FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connecting to a monitor from LHE junction box

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg
Connecting to a monitor from LHE junction box
by
on Dec 4, 2006 at 3:52:25 pm

I have a LHE junction box going between a Sony PVW 2800 and FCP on a G5 Quad. I'm editing component Beta SP. I'd like to be able to monitor digitizing and editing from the timeline. I have a composite NTSC monitor. Right now the only thing I've tried is to do is connect the monitor to the composite output of the PVW 2800. That worksm but it's frustrating to need to keep my Beta Deck on. Is there another way? I've heard about a cable that you can connect to the Y output of the junction box that will feed the monitor and also the input of the deck. That sounds like a splitter of some sort, but I'm wondering how that would affect the component input to the Beta Deck when mastering to tape.

Also, I'm getting a black sync line on the monitor, how do I add a reference signal? Do I connect something to the reference in of the deck? Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Connecting to a monitor from LHE junction box
on Dec 4, 2006 at 4:46:08 pm

The LHe uses the AJA KL box. It gives you Analog component OR analog composite output - not both at the same time. If you dont' want to monitor thru your VTR, you UNPLUG the cable from the AJA KL Video Out Y, and plug this into your TV composite video input, switch the Kona Control Panel analog out tab to COMPOSITE VIDEO, and you will see a picture. The "junction box" is called a Video DA, and you can purchase a small video DA from Markertek - companies like Horita, and Kramer make them. They cost about $300 or less. And no, there is no "Y" cable that you can split a video signal with. If you are using a professional video TV monitor, they all have "looping" inputs, so you can take the Y Out of the Kona, go into the TV, and loop off the input into the Beta VTR. The problem with doing this, is that when you swtich to COMPONENT output to feed the Beta VTR, you will only see a B+W signal on your TV. The AJA Kona LHe does NOT offer composite and component at the same time - it's one or the other, and I know this is a pain for you.

YES, you need a black generator. Buy a Horita BSG-50, stick one black signal into the REFEERNCE INPUT of your Kona KL box, and one black signal into the REF VIDEO IN of your PVW-2800 VTR. Make sure you TERMINATE the input of the Kona KL box with a 75 ohm BNC terminiator, and throw the 75 ohm switch on the Beta 2800. Then your black sync line will go away.

Do you need to buy all this stuff -
YES.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Smith
Re: Connecting to a monitor from LHE junction box
on Dec 5, 2006 at 10:59:54 am

I second Bob's suggestion on the Horita BSG-50. I bought one used, had an issue some time later, and Horita fixed it free under warranty and had it back to me in two days. Great service.

There are three on ebay right now. One is new in the box with a "buy it now" price of 199 . It's 329 at B&H.

Regards,
David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]