FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing Beta with Kona Problem

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
plbhl1
Capturing Beta with Kona Problem
on Dec 23, 2006 at 5:10:50 pm

Hello, I need to capture from a Beta 1800 for an offline, with Kona card 2.0.1. (w Breakout Box) and FCP 5.1.1 G5 Quadcore. I can't get video into the card, audio is fine. I am attempting to use the DVCPro50 codec in FCP to keep my file size down. 10 & 8 bit Uncompressed is too big for my storage, which is 2T. (feature length doc with a boat load of footage for rough cut concepts) I understand that I am capturing DV format 480 3:2 rather than CCIR-601 486 40:27. What I know for sure: Deck is outputting component, Cables are good throughout system, Kona is outputting to ref monitor from FCP and I get test patterns from card to ref monitor. Tried bypassing breakout box with Kona cable, same problem. Sync is Black Burst, tried sending to deck, deck control is working. Settings: Kona: Input= analog component beta Format= 525i29.97 primary and secondary Gen Lock=ref in 525i29.97 Input is reading "No Video" FCP: Device Control= kona 29.97 Sony VTR A Capture= 525 DVCPro50 AV Devices Playback Output= 525i29.97 10 bit 720x486 THANKS!!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Capturing Beta with Kona Problem
on Dec 23, 2006 at 6:23:11 pm

I ASSUME that you are using a Kona LHe or Kona LSe card, and not the Kona 3 card. Assuming this is correct, simply go to the EASY SETUPS, and select Kona Beta 8 bit uncompressed, say ok, and try it again. If it still does not work, quit FCP, and in your applications folder find the AJA Kona Control Panel. Open this up, click on your INPUT tab, and select ANALOG COMPONENT - play your Beta VTR - you should instantly see your Beta VTR on your TV monitor, if your TV is hooked up to the output of the Kona.

Don't worry about FCP until you can get video to pass thru your system via the AJA kona Control Panel. Once you have this working, then go back to FCP, and USE THE EASY SETUPS !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

plbhl1
on Dec 23, 2006 at 7:13:15 pm

Thanks Bob,

Do you think there is a confilct issue with capturing with the DVCPro50 Codec?
I noticed there's an 8 bit to DV Easy Setup, but that gives me DV25 capture.
I would like to use DV50 bitrate.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 23, 2006 at 7:34:09 pm

as I said in my post, I don't give a CRAP about DVCPro50 right now, or Final Cut Pro. I want you do test your Kona Card with the AJA Kona Control Panel.
I will not assist you any further until you find, and launch AJA Kona Control Panel, and test to see if your Beta machine is going thru your AJA Kona card.

Please let me know.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

plbhl1
on Dec 23, 2006 at 8:05:55 pm

I'm there...
still no video

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 23, 2006 at 8:24:14 pm

ok -
you said that you COULD get the Kona Control panel test patterns on your TV - am I correct ? This means that your Kona card can output to the TV monitor (am I correct ?).

One more time - take the beta analog component output (with 3 cables) into the AJA KL box (your breakout box) inputs. Make sure the INPUT tab of the control panel is ANALOG COMPONENT BETACAM - when you play a beta tape, you should see a picture.

If you do not, take the cables that came with the Kona LHe card, and disconnect your KL box, and use the break out cable they gave you. Try the same test, using the cables that come from AJA on that break out cable.
If this does not work, let me know.

If this does not work (with the original AJA Kona breakout cable - NOT using the AJA KL box - you should RELOAD your Kona drivers from the AJA website, and try again. If this still fails (and you are ABSOLUTELY SURE that your BNC video cables are ok), you may have a bad Kona card.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

plbhl1
on Dec 23, 2006 at 8:39:56 pm

ok -
you said that you COULD get the Kona Control panel test patterns on your TV - am I correct ? This means that your Kona card can output to the TV monitor (am I correct ?).

YES

One more time - take the beta analog component output (with 3 cables) into the AJA KL box (your breakout box) inputs. Make sure the INPUT tab of the control panel is ANALOG COMPONENT BETACAM - when you play a beta tape, you should see a picture.

IS AS YOU NOTED, STILL NO VIDEO

If you do not, take the cables that came with the Kona LHe card, and disconnect your KL box, and use the break out cable they gave you. Try the same test, using the cables that come from AJA on that break out cable.
If this does not work, let me know.

TRIED IT, STILL NO VIDEO

If this does not work (with the original AJA Kona breakout cable - NOT using the AJA KL box - you should RELOAD your Kona drivers from the AJA website, and try again. If this still fails (and you are ABSOLUTELY SURE that your BNC video cables are ok), you may have a bad Kona card.

CABLES HAVE BEEN TESTED, ALL ARE GOOD.
I WILL RELOAD THE DRIVERS NEXT, THANKS AGAIN.

Return to posts index

plbhl1
on Dec 23, 2006 at 8:56:40 pm

reloaded the drivers, still no video.

it's looking more like a bad card.

thanks again.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 23, 2006 at 9:18:39 pm

Bottom line -
you use the original Kona cables with your Kona card (no KL box). You run AJA Kona Control Panel - you can see the test patterns, but you can't see the Beta thru the AJA Kona using AJA Kona Control PAnel, and you are sure that the cables are good.

You have reloaded the AJA drivers.

You probably have a bad Kona card.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 23, 2006 at 8:27:13 pm

I reread your original post - you said that you DID try to bypass the breakout box with the original Kona cable supplied with the Kona card (using the BNC's supplied by AJA). If you cannot get your Beta VTR to pass thru the Kona card, I urge you to RELOAD the AJA Kona drivers from the AJA website, and try all over again, using only AJA Kona Control Panel.

If this still fails - may I URGE YOU to try this. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take one BNC cable, plug one end into the Y output of your Beta VTR, and plug the other end of the BNC into your TV monitor composite input. Play a tape. You should see a black and white image. If you do not, this means that the Y output of your Beta VTR is not working. If it does play a black and white image, you certainly may have a defective Kona card.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Dec 25, 2006 at 2:53:34 am

I must say that for a web thread Bob has done an excellent job of breaking down the specific tasks to try to solve this issue. In troubleshooting any problem it is imperative that you are methodical and logical in how you approach the problem. And also that you try everything.....Bob suggested to test the Y output of the Beta deck, because that could be the problem...a longshot, but possible.

This guy should write a check for $100 and mail it to Bob's hideout....wherever the heck that is. Better yet, Paypal him the money.

Bob works weekends, by the way.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 25, 2006 at 2:55:31 pm

I accept no money - but my charity of choice is the American Humane Society.

Merry Christmas -
Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

plbhl1
on Dec 26, 2006 at 5:52:32 pm

Bob,

thanks again for all the help.
Spoke to Kona today, looks like a bad card, they are overnighting a new one.
Customer support is excellent there.

Paul Buhl

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Dec 27, 2006 at 9:15:02 pm

They are the best in the world!

That's why I will always use AJA products, even if a competitor has something better!

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 28, 2006 at 12:34:59 pm

[Wayne Carey] "even if a competitor has something better!"

Like THAT will ever happen! :-)

And kudos to Bob for your work on this thread. Nice work breaking it all down.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Mike L
on Dec 29, 2006 at 9:04:15 pm

Bob:

EXCELLENT job of User Support. A thousand moos to you!

Mike L

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]