FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 monitoring

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Issko
Kona 3 monitoring
on Nov 27, 2006 at 4:17:54 am

In the lead up to buying my Kona 3 (AKA Media 100 HD Suite) and associated HD gear, I am seriously considering the much recommended Panasonic BT-LH2600W LCD monitor. Great size & features.

So how does this compare to the new Sony Bravia X series LCD TVs?

Now I know that the 2600 has HD-SDI in and various features but from a picture only perspective, wouldn't the 40 inch Bravia X TV (the SMALLEST in the X Series) compare favourably albeit with analogue HD component input. The only downside I see with the Sony is it's very large size, a possible issue in a usually compact edit suite.

Any comments please???

Thanks
David Issko

Return to posts index

uncompressed
Re: Kona 3 monitoring
on Nov 27, 2006 at 7:17:38 am

they do not compare. one is to professionally monitor editing, the other is to enjoy in your living room.

Return to posts index

david issko
on Nov 27, 2006 at 11:30:23 am

have you had the opportunity to check them side by side?

it seems to me that because the sony has a much larger pixel count than the panasonic, and because good consumer lcds are of quite high quality the sony may be in with a chance.

i currently monitor my edits with a 16:9 Loewe tv and all i receive are comments on how great the picture looks on the tv.

i do however feel the panasonic will be the way for me to go but i feel that a comparison test may surprise some people. it would be nice to know how they compare.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 27, 2006 at 12:33:39 pm

[david issko] "have you had the opportunity to check them side by side?"

I have yes.

Without a blue gun setting there is not any way to calibrate a consumer tv set for professional results.
As a client monitor or as a larger preview display in addition to a pro unit- no problems, as a stand alone professional solution, no.

The panasonic display also offers waveform, split screen, digital inputs, and is a viable solution for monitoring in an low cost professional HD suite

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

David Issko
Thank you Gary
on Nov 27, 2006 at 10:51:35 pm

That is the feedback that I was hoping for. Someone who has seen a side by side comparison. Just with all the Sony "hype/propaganda" surrounding the X series as the "true HD screen capable of displaying the full HD resolution" it would be interesting to see just how it compares to others.

I will be seriously considering the Panasonic.

What monitor do you use in your HD suite(S)?

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
Re: Thank you Gary
on Nov 27, 2006 at 11:19:30 pm

Well,

After doing all the research we have decided to edit with the BT-LH1700W. Haven't seen it yet, but it's on the way.

I thought about using Dells or Apple Displays, or even going the consumer LCD route, but at this point we no longer have to compromise and charge accordingly.

If you can afford it- go pro.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 28, 2006 at 12:58:18 am

Hi David -
I am not sure what you do for a living, or what your background is, but many of your comments indicate that you do not have exposure to a professional environment. Sony makes professional LCD monitors for this application - they are called the LUMA series, like the LMD-232, which compete with the Panasonic BT-LH2600W. The products you are discussing are consumer products. I would like to stress to you that anything that you can purchase at Circuit City, or Best Buy, or CostCo is NOT PROESSIONAL EQUIPMENT. Anything you see at PROFESSIONAL DEALERS, or advertised on Creative Cow, or professional trade magazines, is oriented towards PROFESSIONALS. This is not to say that there is no use for consumer TV's in conference rooms, or even as a client monitor in an edit suite - but PROFESSIONALS use expensive equipment, with all the cool features that are required by us. This is why we charge LOTS OF MONEY to do the job that a high school student tries to do with crap that his mom buys him at the local stereo store. As our market changes (or converges), you will find pro-sumer gear that is very useful at music stores, or the Apple Store at the mall as well.

Sony's hype of HD is unimportant when it pertains to their consumer line. If you would like to discuss the Sony LUMA series, which is a professional
HD LCD monitor, I would be more than happy to discuss this.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Nov 28, 2006 at 6:49:26 am

Hi Bob,
my CV in a nutshell:
late 70's to 1986 worked as a technical director at the leading TV station where I live. I have electronics diploma and TV operators certificate.
1986 started my own video production company
2006 Still own and run the very same video production company I started 20 years ago. I have TV programs, TVCs and many corporates under my belt and continue to create them.
Primarily use Digi beta DVW-970P/DVW-M2000P with Betacam SP PVW2800P, DVCAM DXC-D50/DSR1P, DSR40P & (yes the toy) DSR11 support. Media 100 8.2.2 AE & Photoshop together with FCP 4.5 on my Power Mac Dual 2Ghz 2 Tb of internal & external HDD & LOTS more.

I have a large and loyal client base and I know my STANDARD DEF PAL video editing - no problems.

I am heading into HD very soon and will continue to ask many, many questions concerning any and all things HD. From CineAlta to X Series Bravia and anything in between. I am in a HD learning phase and yes, I don't get all my HD comments correct the first time.

I know I was discussing the Sony consumer product - the X Series Bravia. I stated this in my first post - Panasonic monitor vs Sony TV. It was a simple question just to see who, if anyone has compared the Sony to the Panasonic. It was 1 (overpriced) consumer product vs a cost effective professional product.

For some, my question seems like a stupid one. I make no apology for that. If you feel that my questions are too silly to answer in a calm and professional manner, it may be best that you simply ignore it and move on to someone else's question. However, I do value your opinion when answered in a professional manner, just like your kind offer to discuss the LUMA monitor series from Sony. Yes, I am aware of the LUMA monitors and I thank you for your kind offer to discuss this product.

So your guessing that I am not in a professional environment was poor guesswork on your part. I do not wish to get into an argument with you or anyone else here or on any other forum, but I do expect a decent level of professionalism in your answer should you choose to answer my question.

You are also in a superior position to me with your High Def experience. Use it wisely, not in a condescending manner.

Thank you for your kind understanding Bob and I look to be as knowledgeable in HD very soon as you are today.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 28, 2006 at 11:27:30 pm

no matter what, I always get myself into trouble !
Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Issko
Thank you Bob...
on Nov 29, 2006 at 1:03:29 am

You have done well with your comment!!!
I had a good laugh.

I really am learning this HD stuff and as you will no doubt agree, one really learns by making mistakes and at least trying never to make the same mistake again.

I really do enjoy this forum and read all of your comments. In fact I look out for them as I have learnt over the short time that I have been posting here, that you have a unique manner. This mostly works FOR you and your posts have taught me a lot about HD.

I hope you do respond to my future posts but hopefully in a constructive manner.

Thank you

David Issko

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 29, 2006 at 4:41:44 pm

[David Issko] "What monitor do you use in your HD suite(S)?"

I have a mix of displays from a very highend barco (on loan) to Sony PVMs and Panasonic LCD's (17, 26, & 32) to 50" Sony Bravia and 42" Panasonic plasma.

I love the 17" panny display and it has become my main monitor on location.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]