FORUMS: list search recent posts

Funny Fan Noise When LHe is Install in G 5 Quad 2.5?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TimCole
Funny Fan Noise When LHe is Install in G 5 Quad 2.5?
on Nov 24, 2006 at 12:13:58 pm

Hi,
I have a Power Mac G5 Quad, and it makes noise with fan kicking on after it goes to the sleep mode? I took all the 3rd hardware off it, memory, drives and etc. The LHe Kona I have installed and when my quad is put on the "sleep" mode the fans kick on?, but when I move my mouse it stops? Anyone of you guy have this problem? Thank you Tim C.

Return to posts index

Mikey MTC
Re: Funny Fan Noise When LHe is Install in G 5 Quad 2.5?
on Nov 25, 2006 at 3:48:05 am

We've got the same rig as you - LHe and Quad G5.
This probably isn't the answer you want to hear, but for my money, don't let computers running stuff like this go to sleep! We've got the video rig and a high end Pro Tools audio studio and you're asking for trouble letting these computers sleep when they're managing all this time sensitive material with sample clocks running, etc etc.

We just set the monitors to blacken themselves after 30 or 60 mins. Sleeping just seems to start trouble!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 25, 2006 at 5:53:10 am

Tim,

One of the very first things you should do when setting up a FCP system is to disable all sleep and power saving functions.

DRW

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 25, 2006 at 6:09:14 pm

And also shut down at the end of the day/night/4AM instead of sleep unless you have a compelling reason to not shut down (such as network renders, SANs or what have you). IN this case do what David says and leave the mac running normally and use the monitors energy savers which they should have if they are recent within 5-10 years. OSX was designed to run and run and run with minimal restarts and shutdowns.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mike Parfit
on Nov 29, 2006 at 2:36:44 am

Hi,

I agree with the no sleep rule. However, just for your information, we had the same thing with both an LHe and a Kona 3 in our quad G5. The computer would sleep fine without the cards, but would take off and fly down the hallway if you tried to get it to sleep with a card in it. We also had some significant kernal panic problems at first with the Kona 3. I'm not sure why those crashes have largely gone away.

We tried it for a while and after good consultation with AJA tech support, have used the Kona 3 sleeplessly now for six months with few problems.

Good luck,

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]