FORUMS: list search recent posts

Installing kona 2 in G5

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rennie
Installing kona 2 in G5
on Dec 5, 2006 at 7:48:59 pm

I blew my firewire bus in in my 2GHZ dual G5 a while back so I have a pci firewire card in a slot. i have a Firmtek sata card in the 133 slot and with the kona 2 in the 100 slot it shares the bus with the firewire card and in doing so I get a message that the kona is running in pci configuration and not a pci-X configuration. I'm ok if I pull the firewire card but then I have no firewire on the computer for when i'm not using the kona. My question is - is their a firewire card that will be recognized as pci-x and be able to be installed with the kona even though I wouldn't use it with the kona card?

Return to posts index

leaknoil
Re: Installing kona 2 in G5
on Dec 5, 2006 at 10:47:00 pm

Slots 2 and 3 share the same buss and will only operate at the speed of the slowest card on the buss. With that firewire card in that mean PCI speeds. Only way you have a chance of making this work is to find a PCI-X firewire card or getting your computer fixed.

Return to posts index

leaknoil
on Dec 5, 2006 at 10:55:31 pm

Sorry. I missed where you mentioned you knew about the problem. There do seem to be a few PCI-X cards out there but, I haven't used any. Here's one I found http://www.datoptic.com/cgi-bin/web.cgi?product=1394B-PCI&detail=yes

Return to posts index

Rennie
on Dec 6, 2006 at 10:19:46 pm

Thanks for the input, I think I should contact AJA, maybe they've been through this and can recomend a specific card. Maybe I should at least get an estimate on repairing the G5 FW bus but how do you do with out your computer in the mean time. It sounds like this could just happen again if I do fix it. Appearently it may have been caused by the way I connected my dsr-11 to the computer. Firewire is suposed to be plug and play but appearently there are exceptions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]