FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro & Kona LHe & Sony Z1U

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
frank21
Final Cut Pro & Kona LHe & Sony Z1U
on Nov 26, 2006 at 5:20:01 am

I just got a new Mac Pro, Final Cut Studio and the AJA Kona LHe card for editing purposes. I

Return to posts index

david issko
Re: Final Cut Pro & Kona LHe & Sony Z1U
on Nov 26, 2006 at 11:50:54 am

hi frank,
let me start by saying that i don't own any kona cards just yet. very soon though.

but in my research and reading this great forum, i have come to inderstand perhaps just a little.

as there haven't been any quick responses probably because of the shopping season getting underway, i will try to help as best i can t im sure walter or bob, the very experienced contributors will respond shortly.

have you set your kona software settings correctly first? this might help you with your picture quaty issues. is you kona card in the right slot because it may perform better in certain pci slots.

i hope you sort your problem out quickly as i understand that you shold be able to obtain quite stunning results from your setup. all the best.

david.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 26, 2006 at 3:17:25 pm

You can set the camera to output HD (1080i, not 480) and output directly into the Kona LHe as an HD signal and capture this DVCProHD 1080i. (do you know how to set your camera, by going into the menu's). Edit your entire job in HD - it will look great, and not take up much space on your drives if you work in DVCProHD (what drives are you using).

You will be very happy with the pictures.

When you are ready to output, or even simply view the Kona LHe on a TV monitor, you simply go into the Kona Control Panel, select the analog output tab, have it downconvert to 525, and you can output to either a TV, your VHS machine, or a Beta machine (and if you are working with SDI, output to a Digi Beta VTR).

If you start with the camera set to output a 480 signal, and capture this way, you will be unhappy.

You say that your audio is out of sync - if you are monitoring the audio output of the Kona LHe, the audio will not be out of sync. If you are monitoring the output of the MAC G5 for audio, your audio will be TOTALLY out of sync - as it is for every capture card. You should get a little mixer and a set of powered speakers, and monitor the output of the Kona LHe.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

ken hon
on Nov 26, 2006 at 7:35:54 pm

Bob's advice is correct, you don't want to downconvert until you have finished the edit and you do want to monitor directly from your Kona card. An alternative workflow that we use sometimes is to bring in the HDV footage as 1080i via firewire. Edit as HDV, then set your output on the Kona card to 525i. You can monitor what the SD output will look like as you edit on a standard monitor. You can then lay out the SD project to Digibeta using SDI or to something else with the component out. The nice thing is the Kona card will let you choose aspect ratio and type of trim during the downconvert. You can also conform the HDV project at the end (takes some time) and lay an HDV version back to tape. If you are doing lots of graphics though, your probably better using Bob's workflow.

Aloha,

Ken

Return to posts index

david issko
on Nov 26, 2006 at 8:01:26 pm

what type of hhd would one require to edit in hdv?

is it possible to use fw800 drives like lacie extreme?

or do i require 4gb fc raid setup?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 26, 2006 at 8:17:12 pm

if you use DVCProHD, you can "get away" with FW800, but you are better off with a SATA array from Sonnet or Lacie. If you want uncompressed HD (not for this application), you can get the CalDigit S2VR, which will do 10 bit uncompressed HD. If you have lots of money (which no HDV owner does), you can get a 4 Gig fibre channel solution.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Issko
Thanks Bob....
on Nov 26, 2006 at 10:36:20 pm

your prompt reply covers the workflow requirements in a nutshell and based on your previous responses to others, confirms what my understanding is with storage devices for HD.
cheers
David

Return to posts index

SeaMusic
on Jan 1, 2007 at 5:44:48 pm

What about using the HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recording Unit from Sony. You can simultaneously archive your work and also get 1080i direct to disk. The question I have here is that this is still NOT true HD but HDV right? Is there anyway to get true HD output from the Z1u or do you have to step up to JVC GY-100, 200 etc...The biggest issue I have with the HDV format is in seeing artifacts when shooting lots of movement. Anyway to get around these HDV artifacts when using products like direct to disk and AJA KONA 3?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]