FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATTO FC card and Boot Camp?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
fergush
ATTO FC card and Boot Camp?
on Nov 13, 2006 at 4:18:55 pm

Is anyone successfully using an ATTO fibre channel card and Boot Camp with Windows? With the beta release of the Mac Pro-compatible ATTO FC driver, I've finally started using my ATTO fibre channel card and it works great in OS X. Unfortunately, I also have to occasionally run Windows on the same Mac Pro, using Boot Camp 1.1.2. Having the ATTO card is preventing Windows from booting. I get a text-based screen at the start of the boot cycle but it goes no further (there's a flashing "_" symbol at the bottom of the screen).

Since there seem to be a lot of ATTO users in this forum, I'm hoping somene may have had this problem too and know an answer.

thanks,
fh

Return to posts index

fergush
Re: ATTO FC card and Boot Camp?
on Nov 13, 2006 at 4:57:49 pm

Well, I got my answer from ATTO. They know about the problem and simply said "Nobody supports Boot Camp yet. We'll starting supporting it when OS X 10.5 comes out". Wow, those guys are idiots! Time to start looking for an alternative to ATTO, I suppose.

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Nov 13, 2006 at 5:36:36 pm

For as long as I can remember, ATTO has always been behind the curve when it comes to development. Almost always you can count on them to be at least one year behind. And their offense is.... "Well, who else are you going to use?" If you are planning to do HD video, then ATTO is the only "guy" on the block that can do this thru fibre channel at the moment. Apple will be the only real competitor, but they are slow to develop also.

Sie La Vie!

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 13, 2006 at 6:35:22 pm

[fergush] " Wow, those guys are idiots! Time to start looking for an alternative to ATTO, I suppose."

what one second, yourkona card is not supported under bootcamp either.

I get my atto card to run by using a separate boot volume for windows on my Macpro rather than trying to get the machine to run inside of the Apple/unix OS.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

fergush
on Nov 13, 2006 at 7:17:29 pm

I don't care if the Kona or ATTO cards don't work in Windows: I just don't want them to stop Windows from booting. Right now, I can't even boot into Windows because the ATTO card stops it from working. What's odd is that it sounds like it's working for you. What ATTO card do you have? I am running Windows on an entirely separate drive on my Mac Pro.

Regards,
Fergus

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 13, 2006 at 8:01:45 pm

[fergush] " What ATTO card do you have? I am running Windows on an entirely separate drive on my Mac Pro. "

I am not running windows inside of the mac os, I only boot directly into XP. and I am not having any issues.
I am running a 42ES card.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

fergush
on Nov 13, 2006 at 10:03:45 pm

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not running Windows inside of OS X. I boot holding down the option key and choose the Windows installation that's on a separate drive. How did you get XP on your Mac Pro in the first place?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 13, 2006 at 10:22:28 pm

[fergush] "I boot holding down the option key and choose the Windows installation that's on a separate drive. How did you get XP on your Mac Pro in the first place?"

I removed the mac system drive, put in a blank hard drive in that slot, then held down the mouse after rebooting to get the CD to eject and then inserted the XP installer disk and started the install. I had no additional hardware or drives in the computer while I did this.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

fergush
on Nov 14, 2006 at 4:13:17 pm

Huh, very interesting! Do you also have OS X on this computer, installed on a separate drive? Seems like a silly question but I do know of some people here who've bought a Mac Pro just to run Windows.

regards,
fh

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 14, 2006 at 2:51:08 am

The stupdity in this thread is almost beyond belief. ATTO is "behind the curve" because ATTO does not get support or advanced releases of the products from Apple. They have to figure it out themselves, and don't get machines before any of us do. My snide remarks come from the fact that when the MAC Pro came out, APPLE (and their subcontractor) was NOT READY with their Fibre Channel Card for their own Apple XServe RAID, but ATTO WAS READY (at least the card worked, and saw the Xserve RAID). When you say "time to start looking for someone else" - WHO is absolutely a correct response. APPLE is not going to help Adaptec, LSI Logic (except when LSI builds the FC card for Apple), QLogic, ATTO or ANYONE ELSE. The same thing happend when the MAC QUAD came out with the PCI Express buss. It would be NICE if APPLE send their development partners a computer, and a phone number for software support, but they DO NOT. I guess APPLE does not consider ANYONE ELSE who makes host adaptors their partner, other than APPLE.

Do you think that APPLE is helping AVID get the Media Composer application working on the MAC Pro ?

OK, Mr. Smartie pants ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

fergush
on Nov 14, 2006 at 4:31:02 pm

So, are you asking a question or just pointlessly ranting? ATTO's response that sounded like "we're not going to think about it until it's released" is pretty unrealistic. I'm not asking that they make their product *work* with Boot Camp; I'm asking that they make their product not *break* Boot Camp.

"It would be NICE if APPLE send their development partners a computer, and a phone number for software support, but they DO NOT."

You're incorrect. Apple does *exactly* this. AJA is a good example. They knew about the EFI update before it was released and had their greater-than-2GB problem fixed very quickly. ATTO didn't even have a Mac Pro for *weeks* after the Mac Pro shipped and they still don't have a released driver for their FC cards (a beta but not a released driver).

"Do you think that APPLE is helping AVID get the Media Composer application working on the MAC Pro ?"

Um, yes, actually. Do you think it's in Apple's best interest to force an Avid user to switch to Windows? Apple makes most of it's money from hardware, not software. Apple supports a huge number of companies that compete with them. It's why they have the World Wide Developer Conference every year.

fh

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 14, 2006 at 5:13:23 pm

[fergush] "You're incorrect. Apple does *exactly* this. AJA is a good example. They knew about the EFI update before it was released and had their greater-than-2GB problem fixed very quickly. ATTO didn't even have a Mac Pro for *weeks* after the Mac Pro shipped and they still don't have a released driver for their FC cards (a beta but not a released driver)."

AJA is an exception. I know of three major companies that I speak to on a regular basis that literally had engineers and staff going to Apple Stores on the day the machines were released trying to get one. I'm not even sure AJA actually had the machines in-house prior to their release or if they were able to solve the problem so quickly becuase they work directly with the FCP team. ATTO does not and neither do most of the 3rd party vendors. AJA has proven to be one of the best partners Apple has and that's why they are able to work so closely with the Apple team and solve issues quickly.

The fact that it took ATTO weeks to get a machine does not surprise me in the least.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

fergush
on Nov 14, 2006 at 5:23:16 pm

"I know of three major companies that I speak to on a regular basis that literally had engineers and staff going to Apple Stores on the day the machines were released trying to get one."

Yeah, I was one of those people! ;-)

My point isn't that Apple is perfect - they are far from it. My point is that Boot Camp is a beta but it's been out for a while, isn't going to go away and is going to get wrapped up in the OS. I don't expect ATTO to support it but I think they should make sure their product doesn't actually break it. They are going to have to do that work anyway - it's a pay now or pay later-type thing. I've just got no time for vendors who stick their heads in the sand. Part of the price of being an Apple developer is working around Apple's weirdness and I'm disappointed that ATTO doesn't seem to be trying. At the end of the day, it's a business decision on their part (I don't actually think they are idiots) but I think it's a bad one. It's a bummer to have to use Windows but it's even more of a bummer to have to use another computer to do it. Not the end of the world though...

regards,
fh

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 14, 2006 at 5:44:49 pm

[fergush] "My point is that Boot Camp is a beta but it's been out for a while, isn't going to go away and is going to get wrapped up in the OS. I don't expect ATTO to support it but I think they should make sure their product doesn't actually break it. They are going to have to do that work anyway - it's a pay now or pay later-type thing."

I'm curious just how many people will actually install Boot Camp and Windows on their FCP editing systems. I know I wouldn't do that and I honestly haven't heard one other editor mention the need or want to do that. I see Boot Camp / Parallels / Windows more for laptop folks or graphics folks.

Would be an interesting survey for sure to see just what kind of demand there is for that scenario. I can't imagine there would be much, but you never know.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

fergush
on Nov 14, 2006 at 5:57:07 pm

That's a very interesting question. I think you're right and most people wouldn't want to mess with a primary editing system. I can't imagine we'll ever see Windows versions of Apple's pro apps (what a horrible thought!). I guess I could see someone might want to use it if they wanted to check output (say, Web video output) on Windows. However, for that Parallels would probably be more appealing or VMware (which I'm using a beta of right now; pretty nice). Another example would be if you've got to accept files from someone on Windows and you need to be able to use the native format - something like Premiere Pro or Avid. But I think you're right.

It's still weird to me that the best Windows desktop is now made by Apple! We're buying a lot of Mac Pros instead of Dell Precision Workstation 690s. The Mac is quieter and cheaper and, in most other areas, equal. It doesn't run Vista well yet but I'm Apple will soon change.

fh

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 14, 2006 at 2:53:53 am

[fergush] "Wow, those guys are idiots! Time to start looking for an alternative to ATTO, I suppose."

Not really. Apple is secretive with their stuff that all 3rd party vendors get their machines the same time we do. So it takes a long time for the third party vendors to catch up.

Your Kona card is not supported under Windows anyway so what you're trying to do won't work. You'll need a Xena card which will probably make the Mac side of your machine not work.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

fergush
on Nov 14, 2006 at 4:16:02 pm

"so what you're trying to do won't work"

I don't care if the Kona card (or the ATTO card for that matter) doesn't work in Windows. I need to occasionally boot into Windows. The Kona card doesn't get in the way of this working but the ATTO card does.

Return to posts index

sahara7
on Jan 30, 2008 at 3:22:14 pm

It works on my Quad-Core Intel Xeon with Leopard,Win XPSP2,Aja Kona 3 , Ciprico 4210 with Atto card. I can run Win but I cant see Ciprico

Return to posts index

johannes eichberger
on Sep 26, 2011 at 8:27:41 am

Hello,

I would like to ask if there is anything new since 2006/08 and if anyone is using an ATTO FC Raid within Boot Camp. I'm working on a Mac Pro 12Core Intel Xeon X-5670, and for 3ds Max, I run Windows 7 using Boot Camp. An AJA Kona 3 and an ATTO FC Raid are installed, and it would be nice if I could use the FC Storage.

Regards,
silverbeat

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]