FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHe workflow- Drive, and System Setup

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TimCole
Kona LHe workflow- Drive, and System Setup
on Nov 8, 2006 at 10:11:07 pm

Hi
I just got a Kona LHe card and I was wondering what is the most rock solid setup for component capture storage for HDCPRO that works the best with my Sony HDV-Z1U? I already have one dedicated drive for editing in FCP 5.1.2 (HDV). I was told by a Tech and AJA, that it would be less processor intensive and more efficient to capture in component mode in the DVCPRO format. I am shooting weddings, etc,and I want to make my workflow more smoother, and as of right now I keep on having to re-render all clips in the timeline in HDV 1080i 60 format. I was informed the working in the DVCPRO option, I would have more preformance in realtime editing. What is the best and most reliable drive to work with in HDCPRO format without have a bunch of dropped frames and chaos? scsi? firewire 800 external?, SATA raid? Fibre Channel drives? I would assume this would be uncompressed in realime, 8 bit and 10 bit.

Thank for your help! Tim C. Mac Quad, G5, 3.5 gigs memory

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Kona LHe workflow- Drive, and System Setup
on Nov 8, 2006 at 11:07:28 pm

Tim writes -
What is the best and most reliable drive to work with in HDCPRO format without have a bunch of dropped frames and chaos? scsi? firewire 800 external?, SATA raid? Fibre Channel drives? I would assume this would be uncompressed in realime, 8 bit and 10 bit.

REPLY - if you want to work at DVCProHD, you can use Firewire 800, or SATA raid, or Fibre Channel, or SCSI. All of these will work for you, without Chaos ! Firewire 800 is the cheapest, in my opinion SATA is the best bang for the buck (I use it all the time), and of course Fibre and SCSI are teriffic, but more expensive. They will all work. What won't work - FIREWIRE 400 !!!!! or the internal boot drive of your MAC.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

TimCole
on Nov 8, 2006 at 11:45:41 pm

Hi
Thank you for you reply, so the Firewire 800, external will work 10 bit, and 8 bit HDVproHD? and the SATA will need a pci express card to run out externally? I have a 500 gb SATA inside already, dedicated for capture with FCP, if I go with a SATA what controler is the best?
Thanks, T.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 9, 2006 at 1:14:49 am

listen, the best thing to do today is not the cheapest thing. If you want cheap, you can get a FW800 drive, and get away with it. But if you get a CalDigit SATA array like the S2VR or a Sonnet SATA card with a Sonnet Fusion 500P chassis and 5 SATA drives, you will have a smoking system, that will blow the doors off of a FW800 drive. And if you REALLY spend the money on a HUGE SYSTEMS fibre array, the FW800 drive will seem like a joke. But how much do you want to spend. $3000 - $4000 will get you into SATA with 2.5 Terabytes. $500 will get you a good FW800 drive. It always comes down to how much money you want to spend.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

shorelinedigital
on Nov 9, 2006 at 4:07:05 am

Whattabout a similar system in a macpro? With a boot drive in the expansion bay and raiding 4 SATAs in the chassis?

I've looked atv the CALDIGIT too and that looks excellent. opinion?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 9, 2006 at 6:36:36 pm

If you have no money, you can stick THREE SATA drives into the MAC Pro (leave your boot drive alone), and do SD and DVCProHD all day long. The CalDigit S2VR is an excellent choice as well.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

TimCole
on Nov 10, 2006 at 11:11:19 pm

Hi
How about the CalDigit S2VR Duo-500GB? Excellent for DVCProHD 10 and 8 bit with Kona LHe? Thank you, Tim C.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 10, 2006 at 2:39:40 am

related question:

The consensus on this forum is that DVCPro50 is an excellent codec. I am not clear on why it is so great; for me the chief advantage is that it sounds like a great "common denominator" for sources from Beta SP to HDV. But in any case I have a problem using DVCPro50, even though I have a Kona LHe.

I have a Sony HDV (Z1) but am trying to avoid buying a deck. I could capture component from the Z1, but the audio would be unbalanced. Do you recommend:

(a) simply capturing Firewire, and using the DV codec, so as to obtain clean video and audio, or

(b) capturing DVCPro50/unbalanced audio?

- Bob C

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 10, 2006 at 1:35:43 pm

wait - you are buying an HD CAMERA ? correct - this is a Sony HDV camera, correct ? DVCPro50 is for STANDARD DEF, not HD, and DVCProHD is for HD, not standard def. DV is for standard def as well. If you want HI DEF, this requires more bandwidth, and faster drives than standard def. If you own the Mac Pro, and can put two cheapo SATA drives inside the MAC Pro to record the HI DEF signal, what is the problem here? If you are trying to understand why you can't use a FW400 drive for this media, (and I apologize if this is not your intention, and I am mis understanding you) - I won't participate in this conversation anymore.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 10, 2006 at 8:29:13 pm

Thanks Bob. My post was unclear, but no, I wasn't considering FW drives, just the FW cable to export from the Z1.

re: the HDV camera -- I am using the HDV camera for SD out. Within FCP, for reasons that I don't fully understand, the experts on the FCP forum recommend the DVCPro50 format. But in order to digitize to that codec, I have to export from my Z1 camera in component video and unbalanced audio. I now realize that even if I buy the M25 deck, audio is exported as unbalanced. On the Kona LHe, with the breakout box, I'd have to use an XLR adapted for unbalanced audio.

So I'm asking for input as to whether I should use the iLink (Firewire) feature of the Z1 camera and edit in DV, or whether I should export component video/unbalanced audio from the Z1, and edit using DVCPro50. Or... can I import using FW, and still somehow use the DVCPro50 codec. Or is that too much of a hassle?

Obviously I'm new to the FCP world (indeed, to DV in general; I'm a late convert from Betacam). So I think my question was a little more naive than you expected! But I would appreciate your input.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 11, 2006 at 3:54:27 pm

Hi Mr Cole -
you write -

Within FCP, for reasons that I don't fully understand, the experts on the FCP forum recommend the DVCPro50 format. But in order to digitize to that codec, I have to export from my Z1 camera in component video and unbalanced audio.

REPLY - I would like to know what "the experts on the FCP forum" means. There are experts in AJA, Blackmagic, and Aurora capture cards, but not general FCP experts that don't know these specific cards. Without knowing the exact cards used to capture the signal, there are no experts. DVCPro50 is a STANDARD DEF format, not a HD format. If you want to capture in STANDARD DEF, DVCPro50 is a fine choice, but it is not an HD format.

I now realize that even if I buy the M25 deck, audio is exported as unbalanced. On the Kona LHe, with the breakout box, I'd have to use an XLR adapted for unbalanced audio.

REPLY - if you use the camera RCA audio out, or if you use the HVRM-25U HDV VTR, you will have a low level -10dBu signal, that will be TOO LOW for the Kona LHe. You will need to boost this level up with a small audio mixer or line matching amplifier to +4dBu level. A simple RCA to XLR adaptor aint' gonna do it for you.

So I'm asking for input as to whether I should use the iLink (Firewire) feature of the Z1 camera and edit in DV, or whether I should export component video/unbalanced audio from the Z1, and edit using DVCPro50. Or... can I import using FW, and still somehow use the DVCPro50 codec. Or is that too much of a hassle?

REPLY - I am not a fan of Firewire capture - PERIOD. You have a wonderful AJA Kona LHe card - use it. Capture either standard def or Hi Def analog component video with the audio signal. If you want to go in HD-SDI, you can get the AJA HD10AVA, which will convert the analog component HD signal into HD-SDI AND embed your analog audio into the HD-SDI video signal - so you can just use one video cable to go into your Kona LHe from your camera or HVRM-25U. If you want to edit standard def, the DVCPro50 codec is teriffic. If you want to edit HD, the DVCProHD Codec is teriffic.

Obviously I'm new to the FCP world (indeed, to DV in general; I'm a late convert from Betacam). So I think my question was a little more naive than you expected! But I would appreciate your input.

REPLY - I know how confusing all this stuff is - its confusing to pros that do it all day long ! There is always something else new to learn.

You never learn until you make mistakes, and ask questions.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 12, 2006 at 1:08:57 am

[Bob Zelin] "I am not a fan of Firewire capture - PERIOD"

Thanks so much Bob. Your post really helped me to decide how to go here. I'm glad I have what it takes for a good editing path. My initial interest in the LHe was that I need to handle a number of different analog formats for editing; I'm happy to hear a knowledgeable endorsement of the LHe/DVCPro50 path. I'm still curious as to why you dislike FW capture. It certainly is convenient -- are you thinking about the issues of editing DV?

Re: the audio path, I don't know why I forgot the Mackie; I guess I was focused on the problem of having to input non-balanced audio.

Thanks again.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]