FORUMS: list search recent posts

(3) 750 Barracuda drive raid

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
artgug1
(3) 750 Barracuda drive raid
on Oct 24, 2006 at 11:06:12 pm

I am considering adding 3 of the NS version (the server level) of the 750 gb Seagate drives to raid together, internally in the 3 open HD slots in my MacPro. I am wondering if anyone feels that these fast but hot drives will cause a heating issue if I have 3 of them inside a MacPro.

And if thats should be ok, what kind of performance do you think I can expect out of a RAID 0 setup between them.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: (3) 750 Barracuda drive raid
on Oct 25, 2006 at 12:38:10 am

they will work just fine, and you will get more than 120mb/sec, but less than 170mb/sec - which means you will be able to do everything except uncompressed 8 and 10 bit HD-SDI.
8 and 10 bit SDI, and DVCProHD will work just fine.

Bob

Return to posts index

jean-yves le moine
on Oct 25, 2006 at 7:05:17 am

to do uncompressed hd 8 and 10 bit you need 4 drives
put your system on an ata drive on the dvd bus

jean-yves le moine

temps r

Return to posts index

artgug1
on Oct 25, 2006 at 11:19:42 am

Humm, thats a good idea. Also, is there a nice enclosure to put 4 of these drives in an external SATA box? And will that give me uncompressed bandwith ?

Return to posts index

Fred Connors Jr
on Oct 25, 2006 at 1:36:53 pm

You don't need an enclosure, you have 4 SATA slots in you Mac Pro.

Get a 250GB ATA drive and put it on the ATA bus, mounted it in the second optical drive bay. Use this drive as your start up OS and Applications drive, it will be fine. Now you have four open SATA slots for the 750GB drives. Please note that these drives must have the newest firmware installed.
See http://www.barefeats.com/quad07.html

Fred

Return to posts index

fergush
on Oct 25, 2006 at 1:49:13 pm

Personally, I wouldn't do this. Apple has a tendency to mess with people who've got odd hardware configurations (e.g., an OS update is released which breaks your system). Also, with five hard drives in the computer, it's definitely going to be warm inside. Not enough to cause any harm, I'm sure, but warm enough to make your computer louder (thanks to the fan - particularly the one on the video card - spinning faster).

I would buy an external SATA enclosure. After reading many reviews (the ones on AMUG's site are great) and seeing the product in person at NAB, I got one of these:

http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-2eEN4/

I paired it with one of these:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_sata_e4p.html

The combination has been great. I get about 250 MB/second read and write. The enclosure is very quiet - about the same as my old G5 - and it works well with the new Mac Pro. There's no redundancy, of course, which is why a "real" array from someone like Huge is appealing but it's cheap, quiet and fast.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 26, 2006 at 1:52:30 am

this is not accurate information. 4 drives striped RAID 0 is NOT FAST ENOUGH to do RELIABLE uncompressed 8 or 10 bit HD-SDI. I have not tried the Cal Digit chassis that claims that they can do this, but I use Sonnet products all day long, and with 5 Hitachi or Seagate SATA II drives in the Fusion 500P chassis, with the Sonnet E4P, you are LUCKY if you can get PLAYBACK of 8 bit uncompressed HD-SDI - but you will not be able to write 8 bit HD-SDI to this chassis - it is too slow. (we got the playback to work by copying files from another array - it worked, but on the edge). You will NEVER get 10 bit uncompressed HD-SDI to work with 4 or 5 drives (again, I have not tried the Cal Digit).

HOWEVER, it is very easy, and relatively inexpensive (about $2500 more) to get another loaded Fusion 500 Chassis with another 2.5 Terabytes, and stick that into another port on the SATA card. With TEN DRIVES, there is no problem doing this, all stripped RAID 0.

There is a big difference between "barely getting it to work" and reliable playback for a real job with layers of video, titles, effects, etc.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Trish from CalDigit
on Oct 31, 2006 at 12:08:30 am

Hi Bob,

The CalDigit Team just read your post; if you would like to test out CalDigit

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]