FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 2 - capture HDV as DVCPROHD via firewire?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
WideWorld HD
Kona 2 - capture HDV as DVCPROHD via firewire?
on Nov 27, 2006 at 5:50:44 pm

Pardon me for asking this but I didnt find the answer I searched for...

I understand that the Kona 3 allows you to capture HDV as DVCPROHD via firewire. Does the Kona 2 allow this as well? (if so, how does the setup work...I dont seem to see anything that indicated this in the presets)

Thank you.

Sterling Noren
WideWorld HD Productions

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Kona 2 - capture HDV as DVCPROHD via firewire?
on Nov 27, 2006 at 8:29:12 pm

[WideWorld HD] "I understand that the Kona 3 allows you to capture HDV as DVCPROHD via firewire."

I do not know where you got this- but you CANNOT capture via FW with the Kona 3 or Kona 2 both of these cards capture baseband video over HDSDI not over FW.

you can use a HD10AVA or HD10A converters with the either Kona 2 & Kona 3 or use the Kona LH card to capture HDV into the DVCPROHD codec over the analog video out from the camera or deck

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Nov 27, 2006 at 10:52:59 pm

Isn't the IO set up for firewire capture?

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
on Nov 27, 2006 at 11:21:25 pm

I'm pretty sure the IO is Standard Def only.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 28, 2006 at 12:47:03 am

David and Justin -
why are you discussing the I/O. Sterling in his original question NEVER mentioned the I/O - yet you are discussing the I/O, and of course, this is completely incorrect. The I/O is Standard Def only, as you can easily see from simply reviewing the web site at http://www.aja.com.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
on Nov 28, 2006 at 5:34:16 am

My point exactly!

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Nov 28, 2006 at 5:55:07 am

im still in learning mode

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 28, 2006 at 12:49:51 am

Hi Sterling -
I don't know what equipment you own, but I am going to ASSUME that you own an HDV camera or HDV VTR. If you have a Kona LH or Kona LHe, you can input the analog HD signal into FCP as DVCProHD - NOT VIA FIREWIRE !!!!!! Via the BNC connectors. FORGET FIREWIRE - make believe it does not exist.

For the Kona 2 or Kona 3, if you own a HDV camera or HDV VTR, purchase the AJA HD10AVA, which will transcode the analog HD Y Pb Pr signal into HD-SDI, and embed the analog audio, so you can put this directly into your Kona 2 (or Kona 3).

FORGET FIREWIRE exists (unless you own an AJA I/O box, and use it for this application only).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

WideWorld HD
on Nov 28, 2006 at 1:23:50 am

Thanks Bob - Its pretty much as I assumed - capturing HDV as DVCPROHD via FireWire is not possible. I always knew this but read some posts that indicated otherwise so now I will shut up and get back to work.

I am considering purchasing the LHe for my home studio and will be capturing HDV as DVCPROHD via the analog outputs on my camera. For audio I will run the camera outputs through a mixer and convert to XLR cables for the Kona input. And for device control I would still be using FireWire. Are there any issues here Im missing? Audio sync....will it work okay this way?

Thank You

Sterling Noren
WideWorld HD Productions

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Nov 28, 2006 at 5:31:50 am

An easy way to remeber this is that Firewire captures are always data stereams and can not be converted VIA firewire.

WHEN RECORDING VIA FIREWIRE

DV IS DV
HDV IS HDV

DVCPRO HD is DVCPRO HD
DV50 is DV50

Technically Firewire is a data stream or a digital file transfer.

The only way to capture to alternate codecs is to capture via the HD-SDI Stream, when the video is coming in that wawy it can be captured in various formats.

Gary was spot on in his inital reply.

FYI the I/O uses the firewire Bus to transfer data. It is basically an IN OUT conversion box between either A to D or D to D depending on which box you buy. It acts like a video capture device on the firewire bus instead of on an internal PCI bus.

Whew! Bob you are right, threads get confusing for no good reason. how did the I/O get mixed up in this.

David

Peace and Love :)

Return to posts index

Deadhead
on Nov 28, 2006 at 10:43:35 pm

isn't there a new Sony HDV deck that has HD-SDI out?

If so, wouldn't this be the best way - to get it into the Kona and capture as

DCpro HD?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 28, 2006 at 11:24:38 pm

yes, you are correct - Sony will SOON release the HVR-1500, which is an HDV VTR that has HD-SDI built in to it.

1) this VTR is not released yet.
2) this VTR will cost more than a HVRM-15U or HVRM25U, and there will always be the people that simply will not want to spend the money for the HVR-1500. So thank God that products like the HD10AVA and Convergent Design HD-Connect-MI exist.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

HD Freak
on Dec 14, 2006 at 1:51:48 pm

"I am considering purchasing the LHe for my home studio and will be capturing HDV as DVCPROHD via the analog outputs on my camera. For audio I will run the camera outputs through a mixer and convert to XLR cables for the Kona input. And for device control I would still be using FireWire."

I have the Sony Z1 and the Lhe card, Mac Quad and FCP.
I read AJA's document on importing from HDV to DVCPro HD. But all they talk about when it comes to Sony is using one of the Sony decks, not the camera component outputs. When talking about one of the other cameras they talk about using firewire as device control.
I have'nt been able to get this to work yet so if any of you can throw any light on this I would greatly appreciate it. The Lhe card is expensive so I really want to make best use of it by capturing DVCPro HD straight from the camera. Do I have sufficient equipment or is one of those adapters needed?

Terence

Would be DVCPro HD editor
Interested in everything HD

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 14, 2006 at 2:02:55 pm

[HD Freak] "When talking about one of the other cameras they talk about using firewire as device control.
I have'nt been able to get this to work yet so if any of you can throw any light on this I would greatly appreciate it"

Your Firewire needs to be set up for DV, not HDV, for device control. This is also true of the decks.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

HD Freak
on Dec 14, 2006 at 3:43:50 pm

Thanks Walter,

I'm in Pal land so in the settings I have:
Sequence Preset: AJA Kona LH 1080i 25 DVCPro HD
Capture preset: AJA Kona LH 1080i 25 DVCPro HD
Device control preset: Firewire Pal

FCP cannot "initialize the video deck" is the message I get. I changed the settings on the camera to output DV but that has'nt changed things.

Any advice

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]