FORUMS: list search recent posts

MAC PRO KONA 3 External SATA

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marcus
MAC PRO KONA 3 External SATA
on Dec 14, 2006 at 1:50:40 am

Recently our company upgraded to KONA3 card with the new MAC PRO. We were not aware our External SATA drives would not be 100% compaditable with the MAC PRO. The drives do mount and seem to work fine in Standard Def and compressed HD, but start to drop frames when dealing with Uncompress capturing. Spoke with AJA and was referred to use Fibre or SCSI based on the LH FAQ portion of their site.

We've installed a temp Fibre Channel Drives and set the card on port 4, with the KONA3 card on Port 3. Do note the drives are RAID 0.
Still having dropped frames when capturing Uncompress HD to the drives.

My questions are:
1) Why does the MAC PRO not support External SATA?
2) Any ideas to contribute to my Fibre issues?
3) What type of other storage solution has been proven to work?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You All For Your Professional Experience

Marcus

MAC PRO 2.66 Dual Core Intel
2GB of RAM
3.2 TB of EXTERNAL SATA (from Promax)
500GB FIBRE CHANNLE
OS 10.4.8
KONA 3 Drivers vs3.3
FCP 5.1.2

Return to posts index

debbimita
Caldigit S2VR HD SATA RAID
on Dec 14, 2006 at 9:01:59 am

if talking about Mac Pro, your best bet is CalDigit's S2VR HD.
Cal Digit announced Mac Pro driver long time ago and has been proved by many pros here.
http://www.caldigit.com/ENews/10-25-2006.html

Maxx digital and other companies are selling it.
http://www.maxxdigital.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=60&products_id=367

Return to posts index

nikolas t
Re: MAC PRO KONA 3 External SATA
on Dec 14, 2006 at 9:30:48 am

How many hard drives inside of your eSATA storage? If 5, you'll need to add another 5 drives. As far as I know, only CalDigit offers eSATA storage can playback and capture uncompressed 10 bit HD.

I've been editing commercials with S2VR HD and Mac Pro, KONA 3 for more than 2 month.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 14, 2006 at 11:40:26 am

[marcus] "We were not aware our External SATA drives would not be 100% compaditable with the MAC PRO. The drives do mount and seem to work fine in Standard Def and compressed HD, but start to drop frames when dealing with Uncompress capturing."

That's not a Mac Pro issue. That's a drive speed issue. Your drives are not fast enough for Uncompressed HD.

For SATA, you need a CalDigit S2VR HD or your own 8 - 10 bay hard drive array capable of 300MB/s +

For Fibre Channel, look at Ciprico.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

marcus
on Dec 14, 2006 at 6:59:54 pm

Thank You Guys for Responding

The External SATA drives are 8drives RAID 0 with 3.2TB of Storage from PROMAX. These drives were before used on POWERPC G5 Dual 2 with 4gig of RAM and using the KONA2 card 3.2 version of drivers. The system could capture and output feature length 1080i 29.97 at 10bit Uncompress with no problems. When we upgraded to the MACPRO and the KONA3, we hooked up the same External SATA RAID and started to have dropped frames on capture.

We then borrowed a FIBRE ARRAY with 16drives with 500gigs Striped RAID 0 and a APPLE FIBRE CHANNEL PCI EXPRESS CARD. We capture 2min worth of 1080i 29.97 DVCPROHD but crashed when we tried capturing 8/10bit Uncompress.

My question is why and how do I fix this.
Could I ever use these drives from PROMAX on the MACPRO and perform the above task?

Thank You Again for Your Help

Marcus

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 14, 2006 at 7:33:34 pm

[marcus] "The External SATA drives are 8drives RAID 0 with 3.2TB of Storage from PROMAX."

What kind of SATA controller card? DId you update to a PCIe version with related drivers?

Does the card even have universal binary drivers?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

marcus
on Dec 14, 2006 at 9:06:19 pm

RocketRAID 2320 with the MAC drivers vs1.03 from http://www.highpoint-tech.com/
These drivers are for the MAC PRO 10.4.8

Hope this is helpfull

Marcus

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 14, 2006 at 9:34:04 pm

It's listed as compatible with MacPros. Did you set up your PCI slots appropriately? There's a read me file that comes with Kona drivers. Make sure you follow the directions there.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

vman06830
Mac Pro sotrage solution.
on Dec 15, 2006 at 1:48:28 am

We are using CalDigit's solution... and HEY! It runs with Mac Pro.

You will need a SATA card:
http://www.caldigit.com/FASTA-4e.asp

If your current drives aren't fast enough, CalDigit has a offers an awesome storage solution:
http://www.caldigit.com/S2VRHD.asp

Their 5-drive RAID solution is about 30MB/s - 50MB/s faster than any other solution. This gives you safer margin to do the editing.

You don't have to pay any extra for the SATA card because its included, the price is pretty sweet. You should check it out.

Return to posts index

marcus
Re: Mac Pro sotrage solution.
on Dec 16, 2006 at 12:01:23 am

Thank You Vman06830, Jeremy G and others for the recommendation of CalDigit.
Just want to confirm if you have been able to capture 10bit Uncompress with out a hitch, if not please explain.

Thank You Again for Your Help & Professional Service

Marcus Ionis

Return to posts index

Jeremy Newmark
on Dec 16, 2006 at 12:54:11 am

Marcus,

If you are using PROMAX drives, then you should give them a call. They should be able to get you configured properly.

Return to posts index

debbimita
on Dec 19, 2006 at 8:32:11 am

[marcus] "Just want to confirm if you have been able to capture 10bit Uncompress without a hitch, if not please explain."

with CalDigit's S2VR HD 5-bay SATA RAID, capture, playback, no problem.

Return to posts index

marcus
on Dec 19, 2006 at 6:18:09 pm

Thank You for the update
It's great to receive a professional response and follow up from a fellow peer.

Best Wishes & Happy Holidays

Marcus

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 16, 2006 at 4:43:58 am

[marcus] "My question is why and how do I fix this.
Could I ever use these drives from PROMAX on the MACPRO and perform the above task?"

Have you called ProMax? They're generally very responsive to tech support calls and have been building FCP systems pretty much since the day it was released.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

marcus
on Dec 18, 2006 at 6:27:27 pm

I've called two business days ago and haven't received a call back.
Thank You

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: MAC PRO KONA 3 External SATA - the answer
on Dec 16, 2006 at 6:54:59 pm

Marcus -
this is the answer to all of your questions. You own a ProMax SATA array with 8 SATA drives. This is in a KANO Technologies enclosure - this is a very nice product, but I am not exactly sure which KANO enclosure you have. Kano makes a 4 bay and 5 bay PORT MULTIPLIER enclosure for your existing SATA drives, that will allow you to use the correct SATA host card in your MAC Pro. The correct SATA Host card for the MAC Pro is the
Cal-Digit FASTA-4e, which ProMax can sell you. You will put your drives into these enclosures, plug them into the Cal-Digit FASTA-4e, and re-raid your 8 drives (yes, you will lose your media) - using Apple Disk Utility, but when you do the RAID, you will click on OPTIONS, and change the Block Size from the default of 32k to 256K. You let the Apple Disk Utility create the RAID 0, and now you can do uncompressed HD. The Cal-Digit FASTA-4e will cost you about $299. I don't know how much ProMax charges for their port multipler chassis, but they are probably under $499 each (you will need 2, because you have 8 drives). This will ABSOLUTELY work for uncompressed HD.

NOW, as for your tests with the Apple XServe RAID, that failed after 2 minutes. You MUST upgrade the firmware for the XServe RAID to V1.5, and after you do this, you run the Apple RAID ADMIN, and in the "settings" menu, change the settings preferences so that CACHE FLUSHING is turned off. If you do not do this, you will not be able to record uncompressed HD on the XServe RAID (I am assuming that this is a 14 drive Apple XServe RAID in a RAID 50 configuration - if you have 4-7 drives, you aint' gonna to uncompressed HD on an XServe RAID).

The most important question here is "how come you have to know all of this stuff to make it work". This is what SYSTEMS INTEGRATION is all about, and why it's good to have a good dealer that you work with . If you bought from ProMax, they are a GREAT DEALER, and they would have helped you with this, if you had the brains to simply ask them.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

marcus
Re: MAC PRO KONA 3 External SATA - the answer
on Dec 18, 2006 at 6:19:15 pm

Thank You for Your Reply.
I do appreciate the detail in your response but don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]