FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona with G5 and MacPro

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Larson
Kona with G5 and MacPro
on Nov 22, 2006 at 7:20:15 pm

I'm looking to add a Kona LH to my PowerMac G5 (with PCI-X), but I will also be replacing this G5 with a MacPro within a year. Is there any way I can swap a Kona LH into a MacPro when I upgrade?

Right now I have a Kona 2 and an IoLA, but we will be moving to an all-SDI set up soon, and I will need a way to digitize SD footage in SDI. Now that I think about it though, maybe I should add an IoLD to the Kona 2?

Return to posts index

jpicune
Re: Kona with G5 and MacPro
on Nov 22, 2006 at 8:55:39 pm

The IoLD does what the Kona 2 does (SDI in and out), minus the HD that the Kona adds. It sounds like you have everything you need for now, unless you need Analog HD. If not I would just buy the Kona LHe when you get the Mac Pro.

Jared Picune
Idea Spring Editing, Inc.
Denver Final Cut Pro UG
Geeky Mac | FCP Tips & Tricks

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 22, 2006 at 9:12:01 pm

your Kona 2 does standard def SDI with embedded audio, as well as HD-SDI. Its a simple choice in the EASY SETUPS ! You don't have to spend one penny right now.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Dec 4, 2006 at 3:49:44 pm

[Matt Larson] "I'm looking to add a Kona LH to my PowerMac G5 (with PCI-X), but I will also be replacing this G5 with a MacPro within a year. Is there any way I can swap a Kona LH into a MacPro when I upgrade? "

Great option... but Mac Pros are PCI-E. So if you do purchase a Kona LH, you'll want to wait until you get your Mac Pro so that you can purchase the Kona LHe.

I'd say... stick with your Kona2 with the IOLA for now until you upgrade. There is no options on the Kona LH that will benefit you compared to the Kona 2, other than its an all-in-one card. As a matter of fact, the Kona 2 can do more than the Kona LH. You have up and down-conversions with the Kona 2.

Let me ask... what kind of work do you mainly do? The reason I ask is if you do mostly HD now, you might want to consider the Kona 3 since it has cross-conversion. That is very important is you do mainly HD.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]