FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHe to ouput desktop at 1080p 60Hz?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jahmedia
Kona LHe to ouput desktop at 1080p 60Hz?
on Dec 5, 2006 at 8:42:43 pm

Hey Guys,

Is there a way to get the Kona LHe to output 1080p at 60Hz when outputing desktop mode? In the Apple Display Prefs, I only get 1920 x 1080(interlaced) at 30Hz. Its unbearable to look at. Gone thru every setting w/ no results.

MacPro Intel, Radeon X1900, Kona LHe to HDP SDI/ DVI Adapter to 23" Cinema Display.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Kona LHe to ouput desktop at 1080p 60Hz?
on Dec 5, 2006 at 10:49:43 pm

I don't think your display will accept a 1080p60 signal, but I could be wrong. That format is pretty much non existent.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jahmedia
on Dec 5, 2006 at 11:03:17 pm

All LCD's as I understand it are progressive scanning by nature.. I'm guessing the Kona simulates an interlaced "effect" to the desktop image. In Blackmagic Decklink Pro cards, you can turn off this "interlace" feature giving a smooth look we are used to in computer displays instead of the jittery spastic look of paused interlaced video. Was wondering if it is a software/ hardware design flaw in AJA or something I'm doing wrong. I've never had a monitor run below 60 hz before, even back in the Amiga days. It's impossible to look at for more than 5 seconds.

I'm going to try inserting a jumper into the AJA HDP SDI/DVI converter and forcing an progressive image to the display although not sure how it will look when actually editing interlaced video...

Thanks,

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 5, 2006 at 11:29:52 pm

But it's not your graphics card that is driving the display, it's your Kona card. The Kona card does not support 1080p60. 1080i60 is your best bet. The Kona card is a video capture device, not a computer monitor driver. 1080p60 is not really a standard in today's video environment. Even Sony's 1080p24 material is usually displayed at 48i.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jahmedia
on Dec 6, 2006 at 12:17:57 am

Fair enough.

I would be happy with any progressive frame - just not an interlaced signal that is unviewable. In the Kona Control Panel there is a checkbox for pause on full frame or fields but that doesn't seem to make a difference. I really got used to the Black-magic Decklink HD Card which seamlessly married video editing output with multi-tasking a 2nd desktop monitor in 60p. Was really nice. The AJA looks like shite in that regard.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: HDP 'force' progressive?
on Dec 6, 2006 at 1:08:34 am

Tell me, what are you trying to do? If you aren't watching footage with it, what are you doing with it? Even if you watched interlaced footage in your LCD it'd probably look pretty bad. It's a computer monitor, not a video monitor. Yes all Lcds are progressive by nature but some of them are set up better than other to handle interlaced video.

All this being said, I have no experience with the HDP converter so perhaps there's a setting in it somewhere that will look better for you.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 6, 2006 at 12:30:18 pm

[JeremyG] " The Kona card does not support 1080p60."

Not true - the Kona card does support 1080p60 but since there are so few devices that can capture that much content (the data rate is over 500 megabytes a second) not many people use it. (except maybe me).

[JeremyG] "Even Sony's 1080p24 material is usually displayed at 48i."
All of the 1080 formats below 30 frames play back as PsF - so that they appear on screen as interlaced content.

Chances are your output settings are incorrect. Most displays want to playback a 1080i signal or a 720p one. Even that new blu-ray or HDDVD high def disk player is NOT playing back as true progressive but as a progressive segmented frame ( PsF).

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 8, 2006 at 4:28:00 pm

[gary adcock] "Not true - the Kona card does support 1080p60 but since there are so few devices that can capture that much content (the data rate is over 500 megabytes a second) not many people use it. (except maybe me)."

Okay, then how would he set the extended desktop to display 1080p60?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 8, 2006 at 5:16:57 pm

[JeremyG] "Okay, then how would he set the extended desktop to display 1080p60?"

You can't 1080p60 is a Dual Link 4:4:4 HD format that is not supported on most displays

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 8, 2006 at 5:32:39 pm

That's what I thought.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]