FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 fcp and SONY HDCAM SR

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bal Deo
Kona 3 fcp and SONY HDCAM SR
on Oct 24, 2006 at 8:42:53 am

Hello all
Sorry for the duplication of posting. i have also posted this on the FCP FORUM.

Currently we have a system running Kona 2 and AJA IO on the G5. We are looking to expand our setup. One of the reuirements was that we need to be able to handle Sony HDCAM-SR, considering this is becoming popular as an alternative to 2K DI ( for cost reasons). Hence any advice on the set-up would be much appreciated, including anyone already using the Sony HDCAM-SR workflow with the Kona3 and MacPro machines.

Many Thanks
Bal

Bal Deo
StreetLife Productions
http://www.st-life.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Kona 3 fcp and SONY HDCAM SR
on Oct 24, 2006 at 9:19:31 am

The biggest issue you'll face is in the Storage area. We've experienced some major "teething pains" already trying to get high speed storage to work correctly with the new Mac Pro. Intel drivers just are not there yet and we've been incredibly frustrated with getting a storage solution to work as they have with PowerPC machines. The longer you wait for your purchase, the more likely you'll see companies come out with better drivers to handle the Intel architecture inside the Mac Pros.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 24, 2006 at 12:36:39 pm

I discuss and push SATA drives a lot on these forums, but you aint' gonna get 2K with current cheapo SATA drives - you need a big mama drive array, like the new big HUGE SYSTEMS drive array. A single 14 drive XServe RAID will not be fast enough for 2K files.

You say "low cost", but working in 2K with a SR5500 is not low cost. The ONLY thing low cost about 2k is the Kona 3 card (those crazy AJA guys !).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bal Deo
on Oct 24, 2006 at 4:54:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I was under the impression that the SRW

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 24, 2006 at 10:37:03 pm

your first post -
"One of the reuirements was that we need to be able to handle Sony HDCAM-SR, considering this is becoming popular as an alternative to 2K DI ( for cost reasons). "

OK - so do you need 2K or not ? The SRW5000 is a HD VTR for 1920x1080 (1080i). Th Kona does everything - your storage requirements will vary depending on exactly what you want to do. The more you want, the more it will cost.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]