FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does Size Matter?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
808Marcus
Does Size Matter?
on Nov 17, 2006 at 1:16:49 am

Hi,

Just switched over from Media 100 to FCP on a new 2.66 Mac Pro. Setup with a new KONA LHe which digitizes from a Sony BETA SP PVW-2800. I am capturing and creating sequences of 8-bit uncompressed SD which is stored on an internal RAID 0 of 1.5 TB.

I notice that the AJA KONA captures at 720x486, but my Sony Camera, DXC-50WS with PVV-3 BETA SP, is 640x480. I am producing broadcast commercials and some corporate videos, and know that on a consumer TV they won't see the edges, but is that normal. Or am I missing a capture setting for 640x480 with the AJA KONA LHe?

Thanks for the input in advance.

Aloha,

Marcus Reimel

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Does Size Matter?
on Nov 17, 2006 at 4:06:43 pm

Media 100 never worked in the true broadcast sizing. 640x480 is really a computer standard that Media 100 made work in outputting to tape. I used M100 for about 6 years and it was a great system.

True NTSC broadcast is 720x486 which is probably what your camera should really be shooting. You thought it was 640x480 because that's what Media 100 captured at. Use the Uncompressed 8bit SD Kona setting and you're good to go.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 17, 2006 at 5:05:51 pm

[808Marcus] "I notice that the AJA KONA captures at 720x486, but my Sony Camera, DXC-50WS with PVV-3 BETA SP, is 640x480."

the difference is called over-scan and it can be used to hold some ancillary data.

on a consumer set the over-scan is cropped off on delivery, so the final image is 640x480

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 17, 2006 at 5:49:29 pm

Also, 640x480 is a square pixel set while 720x486 in non square pixel which also might be sort of confusing to you when making the switch. It confused me the first time I did a project on FCP3 after editing on M100. If you use photoshop at all (which is a square pixel environment) you will have to conform your images to non square by first designed at square pixel then squeezing. After Effects handles the aspect ratio conversion very well for you, Photoshop does not. There's a section in the FCP manual that you should read about creating graphics in photoshop.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]