FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Sequence Video Processing Settings for Kona 2

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Anderson
FCP Sequence Video Processing Settings for Kona 2
on Nov 30, 2006 at 7:11:48 am

Hi everyone,

I had a post a few days ago outlining an interesting issue where we are we are onlining an HDCAM 1080p 23.98 show on a FCP system with a Kona 2 and then delivering it as 10-bit RGB DPX files for color correction using an avid symphony nitris. Eventually the color corrected DPX sequences will be output to film.

Anyway, rather than deliver to color on HDCAM we've decided to do the DPX output from the Kona system. We've digitized the reels using the Kona 10-bit RGB codec. Once the online is complete, we will export a QT reference movie and then use the QTtoDPX applicaiton to create the sequences. Our tests thus far have worked out well.

My question involves clips we need to render while working within Final Cut Pro. Under the Video Processing tab of the sequence settings should we choose "Always Render in RGB" or "Render 10-bit material in high-presecion yuv". Since we originally captured the material as RGB, do we need to render in RGB? Does this setting only have an effect on clips that need to be rendered via FCP?

Thanks....

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: FCP Sequence Video Processing Settings for Kona 2
on Nov 30, 2006 at 1:26:02 pm

[Craig Anderson] "Under the Video Processing tab of the sequence settings should we choose "Always Render in RGB" or "Render 10-bit material in high-presecion yuv". Since we originally captured the material as RGB, do we need to render in RGB?"

Sine you are using the Kona codec - stay in RGB --- QT is having an internal problems with 10bit color conversions and using the High Precision YUV you are doing a color conversion that is not wanted or needed.

you said HDcam = I am going to assume that you are talking about SR and not regular HDCam content.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Craig Anderson
Re: FCP Sequence Video Processing Settings for Kona 2
on Nov 30, 2006 at 8:38:15 pm

Thanks for the response -- We are actually talking about HDCAM standard and not SR. I know that the format doesn't support RGB but our colorist wanted delivery in RGB linear becasue we're planning for a filmout. Is this a bad choice?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]