FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lacie S2S drive question

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dave garcia
Lacie S2S drive question
on Dec 7, 2006 at 2:55:12 pm

Hi,

We have a Kona LH running on a dual 2ghz G5. Our storage is a 1.25TB Lacie S2S. It does great with DVCPRO HD.

We are looking to add a second suite with a Kona 3 and a Mac Pro. We don't have a large budget for storage at the moment, so I was thinking we could pick up a second 1.25 TB S2S. My thinking was that on a day to day basis we will have to strong DVCPROHD suites, but if I needed uncompressed I could combine the two on the MacPro. If I raided the two lacies together would would that be sufficient for uncompressed 1080p?

We don't often have a call for uncompressed, but we did a a commercial we shot on HDCAM SR not long ago that I had to ofline to DVCPROHD. I would have prefered to edit it uncompressed. I have heard that for uncompressed you need 3TB of space I guess I'm hoping we could get away with this for the time being as we already own the one.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

David

Return to posts index

Fred Connors Jr
Re: Lacie S2S drive question
on Dec 7, 2006 at 6:56:09 pm

David

--If I raided the two lacies together would would that be sufficient for uncompressed 1080p?
No, Firewire raids will not be fast enough for uncompressed HD

--I have heard that for uncompressed you need 3TB of space I guess I'm hoping we could get away with this for the time being as we already own the one.
Size is only one consideration, speed is the other. It just will not work for uncompressed HD

Fred

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 7, 2006 at 7:27:59 pm

[Fred Connors Jr] "No, Firewire raids will not be fast enough for uncompressed HD"

The S2S is a SATA array and yes, it should be fast enough for 1080p if you stripe two of them together. But keep in mind that it may not hold up all that long as you start to fill the drive up. A very fast Fibre Channel array is still preferred for uncompressed HD.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Fred Connors Jr
on Dec 8, 2006 at 2:29:25 pm

My mistake, I thought the S2 was firewire.

Do any of these external SATA Raid boxes RAID 3 or 5?

There was a time when disk were very expensive thus making RAID10 costly. I supose there is no longer any need for RAID 3 or 5 if RAID10 is so cost effective.

Fred

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 7, 2006 at 7:30:00 pm

[dave garcia] "I have heard that for uncompressed you need 3TB of space I guess I'm hoping we could get away with this for the time being as we already own the one."

For what? 3TB is an arbitrary number. You need what you need to complete the job. If you need space for 5 hours of uncompressed HD, well then 3TB isn't going to do it. 1TB is fine for uncompressed HD 30 second spots.

You need enough storage to complete all of your tasks at hand. We have about 6TB of storage in various units that we're starting to consolidate in fewer, larger arrays like the 3.7TB SATA unit I'm getting tomorrow. This will replace an older model 2TB Fibre array.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 7, 2006 at 11:23:04 pm

Dave -
One CalDigit S2VR (the one walter is getting) will do uncompressed HD. If you use TWO CalDigit or Sonnet Chassis stripped RAID 0, you will get over 450mb/sec, and this will work very well for uncompressed HD. Will it outperform the big Ciprico Fibre array when it starts to get full - probably not, but it will absolutely work.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

dave garcia
on Dec 8, 2006 at 4:58:30 am

Thanks all for the input. This has been very helpful. The amount of stuff on the drive is definitely the variable I was leaving out. As 30s spots are our usual format I think the second S2s will work for now.

cheers,

Dave

Return to posts index

adam@lacie
on Dec 18, 2006 at 11:05:55 pm

The LaCie S2S can handle HD Uncompressed.

Transfer rates will vary: Mac: up to 187MB/s; 64-bit PC: up to 160MB/s; 32-bit PC: up to 99MB/s**

This being said...I have seen with my own eyes the Mac Pro with AJA or Blackmagic showing a substained rate of 160. If you create the raid via the OS the Mac Pro shows a sustained rate of 200.

The interesting part is our S2S includes a PCI-E or PCI-X card offering 4 external eSATA ports. This will allow you to attach 4 S2S units and create a 10tb (4 x 2.5tb) raid "0" offering a sustained rate of 640 (4 x 160).

So yes it is possible to handle just about any HD uncompressed project you are or could be working with.

The cost? $2199.00 MSRP for each unit....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]