FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just got my Sony 330 XDCAM (One quick question)

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Allen
Just got my Sony 330 XDCAM (One quick question)
on Nov 3, 2006 at 10:10:01 pm

By the way, the footage looks outstanding.

Here's the question. I am using the Kona LH with a junction box and capturing through the component inputs (I know I am not taking full advantage of the format by doing it this way but it works for now.) I shot at 24p with the 35mb setting. What Capture and sequence setting in FCP do I use to import this properly. Will I use Kona 1080psf 23.98 DVCPro? Or Kona 1080i 29.97 DVCPro. I am just not sure what to use with this camera at 24p and 30p for Capture and sequence settings.

This is my first HD camera. Can someone give me a quick explanation of how this works. I feel the camera does not accuire the footage at 24fps but some kind of conversion (maybe pulldown is the correct term?) will occur when transfered or inside final cut pro. Will someone clear this up for me. I may decide to shoot at 30p next time to avoid the slight jitter. I am not sure how much I like the look.

Mike

Return to posts index

Scot Olson
Re: Just got my Sony 330 XDCAM (One quick question)
on Nov 4, 2006 at 7:10:57 am

You should be using Sony's XDCAM Transfer software. Read the Sony Whitepaper-

Final Cut Pro and XDCAM HD

Download the software -

XDCAM Transfer Software

Or you can find a link to the latest 1.1 release on the Sony UK website-

http://www.sonybiz.net/xdcam

Use the Kona LH for viewing XDCAM HD material - not capturing.

Scot

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Nov 5, 2006 at 12:58:15 am

Using the transfer software you will be able to import the files from the disc at twice real time. That cuts the capture time in half. I also noticed the colors are better on the imported files.

Return to posts index

Mike Allen
on Nov 6, 2006 at 2:40:48 pm

A few more details.

I am using FCP 5.0.4 at the moment. Can I work with the 35MB files in this version and import the way you mentioned?

I am wanting to work in the DVCPro Codec. If I use the kona card and come in component (for now) and I want to use the 24P and 30P (HQ mode) settings on the camera, what would my Capture and Sequence settings be with the kona. That was my question.

I do know that this in not the best workflow, and if I can use the one that you mentioned with 5.0.4 please let me know. However for now, can you give me a brief explanation of how to use component and my Kona to get the desired outcome?

Mike

Return to posts index

Jan Franz
on Nov 8, 2006 at 12:28:14 pm

The Sony transfer do not work at this moment for 35mbits file at least not for me. I use the Flip4Mac software. But you still have to install the Sony transfer software as it make it possible to see your camera as a hard drive on desktop. Flip4 can not reach the files directly so you have to copy the mxf files from camera to your HD and then import them from inside FCP. When I not have to use 35mbits files i use only the Sony Transfer software and all goes in one moment from inside FCP. The Flip4 has some buggs not showing all sound channels so check that up first. I think there is a differnence if you have recorded in 2 or 4channel mode.I think that 4 channelmode works but not 2channel that loses a channel when importing.
There is also a bug in Sony transfer showing the file name twice in finalcut. Turn off the direct import to FCP and let the transfer software just put the converted files to your acual HD. Then import the files manually from there and it will work fine.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Nov 9, 2006 at 6:21:14 am

The double import was fixed in 5.1.2 as well as importing 35mb files.

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Nov 9, 2006 at 7:34:20 pm

You really need to get the cross-grade for FCP. Its only $49 until the end of the year, then it goes up to $199.

Sony Transfer Software version 1.1 will only work with FCP 5.1 and up. FCP 5.1 (and up) give you full support for Sony XDCAM HD in all formats.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]