FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona lhe sound capture workflow

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
drazen
Kona lhe sound capture workflow
on Dec 3, 2006 at 3:12:20 am

Hi,

I've just sold my 2.7ghz 4gb ram dual g5 (that i loved very much but had only pci-x slots) and I am building a new Mac Pro setup. I will buy 2.66 xeon, load it with internal sata drives (4 X 750 gb internal), have 3gb ram, and I would like to purchase Kona Lhe. I want a rock solid machine, good suport and those are the main reasons I chose kona over blackmagic multibridge pro. I work mainly with hdv, I want to capture it with Kona Lhe in dvcpro hd codec, and I want to take advantage of Kona real time downconvert monitoring option since I don't have enough money for hd monitoring, and most of my project finish in sd anyway. I use sony hdv cameras and they have video component but only sound unbalanced outputs. So my concern what's the best and easiest way to capture video (in dvcprohd codec) and simultaneously capture proper sound that's in synch with the video. I've read basically all the treads on the subject but didn't yet find a transparent and easy answer to my dilemma. Any input is more than welcome.

Drazen
http://www.staderzen.com

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Kona lhe sound capture workflow
on Dec 3, 2006 at 5:26:31 am

Get yourself an audio mixer and feed your camera audio to it, then feed the mixer outs to the Kona2. Hook up your component outputs of the camera to the Kona inputs. Hook your firewire up for deck control and be sure to select it in the capture prefs. Once you get an as yet unreleased HDV deck you can then hook up via HD-SDI and RS-422.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

drazen
on Dec 3, 2006 at 9:03:09 am

Jeremy hi,

I'm not sure I was clear enough. I don't want to buy Kona 2, I just want to buy Kona LHe. Is there any cheaper and more solution than the one you just have mentioned. It seems quite complicated and expensive too, since it implies buying an additionial KONA 2 just for the sake of capturing unbalanced sound from sony hdv cameras. I beleive there must be a way to solve my issue with KOna LHe only.

Best regards

Drazen

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 3, 2006 at 7:03:34 pm

Sorry, I meant Kona LH. All you need to do is buy an audio mixer and put that into the mix. You can get really really cheap audio mixers that will do the job ($100 US or less). You have everything else you need otherwise.

Sorry that I wrote Kona 2, I meant to write Kona LH.

Read this link from AJA about working with HDV:

http://www.aja.com/pdf/support/AJA_whitepaper_HDV.pdf

Jeremy

Return to posts index

drazen
on Dec 3, 2006 at 10:33:43 pm

Hi Jeremy,

That's what I thought that you had in mind KONA LHe but I wasn't fully sure. After reading tons of realted post comparing aja and blackmagic, all roads for me lead to AJA kona LHe card. In case if you have any specific sound mixer in mind that would suit the job well please specify it. Otherwise thanks very much for the link you've provided and audio tip.

Best regards

Drazen
http://www.staderzen.com
http://www.honeymoonthemovie.net

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 3, 2006 at 10:44:55 pm

Depending on your budget, a mackie mixer will do just fine. If you want to go cheaper, Behringer is your choice. You can spend 50 bucks or 50000 bucks. Its really up to you.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

HD Freak
on Dec 14, 2006 at 3:30:42 pm

I saw somewhere else that a guy used the composite output from the Sony camera. How do you get that into FCP?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 14, 2006 at 4:24:44 pm

You saw a guy capture a composite output for sound? That's pretty amazing.

If you are talking about capturing a composite signal from a camera for video, you can use any capture device. The AJA io LA, io, and a SATA Raid and a MacBook Pro will serve you well. If you bring your entire rig, the Kona LH series is perfect as it has analog video in.

Is this what you mean, HD Freak?

Return to posts index

HD Freak
on Dec 14, 2006 at 4:43:11 pm

On the Lhe break out box there are composite inputs but not on the break-out cable (the "cheap" option which I have) but I still don't know how to get the audio in to FCP apart from using the XLR inputs which would require a small mixer with composite in and xlr out I presume.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 20, 2006 at 6:14:43 am

Composite in? Composite is video, sir. I am still confused about this composite audio business.

The audio out has a bnc connector, is that what you mean?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

HD Freak
on Dec 20, 2006 at 10:28:15 am

Yeah of course composite is video.
What I meant was the RCA white and red audio cables that usually come bundled with the video composite yellow cable (as in the case of the output from the Sony Z1 that has all three of these outputs on one end of the supplied cable).
My question was quite simple: is it possible to capture audio directly from the camera while at the same time capturing the video via the COMPONENT inputs.
The answer now I think is to either get RCA to XLR adapters and use the RCA output from the camera to connect to the Lhe audio inputs,
OR
plug the RCA outputs directly into a mixer, go from the mixer to the Lhe, then either go directly from the Lhe to the speakers or as Bob and Ron suggest, take the output back from the Lhe to the mixer then go from the mixer to the speakers.
I am now looking at mixers.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 20, 2006 at 3:32:13 pm

[HD Freak] "Yeah of course composite is video."

Got ya. I was confused as their are decks that have BNC connections for audio and I have never seen them on modern cameras.

The advice you got is correct. A mixer is your best bet as you you then be able to deal with the attenuation coming from RCA outputs.

Good luck.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]