FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thank you AJA!

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
walter biscardi
Thank you AJA!
on Nov 10, 2006 at 1:44:07 pm

Just had to share this with the forum because it's something I'm mighty darn proud of.

We sent off a test HD master to a new international HD network that will be launching next week. Got word this morning that it's the best looking HD they've ever seen. That's on top of a US Network telling us last year that our HD work is the best they are receiving, "by far."

So a big Thank You to the folks at AJA for giving us the tools that allow us to compete with much larger HD Post facilities. We're just a small shop in a very large pond and it's nice to know that our quality not only holds up to stringent network Quality Control checks, but it singled out as an example of what HD should look like.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Jeremy Newmark
Re: Thank you AJA!
on Nov 10, 2006 at 2:05:40 pm

Walter,

Congratulations! Was this a project that you finished uncompressed, or was it DVCPro? Just curious, because I know you do a lot of DVCPro work.

best regards,

jeremy

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 10, 2006 at 2:08:31 pm

[Jeremy Newmark] "Congratulations! Was this a project that you finished uncompressed, or was it DVCPro? Just curious, because I know you do a lot of DVCPro work."

Both projects are shot and posted using a DVCPro HD workflow. One project is delivered via HDCAM Master while the other is now delivered DVCPro HD. They QC'd a test DVCPro HD master and we just blown away by the quality so they said, "nope, you don't need to deliver HDCAM, this looks great!"

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Nov 10, 2006 at 2:31:49 pm

I understand your personal pride, but I would also suggest that you give a bit of credit to whomever shot the material in the first place. Good looking material doesn't get that way purely because of a good post path, although a bad post path can certainly harm good material. In any case, I'm sure the director of photography would thank you for your efforts, and you should do the same.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 10, 2006 at 2:56:01 pm

I'll post this here too as I posted it in the FCP forum as a follow up to this post there too:

I too used the Kona products for our output of The Mexican American War for the History Channel and it passed QC without one picture note (the only notes referred to issue with closed captioning). And the engineers were very pleased with the result, and surprised at our workflow.

The AJA folks (with the urging of Jon Thorn) made sure to add functionality to the Kona 3 to upconvert 720p to 1080p on the fly in real time, specifically because our delivery specs changed MIDWAY THRU THE SHOW from a 720p master to a 1080p master. AJA heard our dilemma and produced a card and firmware that solved it...because they knew more and more networks would be demanding 1080p masters...and that our workflow would become more and more common.

So, not to steal Walter's thunder or anything, but I too wanted to pat AJA on the back and thank them for making my life easier.

And I would like to give a great thanks to my DPs Kevin O'Brien (who shot with the varicam) and Andrew Parke (who shot with the HVX200) who gave me fantastic images to work with.

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 10, 2006 at 3:25:04 pm

[Mike Most] "I understand your personal pride, but I would also suggest that you give a bit of credit to whomever shot the material in the first place. Good looking material doesn't get that way purely because of a good post path, although a bad post path can certainly harm good material. In any case, I'm sure the director of photography would thank you for your efforts, and you should do the same."

In the case of "Good Eats," absolutely, those guys are the best crew I've ever worked with. Marion Laney is the D.P. on that show and Marshall (I don't know his last name) is the Key Grip. Those guys do an incredible job of lighting and camera angles and Marion spent a lot of time perfecting the "secret sauce" to bring about the current look of Good Eats. Also thank the work of SteadiCam operator Ramon Engle. My job is made much easier becuase of the work they put in.

In the case of the other show, um, let's just say our Post work made the photography look much better than it really was and leave it at that.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]