FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bob Zelin - RS422 Patch Panel?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
walter biscardi
Bob Zelin - RS422 Patch Panel?
on Dec 28, 2006 at 12:37:24 pm

Bob, a few months ago you posted a link to a cheap RS-422 patch panel I think at Markertek but now I can't find it.

I have three RS-422 devices that I would like to control from two Kona 3 systems. What patch panel / router would you suggest?

Thanks!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Bob Zelin - RS422 Patch Panel?
on Dec 28, 2006 at 3:07:56 pm

This is a long post, as it requires some explanation, and effort, but it is worth it.

You will need the following -
CAT 5 coupler patch panel
RJ45-9 pin male adaptors
CAT 5e cables - 5 long ones to your VTR's and AJA boxes
CAT 5e cables - 2 short ones, to be used as patch cords.

This is the most efficient and inexpensive way of patching RS422 signals around. Although companies like ADC, Bittree and Audio Accessories make expensive "professional" RS422 patch panels, even ADC is now making CAT 5 coupler patch bays, for the increased demand of CAT 5 patching.

You can purchase a CAT 5 coupler patch panel from
http://www.markertek.com
If you look at Page 34 of their new pink catalog, these items are on page 34
on the bottom. It is called the TecNec RJ45 Feed Through Bays.
The part # for an 8 port bay is PB8-R4R4. This is $119. You can get larger
panels like the 16X45 for $169, which has 16 ports on it.

The CAT 5e cables (or CAT 5) can be purchased from any mail order computer company, or office store. They are generic ethernet cables - possibly the most commonly used cable today (except for RCA plugs for stereo systems). The short "patch cord" cables will probably have to come from a mail order company, like CDW, or Tiger Direct (2' patch cords work great).

Now for the "hard" part. You need to make up RJ45-9 pin adaptors. You can order these from http://www.milestek.com. Milestek also sells CAT 5 coupler patch panels as well.
http://www.milestek.com/search.asp?ltype=2&search=1&skw=RJ45%2FDB9
The male part # is 10-01042 - this is the RJ45-9 pin male adaptor

This is the link to the milestek site for both the RJ45-9 pin male, and RJ45-9 pin female adaptors. These adaptors simply screw into your VTR Remote ports, or AJA RS422 ports. You then run your CAT 5 lines to your patch bay, and patch away.

The RJ45-9 pin adaptors come UNWIRED - you must wire them yourself - which is simply pushing in the pins into the holes.

This is the color code that I use for this (but you can use any color code you like, since RS422 is pin for pin - as long as you keep the colors the same on both ends, any code will work) -
this is what I use -
Pin 1 - RED
Pin 2 - ORANGE
Pin 3 - BLACK
Pin 4 - GREEN
Pin 5 - empty (no wire)
Pin 6 - BROWN
PIN 7 - BLUE
PIN 8 - YELLOW
PIN 9 - WHITE

These adaptors cost $2.65 each. There is no soldering involved, and no special tools required - you push these pins (with the wires already attached to them) right into the 9 pin adaptor, and then the adaptor snaps into the plastic shell (I use a small screwdriver to push in the 9 pin into the plastic).

Unlike RS422 cables, which are difficult to purchase, and difficult to test, RJ45 cables are readily available, very inexpensive, and if you choose to test them (in case things aren't working), there are countless CAT 5 ethernet cable testers on the market, sold by many companies.

Hope this helps.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Dec 28, 2006 at 8:05:52 pm

We built one of these RJ45 patch panels using the TrendNET TC-P16C6, available on newegg for $33.95. Works very well for very little money.

Joe Murray

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Bob Zelin - RS422 Patch Panel? - error
on Dec 29, 2006 at 12:44:13 am

I believe that Joe has posted incorrect information. The TrendNet TC-P16C6 is not a RJ45 coupler patch panel. This is a standard CAT 6 PUNCH BLOCK panel that uses 110 style punch down connections. This means that you simply just don't buy the panel, and pop in the premade cables. You take a bare end ethernet cable, and punch down the wires onto the back of the 110 punchblock on the back of the TrendNet.

Walter wants a simple solution, and the panels I have listed are RJ45 COUPLER panels, which means that you simply take the RJ45 plug and pop it into the back of the panel - the jack has RJ45 connections on both the front and back of the connector.

Of course, if Walter wants to buy a Harris or Paladin 110 punch tool, and develop the skill of punching down ethernet cables, then he can get the TrendNet panel.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
Re: Bob Zelin - RS422 Patch Panel? - error
on Dec 29, 2006 at 1:24:55 am

Well yes, that's correct. We do own a punchdown tool and that's how we did it. Bob's solution is simpler, no doubt. It took our engineer about an hour to wire the panel for three rooms and four decks.

Joe Murray

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Dec 29, 2006 at 1:26:52 am

And actually, Walter's post specifically asked for cheap, not simple, which is why I mentioned the TrendNet.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 29, 2006 at 11:24:57 am

Appreciate the very informative post Bob! We'll take a look at this and let you know how it goes.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 29, 2006 at 11:33:06 am

[Bob Zelin] "This is the color code that I use for this (but you can use any color code you like, since RS422 is pin for pin - as long as you keep the colors the same on both ends, any code will work) -"

Question here, you say I need to keep everything pin for pin, but in this case, I'm only putting the RS-422 connection on one end of each of the 5 cables for the VTRs/Konas, right? the other end will be left as Cat-5 to connect to the panel. So I should just be able to follow your color code and be good to go? thanks!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Dec 29, 2006 at 11:59:33 am

As long as you keep the color code the same on each RS-422 connection, the ethernet cables will keep everything pin to pin through the rest of the connections. That's how it works for us. Bob, let us know if I'm oversimplifying here.

Joe

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 29, 2006 at 12:05:29 pm

[Joe Murray] "As long as you keep the color code the same on each RS-422 connection, the ethernet cables will keep everything pin to pin through the rest of the connections. That's how it works for us. Bob, let us know if I'm oversimplifying here."

Thanks Joe!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 29, 2006 at 2:08:32 pm

Question here, you say I need to keep everything pin for pin, but in this case, I'm only putting the RS-422 connection on one end of each of the 5 cables for the VTRs/Konas, right? the other end will be left as Cat-5 to connect to the panel. So I should just be able to follow your color code and be good to go? thanks!

YES - you are putting RJ45-9 pin adaptors on your VTR Remote ports and on your AJA products. One end of the cable will snap into the CAT 5 panel, the other end of the cable will snap into the CAT 5 end of the RJ45 - 9 pin adaptor. It can be intimidating when you get the RJ45-9 pin adaptors, it comes with the wires dangling out of the plastic shell, and you have to put these wires into the 9 pin connector - they just push in. All you have to do is make sure that every connector is made THE SAME WAY - the same color code. And if for whatever reason, you need to get both male and female adaptors, make sure that the females are made opposite the males - rather than explaining what I mean, put the male and female together (if you even need any females)- and match up the color codes before the connector gets shoved into the shell - you will see the colors line up.

The only reason you would need a female adaptor is if you are using the Kona cable, and not the K2 or K3 box. The cable has a male 9 pin end, and you need to mate that to a female connector. The VTR's and AJA boxes all have
9 pin females on them - so you only need to purchase the RJ45-9 pin male connectors.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 29, 2006 at 12:04:38 pm

One last question I think, we currently have a 75' RS-422 cable run from our 2nd suite to the equipment rack. I'm assuming I can simply use a female Cat-5 adapter on that cable to the patch panel instead of running a new Cat-5 cable all the way back to the edit suite?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 29, 2006 at 2:11:05 pm

One last question I think, we currently have a 75' RS-422 cable run from our 2nd suite to the equipment rack. I'm assuming I can simply use a female Cat-5 adapter on that cable to the patch panel instead of running a new Cat-5 cable all the way back to the edit suite?

YES, you can use a RJ45-9 pin female adaptor, but you may find that it cost so little money to purchase a new LONG CAT 5 cable, that you may just want to replace your 9 pin with a CAT 5 cable, and not have any adaptors in the middle. CAT 5 cables are cheap !

bob zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 29, 2006 at 2:25:47 pm

[Bob Zelin] "YES, you can use a RJ45-9 pin female adaptor, but you may find that it cost so little money to purchase a new LONG CAT 5 cable, that you may just want to replace your 9 pin with a CAT 5 cable, and not have any adaptors in the middle. CAT 5 cables are cheap !"

Thanks Bob for this answer and the other above. Really appreciate it.

I decided to go with the female adapter because of the ceiling panels we'll have to drop to get a new Cat-5 cable run. The 75' RS-422 cable is already there, it's been working for a year so it will be MUCH easier to just put a female connector on the end of that.

FYI, Great tip on Milestek. I placed the order for overnight delivery tomorrow so we can finish up the shop this weekend. One of the cables I ordered in black which they don't have in stock. Intead of sitting on the order until they are back in stock, they just called me and we switched to a differed color. GREAT customer service and I can finish this weekend.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

R.Howard
on Dec 29, 2006 at 4:39:40 pm

Walter,

This is how we have our entire facility wired. Inexpensive and easy to expand. So as you grow......you get it.

We went the nerdy punch down route, we already owned the tools :)

Cheers,
Ramona

Ramona Howard
SpectSoft, LLC
593 Hi-Tech Parkway Suite B
Oakdale, CA 95361
Phone: 209.847.7812 extension 104
Fax: 209.847.7859
http://www.spectsoft.com

RaveHD - Changing the way you think about HD

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Bob Zelin - RS422 Patch Panel? THANKS BOB!
on Dec 31, 2006 at 1:57:19 am

Just got done wiring up the panel and it was a piece of cake thanks to your directions. Got both edit suites and the Io LA all connected to our three decks. It all works perfectly and I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner!

Ok, I got one last question. Did I see you post somewhere on here (again I can't find it now) an RS-422 converter for Firewire devices? In my case the Sony M15U HDV deck.

One more time. THANKS for that easy to follow guide on the patch panel!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 31, 2006 at 2:48:43 am

Walter - you are going to have to ask Mike at Convergent Design about this. I am anxiously awaiting to get back a WORKING version of the amazing
HD-Connect-MI, which allegedly will give full RS422 control of the HVRM25U
and HVRM15U. Will it actually work - don't ask me !!!!! But I sure hope so.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 31, 2006 at 3:00:51 am

[Bob Zelin] "Walter - you are going to have to ask Mike at Convergent Design about this. I am anxiously awaiting to get back a WORKING version of the amazing
HD-Connect-MI, which allegedly will give full RS422 control of the HVRM25U
and HVRM15U. Will it actually work - don't ask me !!!!! But I sure hope so."

Thanks Bob. I'll just wait until you get yours back and determine that it actually works. Thanks again for all your help! Happy New Year!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Hector
on Dec 31, 2006 at 6:15:13 am

Just as an option.

http://www.monoprice.com

has very inexpensive supplies for all your cable/patch needs.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 31, 2006 at 4:23:36 pm

holy crap - these are good prices ! And I thought that I knew the cheapest places to get stuff. I just added this to my favorites list.

Thanks -
bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 31, 2006 at 4:35:02 pm

[Hector] "Just as an option.

http://www.monoprice.com

has very inexpensive supplies for all your cable/patch needs."

You know I forgot about them. I got 25' DVI cables for ridiculously cheap when I moved our computer out of the edit suite and forgot to look up the cables there. Thanks for the reminder!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

todd sali
on Jan 2, 2007 at 6:18:54 pm

Does anyone see the coupler type patch panel on monoprice? I'm only finding the wired type.

also - would this (RJ45 ABCD 4Way, Switch Box) work if there is only 1 device to be shared? - 1 deck shared by 3 or 4 systems for example:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10103&cs_id=10...

Thanks,
Todd

Todd Sali
TheSandbox

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 2, 2007 at 6:54:21 pm

[todd sali] "also - would this (RJ45 ABCD 4Way, Switch Box) work if there is only 1 device to be shared? - 1 deck shared by 3 or 4 systems for example:"

I don't see why not. Same idea as the panel Bob recommended to me, just with the hard switch on the front. I followed Bob's Pin wiring plan on all my connectors and would recommend you do the same.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 3, 2007 at 9:57:15 pm

the problem with the ABCD switch is not the RS422 - you have to get your audio and video from the VTR into all 4 systems as well. This means patch bays or a router.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]