems to have a mind of its own. The manual offers no real insight either. Do you know how to set it properly?

THNX,
DRW

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Jan 4, 2007 at 2:18:10 pm

Hi Walter,

how far away from your suite is the plasma? Isn

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 4, 2007 at 2:32:06 pm

[eric] "
Hi Walter,

how far away from your suite is the plasma? Isn

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 30, 2006 at 8:20:53 pm

[gary adcock] "I always set my external displays to the STANDARD setting. "

Absolutely!!! Plus, the life of the display will be greatly extended. Even though the lifetime of a modern plasma monitor is quite long, like any phosphor-based display, the phosphors do diminish in brightness over the life of the display. Simply turning to STANDARD helps to maximize the length of a monitor's optimal performance window.

DRW

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Dec 30, 2006 at 9:50:50 pm

A little OT, but I have to say that sometimes I prefer to watch the Panny plasma and sometimes I prefer to watch the Sony 20L5 CRT. I have to say though, when it comes to making a color decision, I still refer to the Sony. In any case, it's nice to have both mirrored right there in front of us. The clients especially like it too. It's also nice to have a native 16x9 reference and a native 4x3 reference even though both can switch to the other.

Marco Solorio  |  OneRiver Media

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Dec 31, 2006 at 6:54:54 am

sorry to hi jack this post but, I was looking online at this model and noticed it's resolution is 1024 x 768. Does this matter? Would it be better to have a monitor that is 1920 x 1080? Sorry for the hi jack.

Thanks, Dave

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 31, 2006 at 6:04:21 pm

sorry to hi jack this post but, I was looking online at this model and noticed it's resolution is 1024 x 768. Does this matter? Would it be better to have a monitor that is 1920 x 1080? Sorry for the hi jack.

Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave -
only the 42" is 1024x768. The 50" and the 65" is 1366x768, and the
BT-LH2600W is 1366x768 as well. The 1024x768 will "scale" the image for you to HD. The only monitors that are doing 1920x1080 (actually 1920x1200) are the Apple Cinema, Dell 2405, 2407, HP 2335 and 2445, and the Sony SDM-P234b (and eCinema and Teranex Clearview). There ain't no 42" 1900x1200 monitor on the market yet - nor is there one for 50" or 65". But don't worry - just wait until April , I am sure we will see LG and Samsung release them by NAB2007.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

zolotroph
on Jan 1, 2007 at 11:18:33 pm

[Bob Zelin] "There ain't no 42" 1900x1200 monitor on the market yet - nor is there one for 50" or 65". But don't worry - just wait until April , I am sure we will see LG and Samsung release them by NAB2007. "

Bob,

FYI- Panasonic and Pioneer are both now selling true 1080p plasma displays (1920x1080), starting at 50".

Panasonic Professional 1080p plasmas:

http://tinyurl.com/y4ed6e

Pioneer 1080p plasma:

http://tinyurl.com/l7jqg

Happy New Year!

Return to posts index

richard
on Jan 2, 2007 at 8:53:13 pm

"There ain't no 42" 1900x1200 monitor on the market yet"

Hi Bob,

Take a look at the LVM-47w1 monitor from Westinghouse. An unlikely brand but they claim the following:

"The Westinghouse LVM-37w3 1080p monitor is a true 1080p monitor. It can accept, process and output any 1080p source input, as opposed to merely creating a 1080p output by upscaling a 720p source.
The Westinghouse LVM-37w3 features a 1920 x 1080 resolution display with more than 2 million pixels. Pictures are sharp, text is crisp."

It has no receiver or tuner built in and seems to be a dedicated monitor.

Any Thoughts ??

Richard

Return to posts index

richard
on Jan 2, 2007 at 8:58:13 pm

p.s. and the price isn't bad either, its listed at and around $1300.00 for the 37"

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 2, 2007 at 9:08:05 pm

Its available for just $1225.00 at visualapex.com, where many Cow users on the FCP Forum have happily purchased. If you had purchased just last week that would have been just $1015.00 for the 37" or $1025 for the 42", with a free 5-year extended warranty. Now the prices are higher and Pany has ended its free extended warranty, but they are still excellent deals on great monitors.

DRW

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 31, 2006 at 6:57:25 pm

Dave,

As you probably already know, in this business you can throw any conceivable amount of money at any solution to any problem. However, you don't always need to use your money if you use your brains, or in this case your eyeballs.

In the last year or two Panasonic and other manufacturers have made siginificant strides forward in their HD displays and the chips inside that do the stretching/downconverting. While having a 1 to 1 correlation between the source pixel count and display pixel count is certainly an ideal to strive for, its presently quite expensive and its not really a necessity by any "stretch: of the imagination (no pun intended). One needn't spend that kind of money to have confidence in what you're delivering for most broadcast television, so long as you are meticulous in your engineering. A monitor need only provide a reasonably accurate "reference" that represents the video signal at least well enough to provide the proper visual cues to an editor/engineer necessary to make critical adjustments verified by a waveform/vectorscope.

I bought my 42" Panasonic monitor only after thorough research and very close evaluation. Ultimately, I felt I could confidently rely on the image displayed without any workarounds or surprises. After setting it up here in my edit bay and comparing it to my SD broadcast monitor, I'm shocked by its accuracy. I have all the confidence in the world that I can engineer and deliver high quality broadcast HD video from my facility using this monitor as reference. That's good enough for me for now...

DRW

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Jan 3, 2007 at 6:40:37 pm

Hey David,

I just purchased the 50" 9UK from visual apex last week.

In my research/prep work in anticipation of its delivery last week, I documented some things (screensaver info too)

"Go to screen saver menu, turn on wobbling in screen saver menu, number 2 setting. (this is a pixel shift)"

Are you doing the 100 hour burnin with the burnin dvd image from avs?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jan 3, 2007 at 6:49:28 pm

That's exactly what I did with the wobbling, and I also turned the bars to grey and bright (this makes for a not so pretty standard 4:3 image but will save the screen in it's infancy). There's not that much standard 4:3 material that gets shown on it, but every once in a while so I'm not too worried.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jan 3, 2007 at 6:50:53 pm

[Borjis] "Are you doing the 100 hour burnin with the burnin dvd image from avs?"

What is this? Forgot to ask in my last post.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 3, 2007 at 7:07:51 pm

[Borjis] "Are you doing the 100 hour burnin with the burnin dvd image from avs?"

Yo ho Mr. Borjis,

Thanks for your response. BTW, The 50" will absolutely blow you away. Even the lowly 42" seems monstrous.

Please do tell us what the "burnin dvd image from avs" thing is all about.

And, I guess as luck would have it, I somehow managned to stumble on the proper screensaver setting for the "wobble" thing, but I'm still confused about the time settings though. I have yet to figure out what they really do. Where did you get your info, I'd like to read-up wherever possible?

THNX,
DRW

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Jan 4, 2007 at 12:43:06 am

lets see if the cow will let me post this url:

This is the official 9UK thread at the avs forums:

avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=706697

and here is a link to the dvd image you can burn that runs
for 16 hours straight and is ideal for the first 100 hours
of plasma phosphor "wear-in"

eaprogramming.com
(in the downloads section

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved