FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Vectorscope

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
spydrtwo
HD Vectorscope
on Nov 8, 2006 at 8:47:29 pm

I'm looking for an HD Vectorscope and waveform monitor etc. It seems that the most bang for the buck is the rasterizer type so that's what I have been focusing on. I'm trying to spend less than $9,000. Can anyone give me a model that they have used and find to be good quality or even point me in the direction of a scope that you would recommend with these parameters: HD SDI and Component input, can accomodate multiple formats of HD and SD video, bonus if it analyzes audio, and like I said above, under $9,000. Any information or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: HD Vectorscope
on Nov 8, 2006 at 11:11:06 pm

The least expensive HD scope on the market is the Leader LV7700, which is about $7000. This scope will do HD-SDI and SD SDI, but no analog formats. The Astro systems HD scope is about $9000, and no where as good as the Leader. The Hamlet is a piece of crap, and it ain't cheap either. Scopes from Tektronix and Videotek that do HD are teriffic, but cost over $12,000, making the Leader LV7700 a best buy. Soon, Walter will tell you to get Final Touch software, which will display a real time scope in software. Others will tell you about the built in waveform monitor display on the Panasonic BT-LH1700 and BT-LH2600, but these are waveform monitor only, not vectorscope function (if that is what you are asking about).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

spydrtwo
on Nov 9, 2006 at 4:30:02 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info. It was informative. The LV7700 is actually one of the front runners I've been looking at. Even better, I just got a quote for under 6000. This model seems to do a little bit of everything from waveform monitoring to the vectorscope function and also audio analysis which will just be handy to double check our mixes before laying off. Final Touch is certainly on the radar. I've seen demonstrations and it seems to be a powerful program. Now if only Apple can integrate it into Final Cut a little better... Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Timecode Multimedia
on Nov 9, 2006 at 4:47:56 pm

After weeks of research, we decided to purchase the Leader LV7700. It has the best quality & performance
for your money. The Tektronix is the BEST, but after you add all the extra input cards for SD- SDI, Component and
Audio you are looking at around $17,000.

We have not work on BetaSP component in a long time. Everything has been Digibeta, so the necessity of
component inputs really didn't matter to us. On the audio side, we get final mixes from audio places that we
sync up before mastering. All the features are great to have, but if you don't really need them, you can save on
our budget or apply it somewhere else.

I would recommend you to look very closely at your workflow and pinpoint the every day utility of all the features
in your measuring equipment. Many other pro-places like ours use the Leader.
Hope this helps.

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
President
Santa Monica, CA 90025
http://www.timecodemultimedia.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 9, 2006 at 6:41:14 pm

I agree with Stuart - in real life, I am now only installing Leader LV7700 waveform monitors. I was loyal to Videotek for a LONG TIME, but ever since Harris took over, and went crazy with the pricing and product line, I gave up, and went with Leader, which has always been a great company. I NEVER knew anyone in all my years of doing this, that would spend $17,000 on a scope.

I've said it before, and I will say it again - there is a WIDE OPEN MARKET for "someone" to have a $3000 rasterizer HD waveform monitor (no features) for sale. It is beyond me why someone doesn't do it.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

spydrtwo
on Nov 10, 2006 at 10:47:10 pm

Hey Stuart and Bob,

Thanks a ton for the information. I think the model I will go with is the Leader LV7700. I can live without the component inputs since most of what we do is on DigiBeta, D5, or HDCAM and the SDI inputs will be sufficient. The workflow we have established here in house doesn't require the audio function since all audio goes out of house for mixing, but it's kind of one of those nice features to have even though it will rarely come in handy. The only other brand I've ever used is the Tektronix, but that was an SD model. A quick question about the LV7700. It says you can set warnings if it reaches a user defined limiit. Does this give an audible tone or is it onscreen? From what I can tell the output to the monitor is a DVI connection. Can this be converted to run a regular vga/xga monitor?

Thanks again for all of your insight.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 11, 2006 at 3:56:25 pm

on your question "can it be converted to a VGA connection" - the answer is yes. I use the cheapest piece of crap VGA montiors for this with, and it works just fine.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 11, 2006 at 4:08:34 pm

[Bob Zelin] "Soon, Walter will tell you to get Final Touch software, which will display a real time scope in software."

Wait until the dust settles with the Apple purchase. But yes, the scopes are real time and in the new 2.7Beta release, they have what will be the next generation scopes which are even sharper than the older versions. And with the new release, they have more in store as far as the scopes and how they work.

So yes, for $5,000 they are the best scopes at that price and maybe we'll get lucky and Apple will somehow incorporate those scopes into a future FCP release.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Timecode Multimedia
on Nov 12, 2006 at 3:31:14 pm

Spydrtwo,
You're welcome.

Bob,
I get what you are saying, but what if someone doesn't have Final Touch or needs to measure levels from a tape,
After Effects, Photoshop or a dozen other reasons? I agree with you, software scopes will get better but I do not
think they will get as precise as a dedicated unit.

I remember Roland from Silicon Color telling me the new version 3 of FT will incorporate the scopes on the second
Apple monitor which will force us again to use it no matter what. Lets see what happens...

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
President
Santa Monica, CA 90025
http://www.timecodemultimedia.com

Return to posts index

nidal abou antoun
on Aug 22, 2013 at 6:49:56 pm

Hello Bob,
What about the Ultrascope from BMD?
Regardless of the cost you would need to invest on the compatible workstation as required, i have tested it and it looks fine and cheapest.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]