FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD 1080p24 downconvert to PAL SD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark.Burton
HD 1080p24 downconvert to PAL SD
on Nov 10, 2006 at 11:06:40 pm

Figuring out a workflow for a long form project. Likely to use a Kona 3, capture HDCAM-SR 1080p24 to DVCPROHD codec for offline. Happy making Quicktime's etc, but as is often the case we will need to make BetaSP's or DVCAM's for sound/music etc. I know Quicktimes are easier, but SD tapes will be asked for at some stage for sure.

Coming from a film SD offline background, I would usually make SD tapes with PAL 12+1 field pulldown (maintain film speed), which provides a relatively smooth picture.

How does the Kona 3 handle downconvert from 1080p24 to SD PAL? Is there any field pulldown introduced or is it a 1 frame jump every second?

Thanks
Mark

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: HD 1080p24 downconvert to PAL SD
on Nov 11, 2006 at 2:28:41 pm

[Mark.Burton] "How does the Kona 3 handle downconvert from 1080p24 to SD PAL? Is there any field pulldown introduced or is it a 1 frame jump every second?"

The Kona 3 does not do frame rate conversions, you will need to conform your HD project to 25 prior to making the down convert.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Jeremy Newmark
on Nov 11, 2006 at 4:09:17 pm

Mark,

Is your final delivery 25 or are you just needing 25 dubs for audio and other areas of your workflow? Because there are a couple of different ways to approach this depending on a few parameters. Some options are obviously more expensive then others and some have benefits that other options don't. Will you be going out to film, HD, SD or straight to DVD?

jeremy

Return to posts index

Mark.Burton
on Nov 11, 2006 at 10:04:00 pm

Thanks guys. Basically I'm specking an offline setup for a feature. Shooting D20, recording to HDCAM-SR 1080 24p. The final delivery is film so we will stay in 24fps land all the way through.

The need for SD film speed dubs is that sound and music will undoubtedly not want/be able to use HD tapes and although Quicktimes will almost certainly be what we can send them, I wanted to know up front what our options would be if we go the HD offline route as opposed to the well trodden SD PAL offline.

Converting to 25 is no use unless it maintains film speed, so it sounds like this option is out. Not a major issue, just good to know up front.

Thanks
Mark

Return to posts index

Jeremy Newmark
on Nov 14, 2006 at 11:30:07 am

Mark,

If quicktimes are no problem, then simply edit in HD at 24p and export sd resolution quicktimes. We give our audio department 24p photo jpeg at %75 quicktimes and it works great for them. They have a good looking sd resolution version at 24p and file sizes are not to large.

best regards,

jeremy

Return to posts index

Mark.Burton
on Nov 14, 2006 at 8:12:47 pm

Thanks again for the suggestions. In the end, we are going to cut this in SD as its just so much easier to interface with all the external requirements. PAL DVD's, NTSC DVD's, Beta SP's etc. are all going to be needed for various departments and its just easier for now to sacrifice the DVCPRO HD quality and go with an SD workflow.

I'm more confident this is the right space for this project and having found out a bit more about what's expected of us, this will certainly be the only realistic way to go about it.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'll be keeping an eye on the Kona for HD offline in the future.
--Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]