FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is this NONSENSE??

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chemix
Is this NONSENSE??
on Dec 12, 2006 at 8:21:05 pm

Ok, is this scenario a total nonsense to any of you? (this is what I'm planning to do with my studio...)

digitizing: Sony Z1 to Convergent Design HD connect SI to Kona LH SDI in
monitoring HD & audio: Kona LH SDI out to AJA HI5 to plasma (hdmi)+ speakers
monitoring & mastering SD: Kona LH components out (downconverted) to DVCAM deck + SD monitor

All I need to get is the Kona & both converters (already have the rest including Xserve Raid)

Any possible issues with this setup? Any suggestions? I really want to move to HD workflow and dont want to wait for Sony's new HDV deck with SDI & RS 422.

Thanks a bunch for your time & help

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Is this NONSENSE??
on Dec 12, 2006 at 8:25:02 pm

[chemix] "Any possible issues with this setup? Any suggestions? I really want to move to HD workflow and dont want to wait for Sony's new HDV deck with SDI & RS 422."

You don't need HDMI to your plasma. You can feed component directly out of the LH. that's what we do here and the picture is stunning.

You don't need a converter for your Z1 to the Kona LH. Come Component right out of that camera to the LH and get a set of RCA to XLR audio cables to come RCA audio straight out of the camera. That will save you some money.

If you really want to go SDI into the box, then get the AJA HD10AVA converter which gives you Component and Analog Audio to SDI with embedded audio.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 12, 2006 at 9:04:20 pm

Walter is getting on my nerves - he is ALWAYS CORRECT (how can I be a smart ass, if he is always correct !).

Listen to Walter. Save some money.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

chemix
on Dec 12, 2006 at 10:41:53 pm

Ok, great news! I'll save some money there, but how will I go out to SD downconverted if I'm using the component out to preview on the plasma and I don't have a deck with SDI in? (most of our jobs still call for a 4:3 SD final copy)

Thanks again

BUNKER studio
"edit in paradise"

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 12, 2006 at 10:56:53 pm

As you get deeper into the video business, you will soon realize that you will keep spending, and spending and spending, and it's NEVER over. You have correctly observed that you now will need to route your analog component signal to different places - like your Plasma or LCD display, and to your Beta VTR, and who knows where else. There are many solutions to this problem, but the easiest cheapest solution is a video patch bay (about $500 from Canare). This will allow you to patch the signal around to different destinations. Certainly a router that can handle analog HD would be easier (just push a button), but requires as much wiring, and will cost A LOT MORE MONEY. Another solution is to get an analog component HD DA (from someone like Kramer electronics), which will electronically split the analog component signal (even if it's HD component) and sent it to the Beta VTR AND to the Plasma TV -all at the same time with no patching. You can get this at http://www.markertek.com

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 12, 2006 at 11:20:13 pm

[Bob Zelin] "There are many solutions to this problem, but the easiest cheapest solution is a video patch bay (about $500 from Canare). This will allow you to patch the signal around to different destinations."

Absolutely the cheapest solution you'll find.

OR

I'm assuming you don't need to output to your SD decks all the time. You could do something as simple as get an extra set of Component cables and just connect up your beta deck when you need to actually lay off to it. Keep your Plasma screen connected normally and swap the cables when you need to go to your Beta deck.

One thing I did with my Panasonic plasma was to install two Component inputs so I can monitor my Kona board and a second Component input by simple switching inputs. In your case you could feed the Component output of your Beta deck to the Plasma so when you're laying off to it, you simply switch to see the output.

I'm sure 10 other people can give you 10 other ideas. The possibilities are endless. All it takes is a little money. :-)

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

chemix
on Dec 12, 2006 at 11:22:31 pm

Thank you both for all your info. Is there a email adress I can send you a schematic drawing of what I have in mind so you can have a look at it? I've been talking to a broadcast equipment salesperson in Madrid but... I trust your opinions better!

Thanks in advance

BUNKER studio
"edit in paradise"

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 12, 2006 at 11:23:49 pm

[chemix] "Is there a email adress I can send you a schematic drawing of what I have in mind so you can have a look at it?"

It's on the Contact page of my website. website address in my signature.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

chemix
on Dec 12, 2006 at 11:28:33 pm

OK! awesome. I'll get it sketched up tomorrow at the studio (now I'm at home, It's getting kind of late over here...) and will send it out to you.

Feeling a lot better already, I think I'll actually get some sleep tonight.

Hasta ma

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 12, 2006 at 11:15:13 pm

[Bob Zelin] "Walter is getting on my nerves - he is ALWAYS CORRECT"

If only that were truly the case. You have a lot more answers than me.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]