FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD to SD Conversion not working on my Kona2

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Serpico
SD to SD Conversion not working on my Kona2
on Oct 17, 2006 at 4:48:48 pm

On both the IN and Out, turning on any of the SD to SD conversions, i am not getting a working signal.
I would compare what it looks like to lets say when you send a Pal or HD signal to a monitor which can not process it correctly.
I have reinstalled the software, and flashed the Firmware.

I assumed it would work as simply as the Kona's ability to up and down convert HD under the Secondary Format section of the Control Panel.
Am i doing something wrong?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: SD to SD Conversion not working on my Kona2
on Oct 17, 2006 at 5:45:25 pm

You mean HD to SD conversion? You leave FCP set up in your HD Setup and change the Control Panel for the SD Downconvert.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Alexander Serpico
on Oct 17, 2006 at 5:48:33 pm

No i am referring to the new SD to SD ability.

Return to posts index

Alexander Serpico
on Oct 17, 2006 at 5:49:46 pm

what you were recently posting about.
(http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?univpostid=861173&forumid=98&postid=861183&pview=t)

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 17, 2006 at 7:56:38 pm

Yep me too. i am getting exactly what you are getting. I put a call into AJA last night and then I got too busy to call back. Hopefully I'll be able to call them back today. I reinstall and reflashed (just like you) to no avail. As a matter of fact I had to revert to 3.1 as 3.2 kept crashing FCP. I'm back on 3.1 on everything's fine for the better part of the last 18 hours.

Bummer i could really use this feature. I want to update to the latest hardware anyway (K3 & MacPro), I'm just not taking the leap quite yet.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 17, 2006 at 11:46:12 pm

I had a chance to speak with AJA again today and they are looking further into the problem. Alexander, if you have a chance, give them a call or send them an email and tell them you are having a problem as well.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Alexander Serpico
on Oct 18, 2006 at 3:18:04 am

i will give them a call tomorrow after my morning session finishes up. thank you! and i'm looking forward to getting to the bottom of this....

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 18, 2006 at 4:26:12 am

Me too. I can't really afford to do a ground up install at this point. I hope we can get to the bottom of it. I saw your post in the chocolate thread. If you hear anything, let me know and I'll do the same.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Oct 18, 2006 at 10:49:18 pm

In the AJA control panel in the ANALOG OUT TAB swicth it to secondary for the SD to SD to work.

David

Peace and Love :)

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 18, 2006 at 10:57:52 pm

Thanks, David, for the help but this is not operator error in this case. The great support team at AJA called me back and thanks to Hector did confirm that it is a bug and they were able to replicate it. They were also very kind and gave me a work around until they can get it sorted out in a future driver release. I cannot take the time to reupdate the driver at the moment, but maybe you guys can and let me know if it works.

What needs to happen is that you open the control panel, set the primary to 1080i29.97 then set up the SD to SD conversion (turn it on) then go back to the primary being 525i29.97. I should be able to try it out in an hour or so.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Alexander Serpico
on Oct 18, 2006 at 11:21:29 pm

HEY JEREMY!

I just discovered that the SD to SD conversion DOES WORK when choosing "Macintosh Desktop" as the Default Kona Output.

So, is the answer simply that it wont work any other way? Or is there a bug with the other Outputs?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 18, 2006 at 11:32:33 pm

That must mean your mac desktop is set to 1080i (that's usually the default). You are then performing the workaround.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Alexander Serpico
on Oct 18, 2006 at 11:14:05 pm

too bad ive been busy non stop today, so couldn't call... going to now tho...
havent tested HD in yet either... but HD out does work fine.
hope this gets resolved, and is not a bigger issue than it seems....

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: SD to SD Conversion not working on my Kona2 - WORKAROUND DOES WORK
on Oct 18, 2006 at 11:20:32 pm

The workaround that AJA told me to do does in fact work.

Open control panel, set primary to 1080i29.97 then set the SD-SD conversion to whatever you want, then set your primary back to 525i29.97

Thank you AJA!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Alexander Serpico
Re: SD to SD Conversion not working on my Kona2 - WORKAROUND DOES WORK
on Oct 18, 2006 at 11:31:20 pm

I just posted that it did work when choosing "Macintosh Desktop" as the Default Kona Output.
Then from there, all the other outputs work until you get to input passthrough... then it bugs out again.

But ... i guess... mine is working now?

Return to posts index

Bill Portune
on Oct 18, 2006 at 5:00:01 pm

On my first try it didn't work for me also - I could only choose Off or Letterbox in the SD to SD conversion, and the signal was not usable. After some random switching of inputs and capture settings (both HD & SD) it did start to function as advertised, but then after a while my Kona 2 seem to lock up and wouldn't work at all. I had to shut the whole system down and let it sit for a minute or 2 just to get it to reboot. Once I was up the conversion was again not working, but after some playing I got it to work again. I've tried to recreate the steps to get it to fail and/or start working, but to no avail.

The other thing that I find not to work is Downconvert on the input side. With 1080i feeding my Kona 2, it will not down convert to 525 29.97 - upconvert works fine though.

I have not had any problems with crashing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]