FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zelin's storage recommendation for FCP

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Holzman
Zelin's storage recommendation for FCP
on Dec 6, 2006 at 6:36:47 am

A while back Bob Zelin recommended the following drive set up for a low cost Raid 0 FCP system: Sonnet E4P, Fusion 500 and 5 Hitachi 500 Gig SATA drives. I'm now in need of storage for a G5 PCIx system that will have both FCP and M100HD on it with a Kona LH. My question is whether this is still recommended? Or has something like CalDigit (which MacGuru is pushing) replaced it. Or are they essentially equivalent. I mainly do SD--uncompressed or DVCPro 50. I'm just starting to do productions with DVC Pro 100. I'd like to be able to edit with 5 or 6 layers in RT.

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Zelin's storage recommendation for FCP
on Dec 6, 2006 at 12:04:34 pm

Both are highly recommended. Both work well.

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 6, 2006 at 1:25:40 pm

I agree - for standard def, both the Sonnet solution and the Cal Digit are teriffic, and very reliable. You can get both from Maxxdigital in california. The CalDigit is the only 5 drive solution that can do uncompressed HD, however.

Bob Zelin

ps - enough with the M100

Return to posts index

Paul Holzman
on Dec 6, 2006 at 2:31:44 pm

Thanks Shane and Bob....I'm assuming Caldigit can do the HD uncompressed by striping 10 drives together? And Sonnet can't?

Paul

PS, Bob, can we take the "ps enough with M100" offline? I'm curious.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 7, 2006 at 12:21:21 am

this is incorrect information. Both the Sonnet and Cal Digit will do uncompressed HD with 10 drives. But the Cal Digit will do uncompressed HD with 5 drives (the Sonnet will not). With 10 drives, you will get over 450mb/sec with both systems - faster than an Apple XServe RAID.

Bob Zelin
ps - as for the smart ass comments - if I can't make them, why should I even be alive ?

Return to posts index

Paul Holzman
on Dec 7, 2006 at 4:09:30 am

[Bob Zelin] "ps - as for the smart ass comments - if I can't make them, why should I even be alive ?"

I completely agree. Much of your essense would be missing. But I think you miscontrued my query (perhaps because so many people misconstrue your comments). I merely wanted to ask you a question about M100 without cluttering up the Kona forum.

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]