FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cross Convert with Kona 3 ???

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Wilson
Cross Convert with Kona 3 ???
on Nov 13, 2006 at 4:35:10 am

AJA's new release notes with the new driver talks about new 720p23.98 hardware capture support using 1080psf 23.98 via the control panel. How do I implement this with Final Cut ? Cannot find any documentation explaining and need it asap.

Thanks much,

Don Wilson

Don Wilson
AmericanaMediaInc.com

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Cross Convert with Kona 3 ???
on Nov 13, 2006 at 5:13:29 am

There are easy setups for it. Read the release notes.

Basically you want to select the 720p 23.98 easy setup for whatever codec you want. Just don't use the setup with Varicam in the name. The Kona card will detect that your input in 1080 23.98 and do the cross convert.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Don Wilson
on Nov 13, 2006 at 7:08:38 am

Jeremy,

Glad you replied. You may have an idea here........

I got myself into a setup I'm not happy with but have to deal with it. Shot everything 720p24DVCProHD, sequence settings at 720p24 but I have a ton of hurricane footage on home video formats DVD, DV etc and I'm still not real happy with the results of getting it into the project. I use the Kona 3 with Mac Pro, SCSI, SATA raids etc. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Don Wilson
AmericanaMediaInc.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 13, 2006 at 1:18:10 pm

[Don Wilson] "I got myself into a setup I'm not happy with but have to deal with it. Shot everything 720p24DVCProHD, sequence settings at 720p24 but I have a ton of hurricane footage on home video formats DVD, DV etc and I'm still not real happy with the results of getting it into the project."

If you're mixing a bunch of regular 29.97 material into the 24p project, I would capture all of your Varicam mateiral at 720p/60 which is really 59.94. This will allow your regular SD material to very easily cut into your HD show since the frame rates will match. Your 24p material will retain that "film" look and the other stuff will look like regular video.

Trying to convert all the 29.97 material into the 24p show will take a lot of time you may never quite get the results you're looking for. Shake has a time converter that works pretty well and you can do a decent 29.97 to 24 in After Effects. Cleanest and easiest edit will be to stay in 59.94 on the HD side.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 13, 2006 at 5:05:29 pm

I am going to have to go a different way than Walter here. I don't blame you for wanting to edit in 24p. I choose to edit that way too. I have had some good luck upconverting interlaced footage with the Kona (dv or Beta SP) to 720p60 and then using compressor to convert the 720p60 to 720p24. If you really want outstanding quality (but a huge time suck) use compressor through and through. Capture your SD material as SD, use the advanced format conversion in compressor and turn on all the high quality optical flow options and you will get a great upconvert and frame rate conversion all in one. Again, this takes a lot of rendering time. Yet another option is to use the Kona to upconvert to 720p60 and then use Graeme's plug in to convert 720p60 to 720p24, but compressor is pretty much the same as doing this. http://www.nattress.com

You could also run all the footage through a terranex converter and upconvert that way, but that will cost you.

There's also some other uprez plugins out there, Resizer is one that comes to mind, but I have no experience with that. There's also Algolith for AE, and Instant HD for FCP.

As always, there's more than one way to skin the cat. At least some people say it that way.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Don Wilson
on Nov 13, 2006 at 9:41:47 pm

Thanks Jeremy. Which Nattress plug in are you referring to? I may have it. I've tried several of his and noting yet. I like him and supporting him so I'd like to buy that one anyway. I'll give compressor a spin....never really gotten in to it yer but will. And thanks again.

Don Wilson
AmericanaMediaInc.com

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 13, 2006 at 10:51:28 pm

I think it's Film Effects v2.5 or something like that.

Compressor is great if you have the time. Terranex is great if you have the money.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Cross Convert with Kona 3 ???/alternate question
on Nov 14, 2006 at 2:55:25 am

I have an alternate cross conversion question for the AJA Kona 3. You do your entire job in 720p, and now want to "cross convert" it out to 1080i. The job is already finished inside your MAC at 720p (having used the Kona3 to capture the job at 720p). If you go into the Kona control panel, when you select 1080i, it doesn't "stick" - so I know that I must be doing this wrong. How do you cross convert to 1080i, once the job is on your machine at 720p ?

Thanks -
Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 14, 2006 at 3:01:20 am

If you set the Control Panel output to "Secondary 1080i" it should stick even with the 720p timeline. I'm pretty sure that's how I do it, not in front of the machine right now.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 14, 2006 at 5:15:59 am

What Walter says or you can control click the output and set it to 1080i (secondary). Keep FCP in the 720p easy setup and do all the conversion with the 'secondary' function of the control panel is what it basically boils down to.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 14, 2006 at 4:18:48 pm

Bob

it is my understanding when cross converting your master needs to be in the frame buffer to correctly convert the footage, so if your main content is 720 that is what the frame buffer (and timeline) needs to be set to ,then you can set the output to be 1080 and it should stick.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]