FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCPRO HD footage color shift in After Effects

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Lyon
DVCPRO HD footage color shift in After Effects
on Oct 28, 2006 at 12:24:31 am

Hi--

I'm editing a corporate video in FCP with Kona 2 hardware, using the DVCPRO HD codec. When I import files into After Effects, I notice an obvious shift in gamma and color saturation when compared to Final Cut Pro. I'd appreciate any ideas about why this is, and how I can work around it.

Here's the workflow:
Super 16 film, telecined to HDCAM 23.976psf.
Clips captured from J-H3 deck to DVCPRO HD codec 1280x1080 23.976 files in FCP.
Edited clips exported from the FCP timeline as reference files, which are imported into AE.
Final Cut Pro version 5.04, QuickTime version 7.1.3, After Effects version 6.5
Workstation is a dual 2.7 G5 running Mac OS 10.4.7

I hope this hasn't been covered before--didn't come up in my search of the forum. Thanks for your help!

Mark Lyon
Mighty Max Films

Return to posts index

Matt Larson
Re: DVCPRO HD footage color shift in After Effects
on Oct 31, 2006 at 4:51:48 pm

I asked this same question in the AE forum and was told to render into Animation codec from AE, bring that into FCP and rerender into DVCProHD.

My workflow for this so far, and I have been too busy to investigate any other options, is to render to 8-bit uncompressed from AE and import that into FCP ("stretching" the video from a 1280x720 square comp to a rendered 960x720 file on export). I bring that in to FCP and render to DVCProHD and edit away. No color shift. Then, when I'm going to export from FCP, I dupe my sequence, and change the new seq settings to 8-bit and render any DVCProHD footage to 8-bit uncompressed, then export.

I'll repost if I find a more straightforward solution. I should also add I am not using the latest drivers or Quicktime and I'm on 10.3.9. I will be updating my system soon however.

Return to posts index

Mark Lyon
Re: DVCPRO HD footage color shift in After Effects
on Nov 1, 2006 at 6:46:00 am

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]