FORUMS: list search recent posts

moving to kona

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Davison
moving to kona
on Dec 22, 2006 at 1:06:09 pm

OK - So Ive been using Blackmagic cards for a couple of years now and have been slightly frustrated with their inability to cope in a professional On Line situation - the question is - Is the Kona a better solution?
The BM cards have trouble editing back to tape - Mine doubles up on the first frame and only got frame accurate in a recent release - Anything I Batch Digitise has a strange frame rate and while this is OK in FCP when I try to go into Final Touch for grading this becomes an issue. It seems that BM are switching there development away from a pro market and more to the prosumer end while Kona are working closer with Apple.

I am putting in 2 new On Line suites so I need to get two Cards - I understand that Kona and BM are compatible so that shouldnt cause any problems - is Kona a more professional alternative? Im doing HD work for Discovery and Nat Geo.

My main suite at the mo consists of:-
Quad G5 with Nvidia Quattro fx 4500
Atto celerity 4gb
Huge Storage Fiberchannel
Sony HDW M2000p
Videotek VTM Rasterizer
Blackmagic HDpro
Multibridge
FCP Motion, Final Touch HD Sort of (!) -
The patience of a saint

The Mac Pros have the Radeon XT1900s

Can anyone see any issues?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: moving to kona
on Dec 22, 2006 at 1:34:43 pm

[Sean Davison] "I am putting in 2 new On Line suites so I need to get two Cards - I understand that Kona and BM are compatible so that shouldnt cause any problems - is Kona a more professional alternative? Im doing HD work for Discovery and Nat Geo."

Bottom line, AJA is a broadcast centric company. They're not about cutting corners to give you cheap stuff so you can call yourself an HD facility. They build solid equipment to standard broadcast specs that are reliable enough to be used in some very low-key broadcast events like the World Series, Super Bowl and NASCAR coverage. That means they're built to very high standards because when it comes to Network HD Sports, they're all about the highest picutre quality and of course the product has to work every time.

I compared AJA with BMD when I switched from the CineWave and I went with the Kona 2 and we still run that system alongside two Kona 3 systems. AJA stays on top of all the Apple releases, they work very closely with the FCP team and you just can't say enough about Tech Support.

We're delivering HD broadcast episodic series to the networks and we've been commended on several occasions for delivering some of the best looking HD they're receiving. Definitely do a search on this forum as you'll find examples from myself, Gary Adcock and many others on why they use the Kona series.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Sean Davison
on Dec 22, 2006 at 2:21:59 pm

Thanks walter - You got that Ole Final Touch workin yet?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 22, 2006 at 2:38:58 pm

[Sean Davison] "You got that Ole Final Touch workin yet?"

You're a funny man. We'll just keep that discussion in the Silicon Color forum.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

R.Howard
on Dec 22, 2006 at 5:28:06 pm

Sean,

I triple Walter, AJA provides a professional product that just happens to be used by some consumers. You will find every professional post house using the AJA products while yes, some use others, most rely on the AJA name. There are lots of reasons but the bottom line is that they engineer a solid product.

We have been developing with the AJA hardware for a long time (prior to an HD board) and can say the hardware has always done everything they have stated :). I can't speak for how Apple puts the hardware to work in their apps but we are 100% satisfied.

Cheers,
Ramona

Ramona Howard
SpectSoft, LLC
593 Hi-Tech Parkway Suite B
Oakdale, CA 95361
Phone: 209.847.7812 extension 104
Fax: 209.847.7859
http://www.spectsoft.com

RaveHD - Changing the way you think about HD

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Dec 24, 2006 at 11:39:08 pm

Just to add... AJA was in the video hardware conversion technology long before the availability of all this stick-a-card-in-your-Mac business. It wasn't (and still isn't) uncommon to see their hardware converters on A-list movie production sets.

We've been using their hardware (a lot of it) since the original AJA Kona SD debuted. For the record, we do use some BMD hardware, but our main HD edit suite uses nothing but (and a lot of) AJA hardware whereas the BMD hardware is sprinkled throughout other areas of the facility, like video-out support for audio production in the audio control room and video-out support for previewing CGI on one of our Windows 3D workstations.

When it comes down to it, AJA's core video hardware is top-of-the-line.

Marco Solorio  |  OneRiver Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]