FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHE & FCP Sequence Settings for DVCProHD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
balfred
Kona LHE & FCP Sequence Settings for DVCProHD
on Nov 22, 2006 at 2:28:59 am

I'm attempting to set up my first use of Kona LHe and believe I've got all the settings correct... I want to capture using the Kona DVCProHD settings. If I use the preset for sequence settings for DVCPRoHD 1080i, it gives me HD(1280 x 1080) (16:9), w/ a Pixel Aspect Ratio that matches. This results in a horizontally stretched image in FCP, and on my external monitor.
If I change the settings to 1920x1080, and Square Pixels aspect ratio, the image looks fine on both monitors, but then I'm stuck with rendering my DVCPRO sequence, which is not what I want to do.
I'd very much appreciate any help with the settings to fix this!
Thanks,
Bruce

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Kona LHE & FCP Sequence Settings for DVCProHD
on Nov 22, 2006 at 1:44:15 pm

The easy setups are set up for 720p, not 1080i (it's unusual for DVCPro material to be captured at 1080i, but I know that is what CBS Network wants too). In addition to going into the SEQUENCE PRESETS to make your changes, you must match these changes in the Audio/Video Settings. Go to the Audio/Video Settings menu, select Capture Presets, scroll down the list until you see the one that has a check mark next to it, and double click on this. Another window will open up - it is here that you can change your compressor settings as well as the Pixel Aspect Ratio, so everything matches the sequence presets.

You can now see why EASY SETUPS was created for "most" applications.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 22, 2006 at 3:59:07 pm

[balfred] " If I use the preset for sequence settings for DVCPRoHD 1080i, it gives me HD(1280 x 1080) (16:9), w/ a Pixel Aspect Ratio that matches. This results in a horizontally stretched image in FCP, and on my external monitor."
This is correct..
all HD formats are compressed this manner, this is the correct capture and aspect ratio for DVCPROHD content from 1080 masters, and it does the same thing for the 720 format also. Contrary to Bob's comments, there are a number of companies shooting 1080i then using the DVCPROHD compressed format for Post production. The panasonic cameras are very popular in News and local productions and most of the newer models support 1080i at acquisition.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

balfred
on Nov 22, 2006 at 5:20:40 pm

[gary adcock] "this is the correct capture and aspect ratio for DVCPROHD content from 1080 masters, and it does the same thing for the 720 format also. Contrary to Bob's comments, there are a number of companies shooting 1080i then using the DVCPROHD compressed format for Post production."

Gary,
Thanks, but is there a way for me to setup in the Kona or Final Cut so that I can see the image "correctly" in Final Cut and on my external monitor (rather than stretched.)
--Bruce

Return to posts index

mactrix
on Nov 23, 2006 at 4:10:56 pm

"Is there a way for me to setup in the Kona or Final Cut so that I can see the image "correctly" in Final Cut and on my external monitor (rather than stretched)."

What video output are you using?

In FCP check in your Viewer and Canvas windows if "Show As Sq. Pixels" is activated.
You can find this option in your zoom control popup menu.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]