FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timecode slips on output

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Lindhjem
Timecode slips on output
on Dec 1, 2006 at 4:35:25 pm

Having a strange timecode and/or sync issue on output using FCP 5.1.1, AJA Kona2(v2.0) w/ K-box, and a Panasonic AJ-SD930 deck in an XSan environment. Timecode gradually ends up being 3;19 too fast by the end of an hour long program. So where the program should end at 01 44 45;00, it ends at 01 44 41;11. The sequence is 29.97 drop and the settings match that across the board. Sync is generated by a Horita BSG-50 and has seperate BNCs going to both the K-box and the deck. The tape has been striped with 29.97 drop-frame timecode. I've trashed FCP prefs, I've restarted, I've gone through the deck settings to make sure it's drop. This worked yesterday! :( Another editor did get on the system in b/w to output through an AJA IO, and the way it's wired is that the SDI2 out from the K-box goes to the IO, so they did change some settings in both control panels to make it work. I've returned the Kona Control Panel back to it's previous settings of course. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
-Luke

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Timecode slips on output
on Dec 1, 2006 at 4:54:39 pm

I'd update your drivers to v3.3 as v3 and above is written for fcp 5.1.x

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Luke Lindhjem
on Dec 1, 2006 at 6:28:52 pm

Yep. Tried that but it didn't change anything. I'm suspicious that even though I'm blacking the tape with drop frame timecode it's actually writing non-drop timecode to the tape. That seems to be the only logical solution to me, yet I've triple-checked that the deck is set to DF in the menu and I've blacked a brand new tape. Any other thoughts?
thanks,
Luke

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 1, 2006 at 7:27:54 pm

Well check the tape, it is drop frame?

Return to posts index

Luke Lindhjem
on Dec 1, 2006 at 7:35:14 pm

Another good point. What happened was I had blacked the tape using the Edit to Tape window in FCP using Current Settings and making sure the 'drop frame' box was checked. Since I was suspicious that the tape itself was non-drop, I blacked a new tape using the INT SG of the deck with drop frame timecode. This worked just fine. What I haven't figured out--and what I don't really have time to figure out at this point, is why FCP would've blacked a tape with non-drop timecode when I specifically told it to use drop frame on 2 separate occassions. Ugh. Thanks for your help Jeremy.
-Luke

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 1, 2006 at 8:06:31 pm

[Luke Lindhjem] "Thanks for your help Jeremy."

Checking the box in FCP does not automatically 'send' drop frame tc to your deck. You have to set up your deck for DF and then set up FCP for DF so that your deck and tc will visually match (i.e. 01:21:21:21 in your FCP timeline corresponds to 01:21:21:21 on your tape if you are laying off that way). You also have to make sure your tc offset is calibrated correctly for that deck in FCP. I could explain it, but the manual does a decent job of explaining how to calibrate your tc offset if you haven't done so already.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Luke Lindhjem
on Dec 3, 2006 at 3:40:24 pm

Once drop frame timecode is actually striped on the tape the timecode matches up just fine--so I'm not convinced calibration is the issue. From the Edit to Tape window in FCP, I've clicked on the Black and Code button, selected 'AJA Kona2: DVCPRO 50 29.97', then checked the drop frame box--with starting timecode at 00 58 00;02. The Panasonic AJ-SD930 deck, even though it is set up for DF (DF MODE 0000 under No.509 menu setting, with LOCAL ENA 0002 ENA under No.001), then stripes the tape with non-drop timecode. After this happened more than once, I looked at Menu No.001 on the deck and found that the LOCAL ENA setting had changed from 0002 ENA to 0001 ST&EJ (Only the STOP and EJECT buttons can be operated). According to Panasonic's manual, drop frame mode is valid only when the CONTROL switch is set to LOCAL or the setup menu No.001 (LOCAL ENA) is set to ENA. It seems that FCP is somehow automatically changing this setting on the deck in order to control the deck, thereby striping the tape with nondrop timecode. Would love to hear if anyone has experienced this...
Thanks,
Luke

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 3, 2006 at 7:06:40 pm

So just park your timeline on black, enter in a manual tc for the deck and manually hit play and record and stripe the tape that way. That should lay down df tc that way. Skip FCP black and code.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Luke Lindhjem
on Dec 3, 2006 at 7:26:45 pm

Right, that's exactly what I've done. What I was asking is if anyone else has encountered this problem in FCP? Can anyone from Panasonic, AJA or Apple weigh in on this? Could it be a firmware issue?
thanks
Luke

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 3, 2006 at 10:21:46 pm

I think you answered your own question about the df tc settings that you mentioned earlier on the deck. Your deck has to be in local or df tc. Easy enough.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 3, 2006 at 10:46:06 pm

[JeremyG] "Your deck has to be in local or df tc"

Sorry, typo, Your deck has to be in local FOR df tc.

Return to posts index

Luke Lindhjem
on Dec 3, 2006 at 10:56:29 pm

I really wish that were the case, Jeremy. FCP seems to be changing the setting on the deck under LOCAL ENA from ENA to ST&EJ automatically, as I mentioned before. This is what's causing the tape to be striped with nondrop timecode. As we've found, the workaround is to stripe the tape with sync from the deck and bypass FCP altogether. I'd like to take this a step further to see where the problem originates--whether it's FCP, firmware on the K-box, or firmware on the AJ-SD930.
thanks
Luke

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 4, 2006 at 2:49:04 pm

Alright, luke, you got me confused. SO when you are successful at striping a df tape, and then you go to insert edit your sequence, FCP changes your deck back to ndf?

Is that what you are saying?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Dec 16, 2006 at 7:22:56 pm

hmmm...

Stay with me here...

Perhaps, FCP expects your deck to be set to NDF (your deck only supports NDF under machine control). Its simply toggling the TC format to the opposite setting. If you already have the deck set DF, it simply toggles it back to NDF--the opposite of what you want. Remember, your deck really doesnt support DF under machine control, so FCP may have very limited communication with it...it does not know your deck is set to DF already.

Try setting your deck to NDF and setting DF in FCP only.

Sorry if you already tried this...its a long thread and kinda confusing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]