FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona Lh or Decklink HD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dollystereo
Kona Lh or Decklink HD
on Nov 28, 2006 at 2:04:46 am

Im working in a HDV proyect. i use FCP in my G5 and have all captured via firewire using the HDV preset. I want to be able of previewing my work on a external HD 1080i monitor, to correct the color and then be able to down convert to Digital Beta. I was thinking on getting a Kona Lh or a Decklink. Wich one is better for my work? Is any of the 2 cards faster in realtime acceleration in FCP? What are the main differences between them?
I just want to be able of HDV, I am not interested in true HD or DVCPRO HD, cause I dont have a camera to record in those formats. Maybe I would like to capture via SDI from My HDV Z1 camera, just to try if it is faster than the FCP HDV codec (that is very slow).

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Kona Lh or Decklink HD
on Nov 28, 2006 at 5:35:16 am

My advice is to download the feature sheet for each product and compare the features. WHy would you post into a KONA forum and ask which one is better. Most people in this forum have made their product choices already. If you post this in the decklink forum they will say decklink here they will say AJA.

Go the respective websites and do your homework.

I will state that AJA support is unbelievable. I am very happy with the Kona2 that I own. I would not consider switching if I had to make another purchase.

Does that help?

David

Peace and Love :)

Return to posts index

dollystereo
on Nov 28, 2006 at 11:25:29 am

I have already done my homework, I need to know from people that have the cards, Why they choose them. People that actually work with them. Not just read in their web sites, each web site says their card is incredible. Sorry but I need real life opinions.
Thanks Anyway

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Nov 28, 2006 at 4:17:02 pm

Hi Dolly,

If I may, I can offer you a few things that make the KONA LHe unique:

- DVCPRO-HD hardware acceleration. KONA LHe does the scaling work involved with FCP using this codec (this feature being jointly developed between Apple and AJA) thereby freeing the Mac Pro's CPU's from this task, so they can do other things, like more RT!

- HDV hardware acceleration. (see above, but for HDV playback in FCP).

- Dynamic RT Extreme hardware acceleration. (see above, for Dynamic RT Extreme in FCP).

- 10-bit hardware-based HD to SD Downconversion. AJA downconverion (as with any of our conversions) are done in hardware, which means it is codec agnostic, can be always-on, can be applied to any input or output, and is of a pristine broadcast quality. The down-converter works with 1080 and 720 material, all in hadrware (and again not tying up the CPU's with this task).

- KL-BOX breakout box option. This is a 1RU robust breakout box, that offers convenience as well as additional connectivity. It comes with a 1-meter thether cable, but an incredible 5-meter thether cable is also available! The KL-BOX-LH is only $299 US.

- 3-years of AJA Tech Support, which includes Advanced Exchange!

...perhaps other "power users" of KONA may chime in with more feedback. Also, please feel free to contact AJA if you require additional information.

Thank you,

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

dollystereo
on Nov 29, 2006 at 4:39:38 am

What about the matrox box? The MXO, i think it lets you monitor HD signal with a Cinema Display better than the AJA and the SDI to DVI converter.
Color correction will be nice to have.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 29, 2006 at 12:33:07 pm

[dollystereo] "What about the matrox box? The MXO, i think it lets you monitor HD signal with a Cinema Display better than the AJA and the SDI to DVI converter."

That's a completely different product for a completely different purpose than the Kona LH or Decklink HD. Do you need a capture card or a display device?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

dollystereo
on Nov 29, 2006 at 2:33:57 pm

Both, more than a capture card i Need a color accurate display for my HDV footage, and professional downconversion system, to deliver my entire project in SD.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 29, 2006 at 2:38:10 pm

[dollystereo] "Both, more than a capture card i Need a color accurate display for my HDV footage, and professional downconversion system, to deliver my entire project in SD."

Then you want the Kona so you can view your project on a professional High Definition Color Accurate Monitor, not on an Apple Cinema Display. The Kona also gives you realtime downconvert from your HD timeline direct to tape during Edit To Tape.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

dollystereo
on Nov 29, 2006 at 2:43:22 pm

So, wich Kona card is for me?
I think my setup would be, Kona card, SDI2DVI converter and an apple cinema 23" for a cheap descent color correction monitor. Then I would be able to downconvert to BETA D, and have a accelerated workflow in my G5.
Sorry but I dont have the money to buy a professional HD monitor. (That would be the perfect setup anyway).
Thanks!
Kona 2 o 3? (just for HDV)

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 29, 2006 at 2:47:27 pm

[dollystereo] "I think my setup would be, Kona card, SDI2DVI converter and an apple cinema 23" for a cheap descent color correction monitor."

The only cheap decent color correction monitor I recommend is the Panasonic 1700W LCD. Apple monitors are not for color correction.

[dollystereo] "Then I would be able to downconvert to BETA D, and have a accelerated workflow in my G5."

LH is fine for downconverting.

[dollystereo] "Sorry but I dont have the money to buy a professional HD monitor. (That would be the perfect setup anyway)."

Then pick up a 37" Panasonic HDTV Pro Plasma dispaly. About the same price, if not cheaper, than an Apple 23" Cinema Display and has much more accurate colors. We have our 50" Panny tuned to almost perfectly match our Sony broadcast HD monitor.

[dollystereo] "Kona 2 o 3? (just for HDV)"

Kona 2 is ONLY for PCI-X G5 machines. Kona 3 is ONLY for PCI-e machines which are the G5 Quad and all Mac Pros. If all you need is downconver with no upconvert, the LH or LHe will work fine.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

dollystereo
on Nov 29, 2006 at 3:08:12 pm

But both panasonics, the 37" plasma and the 1700w doesnt support full 1080i. Is that bad the apple display (999USD) not that expensive.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 28, 2006 at 6:31:59 pm

[dollystereo] "Sorry but I need real life opinions."

Real Life Opinion is I tested the AJA Kona 2 and the Decklink HD Pro side by side a few years back when I needed to replace my CineWave. Long story short, we currently two Kona 3 suites and a Kona 2 suite. The products work exactly as advertised and with Kona it's pretty much anything in / anything out.

The big thing about the Kona's are they are used in many broadcast applications like the Super Bowl, World Series, etc... so it's trusted with "mission critical" work. Broadcast products have to work all the time, every time, especially in a live event.

You pay more for the Kona cards, but you really get what you pay for in addition to the best support team in the business.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]