FORUMS: list search recent posts

SOT: Adding Firewire ports?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Irwin
SOT: Adding Firewire ports?
on Nov 27, 2006 at 11:20:18 pm

I want to add a few firewire 400 ports to my mac pro for various lesser used items like the i sight camera and epson scanner. However this is the same computer that I have a kona LHe installed in. Are there any conflicts i should be aware of, or are there particular firewire cards that will play nice with the kona? Also, I've been assuming that PCIe slots are not backward compatible with regular pci cards? in other words, I need a PCIe firewire card right?

thanks, tim

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: SOT: Adding Firewire ports?
on Nov 28, 2006 at 12:43:58 am

yes, you need a PCIe card, and you better get one that does not slow down the buss speed. The Scanner and iSight will not conflict with the Kona LHe, but I urge you to NOT use any firewire 400 drives on this system (even if you
didn't use the scanner or iSight) - start using SATA - either the SATA drives that will pop into your MacPro, or external SATA products.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tim Irwin
on Nov 28, 2006 at 4:21:52 am

Bob, Thanks for the tips. i'll be running almost exclusively off of four internal sata drives in the mac pro. and almost exclusively dvcprohd, so shouldn't have any probs there. No firewire 400 drives :) So any old pci firewire card is ok?
Looking at this one http://siig.com/product.asp?catid=1&pid=999

gracias, tim

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 29, 2006 at 12:36:26 am

boy, I don't know. It's a 1 lane card, and it's PCIe. It should probably go into Slot 2 of your MAC Pro, your Kona in 3, and your real future storage in slot 4.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Randy Burleson
on Jan 4, 2007 at 5:33:29 pm

Bob,
Are Firewire 800 drives OK? like the GTech GRAIDs?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]