FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT (but related): Setting Up Edit Network - Question

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Quadmonkey
OT (but related): Setting Up Edit Network - Question
on Dec 14, 2006 at 1:24:32 am

Hi there,

I currently work in a facility with one online edit suite and a second offline edit suite. I am looking into the costs for inexpensively linking the two systems.

First question is: In linking the systems, am I correct to assume the flow will be: decks > AJA controller panel > Router > Kona cards in Edit 1 & Edit 2 respectively?

I have suspicions that the flow for the Controller Panel and Router is reversed.

Thanks for any input - links to literature, routers, or threads relating to video networking MUCH appreciated.

Brett

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: OT (but related): Setting Up Edit Network - Question
on Dec 15, 2006 at 2:19:32 am

Brett -
If you think that you are going to wire up two edit suites with shared access to your VTR's, so that you can take any of your analog audio, AES audio, SDI video, Analog composite or component video, and RS422 control - AND DO THIS YOURSELF, without any background or experience - then you are in dreamland.

You need to hire a qualified systems integrator, or freelance video engineer, that knows about multi level routing switchers, patch bays, and doing this in a way that you do not have a complete mess at your company.

Reading a brochure on routing switchers will not aid you in doing this, and simple advice on forums like this will not magically make this happen.

If you do not listen to my advice, and simply order an 8x8 composite video/stereo audio router from B+H Photo (for example), you will soon find out that you have ordered the wrong equipment, after spending a lot of money, and that this is more complicated than you think.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Quadmonkey
on Dec 15, 2006 at 5:56:23 am

Thanks for the advice Bob,

As far as my background, I have the knowledge of what I need to do to go about setting up the network, but not the experience. And I definitely agree with you, this is not a simple task that one can just jump into.

At the same time, I need to explore the limitations of my knowledge and know that I wont blow a bunch of money on a consultant when they ended up setting up the hardware that I suspected I needed. It's a tricky predicament, but when taken at a slow pace, will provide what I desire, knowledge and experience. Oh yea, and the company gets another online edit suite.

I have learned a lot by asking questions and researching hardware the last day or so and had a some previous thoughts revised as well as some previous suspicions confirmed. I'm going to proceed - but with great caution and care.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 16, 2006 at 6:40:35 pm

This is a simple overview. Right now, you have one system - the VTR goes into your AJA product, and you have a TV montitor that you can observe the output of your AJA or VTR. You may have your audio cables going into a mixer from your VTR and AJA. You monitor sound from your mixer.

NOW, you want to share that VTR (or countless other VTR's, and other equipment) with TWO FCP edit systems. EVERY ONE of these cables needs to become available to anything else - because you may not only want to share the VTR, you may want to make dubs from one VTR to another VTR. Every cable from every VTR and every edit system needs to come to a central point - that could be audio and video and RS422 patch bays (in a rack), or into a central router. If you have the money for a router (and I bet you don't) - it needs to handle analog composite, analog component, SDI, possibly HD-SDI, and analog audio, Time Code, and RS422.

Many people say "I have my beta VTR hooked up to my AJA I/O or Kona LHe, how come I need so much stuff if I just want to add one more AJA product on another MAC - why do I need so many cables, and so much other stuff - can't I just plug in the other AJA product to that Beta VTR". This is the beginning of the education process (there ain't no place to plug into - it's all plugged into the first system).

If you want more details, post your email address, and you can send me an equipment list, and I will show you what is really involved. This is beyond the scope of this forum.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]