FORUMS: list search recent posts

Internal Sata Raid for Mac Pro

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jpirizarry
Internal Sata Raid for Mac Pro
on Dec 12, 2006 at 8:23:27 pm

I bought three seagate barracuda Sata drives, and installed them inside my new mac pro. Then I set them up as a RAID 0. Is this a wise thing to do? Someone told me that Raid 0 work better in pairs. This setup doesn't seem to be very fast. Is there a way I can set them up to be able to capture HD uncompressed?

Thanks
Joel

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Internal Sata Raid for Mac Pro
on Dec 12, 2006 at 9:01:46 pm

Whoever told you that RAID 0 arrays needs to be in pairs is mis-informed. This was a "rule" years ago on OS-9 MAC AVID systems, and it no longer applies to any MAC or PC AVID or FCP system.

If you have Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 drives, this will work just fine for 8 and 10 bit Standard Def uncompressed, and DVCProHD. This will NOT be fast enough for uncompressed HD. If you require uncompressed HD, let me know, and I will tell you what to get, and where to get it.

You can test your RAID speed using AJA Kona System Test, which is a free download on the AJA website.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

jpirizarry
on Dec 12, 2006 at 9:06:56 pm

Thanks for your rapid response. What system do I need for HD Uncompressed? Can I use the hard drives I have in another system to make them faster?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 12, 2006 at 10:53:06 pm

If you want to re-use the drives that you just purchased, you can put them, along with 7 more, into two Sonnet Fusion 500P external SATA chassis, and control all of it with a Sonnet E4P card. If you are willing to simply use these for graphics, and want to spend a little less, you can get the fantastic Cal-Digit S2VR, which comes with drives (no, you can't buy it empty and put in your own drives), and this single 5 drive chassis will do uncompressed HD.
You can get all this stuff from Ron at Maxx Digital at (714) 374 4944.
Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 12, 2006 at 11:22:55 pm

[jpirizarry] "Thanks for your rapid response. What system do I need for HD Uncompressed? Can I use the hard drives I have in another system to make them faster?"

Look at the CalDigit S2VR HD model. 5 drives in a SATA enclosure that is built for Uncompressed HD at a great price. I just purchased and installed a 3.7TB unit and I get 210MB/s Write and 230MB/s Read. Plenty fast enough for uncompressed HD.

You'll get a 4 slot card with it as well which allows you to hook up to four SATA units with zero loss of data throughput. I saw this as I was testing one of their S2VR Duo units for a Creative Cow Review. With both the Duo and the HD unit connected and running, there was no drop in speed for either unit.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Dec 13, 2006 at 3:30:07 am

I just bought a 2nd Sonnet Fusion500P box and E4P. Great solution and about the cheapest you can get if you find a good deal on internal 500 gig SATAII drives...which are always out there. :-)

You're talking about 2.3 terabytes when all is said and done and if I remember correctly, about 190mps speeds. Plenty of speed for DVCProHD, which is what we work in regularly.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Jahmedia
on Dec 13, 2006 at 3:31:14 am

Also, Granite Digital makes some great RAIDS along with High-point Technology RocketRAID control cards. Expandable RAID systems are their exclusive domain currently. Just keep adding drives to expand your RAID set. We run RAID 5 but 10 is possible as well.

Good bang for the buck.

Return to posts index

Don Wilson
on Dec 15, 2006 at 12:34:02 am

Gotta say I'm happy that all you guys are having success with the CalDigit boxes. I had to make a decision just after the MPs came out and the CalDigit guys made me feel they were on top of it so I bought them waiting for the drivers and have been very happy. I got some resistance in the early going from some of the more skeptical Cowers but feel a sense of relief I didn't steer anyone wrong. I'm about to pony up for another box. Besides, they look cool too.

Don Wilson
AmericanaMediaInc.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]