FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where should I spend my

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chemix
Where should I spend my
on Dec 8, 2006 at 1:53:27 pm

Hi there all, I'm also posting on Decklink forum

My partner (the "video" guy) and myself (the "techy" one) own a small production studio in the Canary Islands, Spain. We do mostly documentaries & industrial video for local TV sations and Gouvernment agencies.

I'm in search of an upgrade path to work with HDV footage. Already own a Z1 & A1 but for now, I downconvert to DV from the camera and do all my work on FCP, using a dual G5 PowerMAC, outputting through a Decklink SP to a UVW 1800. Fine for now but my partner & me would like to be able to work entirely in HD, monitoring on our 26" SAMSUNG LCD and downconvert just to output to SD (most of our clients still ask for it...)

Our studio:
Z1, A1
edit station - dual G5 2.3, Decklink SP, Xserve RAID w/7 ADM, UVW 1800P, DSR 45P, Broadcast field monitor (SD), Samsung LCD, audio, etc...

We also have a dual G4 (latest build, solid as a rock) used mainly for after effects, photoshop, etc., and a Powerbook G4 that we normally take to all our shooting trips, FW 800 drives, MBox...

My idea:

1. "transfer" all SD hardware to the G4 (Decklink SP, Betacam, DVcam...) to ingest the ocassional SD material we get and some SD edit work along with the graphics.

2. Buy an HDV deck to avoid wear on the Z1.

3. Prepare the G5 to handle only HD material.

I don't see the need for Upconverting realtime so I feel the highest end cards (Kona3 or Decklink HD PRO...) do not apply, leaving me in the Kona LH - Decklink extreme range I guess. Then there's the AJA IO - Multibridge option... and finally that very affordable (?) Intensity HDMI card.

Also, how do you connect the HDV deck to the capture card? I've read is better to do it through video components, not firewire, but how do you get audio then? and what about controlling the deck...? Can it be controlled via firewire and still receive video through components?

Uff, I need a coffe or something...

Any help will be aprecciated

BUNKER studio
"edit in paradise"

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Where should I spend my
on Dec 8, 2006 at 4:10:11 pm

AJA Kona products are much better supported than any other product out there. Whichever card you choose to purchase, you'll be getting full broadcast quality products and the best tech support in the business. Because AJA products are used in such a wide array of broadcast level projects, they can even answer a lot of questions that have more to do with workflow than just tech on their products.

We use the realtime upconvert all the time for our HD projects as we use a lot archive materials for our documentary style work. So as long as you don't need anything at all, the LH (for G5 PCI-X machine) or LHe (for G5 Quad and Mac Pro's) will serve you well.

[chemix] "Then there's the AJA IO - Multibridge option... and finally that very affordable (?) Intensity HDMI card."

AJA Io is SD only.

[chemix] "Also, how do you connect the HDV deck to the capture card? I've read is better to do it through video components, not firewire, but how do you get audio then?"

With the LH or LHe you just run Component from the deck directly to the card. You get RCA to XLR audio cables for the audio.

With the Kona 2 (PCI-X) and Kona 3 (PCIe) you use the AJA HDAVA10A converter. Converts the Component video output and RCA Audio outputs of the deck to SDI video with embedded audio. We use it here.

[chemix] "Can it be controlled via firewire and still receive video through components?"

Yes, keep the iLink option set to DV and set your Device control to DV-PAL.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

chemix
on Dec 8, 2006 at 4:40:11 pm

Thanks for the info Walter. I feel I'm sold on the Kona LH. But allow me another Q. How would I feed the 26" LCD HDMI in? A HI5 converter from AJA taking SDI out from LH?

Thanks

BUNKER studio
"edit in paradise"

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 9, 2006 at 5:36:39 pm

yes, the AJA HI5 will convert HD-SDI to HDMI. I believe that Blackmagic also offers a similar HD-SDI to HDMI converter. But your Samsung also has analog component HD inputs, which you can feed directly from your AJA product without any converters.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

chemix
on Dec 10, 2006 at 9:43:40 am

Thanks a lot for your input. I'm set on the Kona LH + HVR M25U

BUNKER studio
"edit in paradise"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]